Anti-Depressants = Increased Appetite & Slower Metabolism

Katy009
Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, I posted something about this a few days ago, but wanted to update incase anyone is taking an anti-depressant and is having difficulty losing weight or having unexplained weight gain (or loss on the other end for some people).

I have been here for TWO years trying to lose like 14 lbs that I put on slowly over a period of a year. I chalked the gain up to getting older and a slowing