Dietician Didn't Help

Options

Replies

• LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Honestly, since the dietician has more knowledge of you, then there might be a reason for the increase in carbs/calories and drop in protein. So, I'd be hesitant in making a recommendation.

Was there a medical reason stated for this recommendation?

I don't have any medical conditions, I saw my family doctor because I was having issues losing weight. I have my cholesterol, and thyroid tested. I was also tested for diabetes. Everything came back normal. She said I didn't have energy due to lack of carbs and I would have issues with my kidneys if I continued to consume as much protein. However, my ketone levels were low.

Carbs don't have to be bread and pasta. Carbs are veggies and fruit and starches as well. I would try it out and see if it helps.
  • FalvoPS
    FalvoPS Posts: 25
    Options
    Honestly, since the dietician has more knowledge of you, then there might be a reason for the increase in carbs/calories and drop in protein. So, I'd be hesitant in making a recommendation.

I don't have any medical conditions, I saw my family doctor because I was having issues losing weight. I have my cholesterol, and thyroid tested. I was also tested for diabetes. Everything came back normal. She said I didn't have energy due to lack of carbs and I would have issues with my kidneys if I continued to consume as much protein. However, my ketone levels were low.

Carbs don't have to be bread and pasta. Carbs are veggies and fruit and starches as well. I would try it out and see if it helps.

She was referring to bread and starch. I don't eat either one. I eat oatmeal in the morning.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any health conditions, I don't see why you can't just give it a try for a month or so. If it doesn't work, see someone else. If it does work, great!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Question everything. You don't need to blindly trust anyone just because they have a title. Do your own research and come up with your own conclusions.
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm in school for dietetics and even though I'm not registered, from what you'ver explained I agree with your dietician. Protein is good, but too much is both wasteful and harmful. I don't know how much she told you about that but our bodies have a harder time getting energy from protein than other foods because if its chemical composition. It requires extra work to digest it (meaning more calories burnt in digestion) BUT there is a limit to what your body can process per day and over-doing protein can really damage your liver and it becomes counter productive to your health and weight loss efforts. Our bodies can only tolerate 15-35% calories from protein per day on a long term plan.

In the same respect, carbohydrates are viewed as the "bad guys" but we need them for energy and normal function. Low carb intake can result in fatigue, impaired cognition, sleeplessness, and all sorts of other bad stuff. Feed your body and your brain with GOOD carbohydrates: whole grains fruits and vegetables. They will help stabilize your blood sugar and keep your body functioning at prime levels.

Last, there are not magic numbers or percentages. Everyone's goals will be different. 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat is a good basic place to start if you're feeling the lower carb thing, but if you're working out a lot (especially if you want to do cardio) you're gonna need your carbs for energy. Good fats will also keep your nervous system functioning well and keep your skin, hair, and nails beautiful. Good fats usually mean any kind of unsaturated fats, like plant oils, nuts and avocados.

I don't know if that will help clear things up but I hope so. Good luck!

THIS!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Maybe the reason that you lack energy for cardio is because your carbs are too low. I've read accounts by runners who try going low-carb, and it just doesn't fuel them properly to run.

This. Once I upped my carb intake to 40%, my workouts got a lot fiercer, and the inches (finally) started coming off.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

She was referring to bread and starch. I don't eat either one. I eat oatmeal in the morning.

I don't understand why you are arguing with everyone that is trying to suggest things or even supporting her recommendations. It's no one's fault but yours that you saw this particular type of dietician. If you aren't morbidly obese, why did you go to someone that was specifically for that condition? Just cuz that's what your doctor said? People, really, it's time to take a little bit more responsibility and push for resources, instead of getting prickly when what you're given doesn't meet your needs.

All a dietician can do is give you a suggestion anyway, it's up to you to implement. I highly doubt she was sitting there trying to diagnose you with conditions.

I'm not diabetic, nor pre-diabetic, but I have some body composition things that are suggestive of such, and therefore can mean that I'll respond positively to a diet geared towards people with those conditions. Ever think that that was the entire intention???
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    it depends on your body composition. if she did the right testing then you definitely need to follow her advice. For me i do 9 hours of spin and after seeing a nutritionist INCREASED mY calories and my PROTEIN. I read in class (I'm a certified personal trainer) that your carbs should be at 60% and protein and fat each at 20%. Thats the Mikkie Dee's diet..lol

We carry a lot of fat in our stomach. He are the same height and I am 27 pounds lighter trying to lose 40 myself.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The changes your dietician is suggeting are not that big of a deal. I'd do it just for kicks and see what happens. Maybe she's right? If not, you can always go back to what you were doing before. I don't see the harm in making a change and seeing what effect it has. Isn't that how you learn?

I agree with the question everything crowd. I do not trust anyone. I don't care how many years of school someone has, everyone comes at things with a bias and a point of view that might not be in line with your own at all. So, you have to figure it out. Getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion could help you. If they all say sort of the same thing, then that's good. If you get 3 completely different responses, that tells you something else about nutritionists; nothing bad, just what I was saying about bias and point of view.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm in school for dietetics and even though I'm not registered, from what you'ver explained I agree with your dietician. Protein is good, but too much is both wasteful and harmful. I don't know how much she told you about that but our bodies have a harder time getting energy from protein than other foods because if its chemical composition. It requires extra work to digest it (meaning more calories burnt in digestion) BUT there is a limit to what your body can process per day and over-doing protein can really damage your liver and it becomes counter productive to your health and weight loss efforts. Our bodies can only tolerate 15-35% calories from protein per day on a long term plan.

I was going to question you and make you realize half of the stuff you said was in correct, but to avoid multiple's post back and forth I will just get to the point.

Most of the thing you said are incorrect. How is protein harmful and wasteful? You talking about kidney issues ad things of that sort? That's mostly due to the fact that protein acts as diuretic, and people who suffer from high protein issues have a history of medical conditions. The liver, you talking about acidosis? That's more of a diabetic issue. You recommended more carbs, what if this poster is insulin resistant? you know. I can easily say "carbs are harmful." Protein doesn't go to waste, it sits there in the tract until it's absorbed. So that 15-30% or whatever you said is also invalid.

Our bodies have a harder time getting energy from protein, sounds like you're talking about gluconeogenesis. The body converts .48g of glucose from 1g of protein. Dietary carbohydrate sources aren't needed. Think about this, if it's "harder" for our body to convert protein in to glucose, and if we can only absorb 15-35% that would imply that we would use more energy processing protein and we would also not absorb 85 - 65% of protein meaning this would cause a greater calorie deficit and more rapid weight loss, is this true? No.

Just so we're clear, i have nothing against you, don't feel i am attacking you. My issue is what you're being taught.

Repeated scientific studies on the intake of protein do in fact confirm that even with a healthy person, excessive protein intake can cause damage to the kidneys. It's not a diuretic issue, it's because the protein doesn't break down and has to be filtered out. The body absorbs what it needs, and then dumps the rest. It doesn't just put it in pockets and wait till it needs more. If that were true, we'd have protein deposits in our bodies aside from the muscle mass. WE DO NOT. It's obvious to me from your picture that you're a meat head in the sense that you have your goals set on being, what some might call, unhealthily muscled. I would be hesitant to take nutrition advice from someone so enamored with bodybuilding, because that type of nutrition is not going to provide sustainable weightloss, which is the OP's concern... Losing fat, not gaining muscle.

Believe it or not, most o the time the kidneys become more efficient, kidney function IMPROVES, not deteriorate. Yes I will agree with you if amino acids currently aren't needed it would convert to glucose if glucose stores are full they will convert to fat. It's not "wasted". If excess calories where wasted, i could eat 10,000 calories a day and be thin because my body will absorbs what it needs and get rid of everything else. You stated that the protein isn't broken down, protein is always broken down.

As I said how we don't "create protein depots" it gets converted to glucose first, if amino acids aren't needed, then converted to fat if glucose stores are full.

If you'e judging me by my pictures don't do that. Judge me by my credentials. NASM CPT (National Academy Of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer), currently majoring in biochemistry, and judge me from my experience, over 100lbs loss.

I'm not judging anybody as a person, and I could care less what your credentials are. This is an online forum, I could tell you whatever I want about my own credentials. People with schooling can have differences of opinions and neither be actually wrong. Different schools and programs approach things from different points of view. Taking a written exam doesn't substitute for real life experience, practical use, or anything like that.

Your answer here is written rather poorly as well. Kidneys fail/decrease in function ALL THE TIME, and it's very rare that the efficiency improve after damage is done. To me, the OP sounds like they are being subtly treated for pre-diabetes based on their information, and someone in that state is very prone to damage to the kidneys.

It is true that carbs are necessary for metabolization of proteins. As a personal trainer, I'd think you'd know that, as well as the fact that when you are trying to lose fat, one' s focus needs to be diversified, not concentrated on lifting alone. However, personal training does not assure one, in any way, that you are certified to advise on diet.

Currently working on a degree means nothing to me. I took nutrition courses myself, collegiate level, but doesn't mean I know everything about implementing them.

The 100 lbs loss? kudos but that has no relevance in my eyes either. Your responses are particular to your experiences, but that is pretty narrow in view because bodies and people are majorly different.

I will always, always tell a person to defer to the professionals they have working with them face to face. Maybe they tell you things you don't want to hear, but that's not their fault. If what you're doing now isn't working, change can be good. Frankly, if you go into the office thinking you know all the answers, you're not going to benefit. Focusing on all the "weird" or the things that seem "wrong" keeps you from gaining any positive things from the visit.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I will always, always tell a person to defer to the professionals they have working with them face to face. Maybe they tell you things you don't want to hear, but that's not their fault. If what you're doing now isn't working, change can be good. Frankly, if you go into the office thinking you know all the answers, you're not going to benefit. Focusing on all the "weird" or the things that seem "wrong" keeps you from gaining any positive things from the visit.

^^^^^^^^^This. If you are seeking out help, obviously you are at a point where you don't know what to do. Just because they don't tell you what you want to hear, doesn't mean it's wrong. We're just talking about food here. Big deal. Change it and see. No one is asking anyone to take a little yellow pill or anything. Just up the cals 200, and change the percentage of protein/carbs a little and see what happens.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Someone may have already pointed this out, but increased calories and carbs may help increase your energy level. Also, it doesn't HAVE to be simple carbs like white bread, pasta, and sweets. You can add healthier carbs like granola, whole grain breads/pasta/cereal, fruits, etc... Like another poster said, at least try it her way since you haven't been seeing results doing it your way.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I was going to question you and make you realize half of the stuff you said was in correct, but to avoid multiple's post back and forth I will just get to the point.

Most of the thing you said are incorrect. How is protein harmful and wasteful? You talking about kidney issues ad things of that sort? That's mostly due to the fact that protein acts as diuretic, and people who suffer from high protein issues have a history of medical conditions. The liver, you talking about acidosis? That's more of a diabetic issue. You recommended more carbs, what if this poster is insulin resistant? you know. I can easily say "carbs are harmful." Protein doesn't go to waste, it sits there in the tract until it's absorbed. So that 15-30% or whatever you said is also invalid.

Our bodies have a harder time getting energy from protein, sounds like you're talking about gluconeogenesis. The body converts .48g of glucose from 1g of protein. Dietary carbohydrate sources aren't needed. Think about this, if it's "harder" for our body to convert protein in to glucose, and if we can only absorb 15-35% that would imply that we would use more energy processing protein and we would also not absorb 85 - 65% of protein meaning this would cause a greater calorie deficit and more rapid weight loss, is this true? No.

Just so we're clear, i have nothing against you, don't feel i am attacking you. My issue is what you're being taught.

Repeated scientific studies on the intake of protein do in fact confirm that even with a healthy person, excessive protein intake can cause damage to the kidneys. It's not a diuretic issue, it's because the protein doesn't break down and has to be filtered out. The body absorbs what it needs, and then dumps the rest. It doesn't just put it in pockets and wait till it needs more. If that were true, we'd have protein deposits in our bodies aside from the muscle mass. WE DO NOT. It's obvious to me from your picture that you're a meat head in the sense that you have your goals set on being, what some might call, unhealthily muscled. I would be hesitant to take nutrition advice from someone so enamored with bodybuilding, because that type of nutrition is not going to provide sustainable weightloss, which is the OP's concern... Losing fat, not gaining muscle.

Believe it or not, most o the time the kidneys become more efficient, kidney function IMPROVES, not deteriorate. Yes I will agree with you if amino acids currently aren't needed it would convert to glucose if glucose stores are full they will convert to fat. It's not "wasted". If excess calories where wasted, i could eat 10,000 calories a day and be thin because my body will absorbs what it needs and get rid of everything else. You stated that the protein isn't broken down, protein is always broken down.

As I said how we don't "create protein depots" it gets converted to glucose first, if amino acids aren't needed, then converted to fat if glucose stores are full.

If you'e judging me by my pictures don't do that. Judge me by my credentials. NASM CPT (National Academy Of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer), currently majoring in biochemistry, and judge me from my experience, over 100lbs loss.

Your answer here is written rather poorly as well. Kidneys fail/decrease in function ALL THE TIME, and it's very rare that the efficiency improve after damage is done. To me, the OP sounds like they are being subtly treated for pre-diabetes based on their information, and someone in that state is very prone to damage to the kidneys.

It is true that carbs are necessary for metabolization of proteins. As a personal trainer, I'd think you'd know that, as well as the fact that when you are trying to lose fat, one' s focus needs to be diversified, not concentrated on lifting alone. However, personal training does not assure one, in any way, that you are certified to advise on diet.

Currently working on a degree means nothing to me. I took nutrition courses myself, collegiate level, but doesn't mean I know everything about implementing them.

The 100 lbs loss? kudos but that has no relevance in my eyes either. Your responses are particular to your experiences, but that is pretty narrow in view because bodies and people are majorly different.

I know i write poorly i am majoring in science not in English, i don't care. Some of the most brilliant people I have encountered aren't good with English and grammar. To assume intellect is dependent on grammar and spelling isn't the brightest decision.

You're right I am not certified to advise a diet, I am certified in results.

How do you figure carbs are required for protein metabolism???

No professional would recommend increasing carbs to treat a insulin related issue.

I know you both mean well, and genuinely want to help. Also, you both sound very intelligent and knowledgeable, but your debate may just serve to confuse the OP further. I'm not attacking anybody here. I just wanted to suggest that maybe, in this particular case, you could take your debate into private messages? :flowerforyou:
  • FalvoPS
    Options
    If you don't have any health conditions, I don't see why you can't just give it a try for a month or so. If it doesn't work, see someone else. If it does work, great!

Because I'm a meathead who believe protein is the lifeblood of weight training.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options

Because I'm a meathead who believe protein is the lifeblood of weight training.

Well, the dietician's advice is not mandatory to follow. You obviously don't like the advice you were given, so don't follow it. But, you yourself said that you weren't making progress your way. What will you lose by trying the advice for a month. If it works, then brilliant, you can carry on with the new way. If it doesn't work, then brilliant, you were proved right and you can start looking for an alternative method that will help you.

Getting help, advice and support from a forum like this is good, but in the end you have to take responsibility for your own actions. You either choose to do it or you don't.
  • FalvoPS
    Options

I know i write poorly i am majoring in science not in English, i don't care. Some of the most brilliant people I have encountered aren't good with English and grammar. To assume intellect is dependent on grammar and spelling isn't the brightest decision.

You're right I am not certified to advise a diet, I am certified in results.

How do you figure carbs are required for protein metabolism???

No professional would recommend increasing carbs to treat a insulin related issue.

I appreciate the input from the both of you. You've proven my point that there are conflicting opnions as to what works best regarding weight/fat loss. What works best for some folks does nothing for others. I'm fishing for ideas to determine if this professional made assumptions rather than consulting my medical history, which I provided in full. I also brought a copy of my diet, the supplements I take, and my blood work results.

Some folks on here have criticized my following up on the internet after speaking to a professional; however, physicians, attorneys, mechanics, etc. make mistakes based upon their perception of the situation, the information provided to them, and their past experiences. I explained to this physician that I was looking to reduce my body fat and she kept insisting my issues were related to blood glucose, and diabetes.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Maybe the reason that you lack energy for cardio is because your carbs are too low. I've read accounts by runners who try going low-carb, and it just doesn't fuel them properly to run.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
  • dietitiandanielle
    dietitiandanielle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a dietitian and this response is very well put! You mentioned that you realize you need more cardio but you lack the energy and time. Lack of energy could come from the lack of carbohydrate. They are our energy producers! I've given the same recommendations to some of my clients and they feel a noticeable difference in their energy levels and often get harder more effective workouts as a result of increasing their carbs. Also, just a note about a high protein diet and bone health. The processing of excess protein in the diet causes a byproduct that can turn the blood acidic. Since our blood pH has a VERY small margin, calcium is released to neutralize the acid. That calcium can be leached from the bones. Just an FYI. Give the dietitian's recs a try and pay attention to your energy levels, strength and endurance during your workouts and your weight/body composition.

In the same respect, carbohydrates are viewed as the "bad guys" but we need them for energy and normal function. Low carb intake can result in fatigue, impaired cognition, sleeplessness, and all sorts of other bad stuff. Feed your body and your brain with GOOD carbohydrates: whole grains fruits and vegetables. They will help stabilize your blood sugar and keep your body functioning at prime levels.

Last, there are not magic numbers or percentages. Everyone's goals will be different. 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat is a good basic place to start if you're feeling the lower carb thing, but if you're working out a lot (especially if you want to do cardio) you're gonna need your carbs for energy. Good fats will also keep your nervous system functioning well and keep your skin, hair, and nails beautiful. Good fats usually mean any kind of unsaturated fats, like plant oils, nuts and avocados.

I don't know if that will help clear things up but I hope so. Good luck!

THIS!
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I think the reason you have little energy is because you carb levels are low enough to keep you right at the edge of ketosis. You keep wavering back and forth from ketosis. Either stay in ketosis (reduce carbs more) or stay out of it (eat more carbs) either way you will feel more energy.

Also, the dietician-student Quasita: Not only are you ignorant, but you are pridefully ignorant (you're like a second year psychology major trying to help out a depressed person). First you said "too much protein is wasteful and dangerous" and I shook my head so hard I pulled a muscle. Then you said "unhealthily muscled" and almost pee'd a little I lol'd so much. I'm pretty positive now that you are trolling. But I'm sure you can get yourself booked on Dr. Oz or something, your misinformation will fit in well there.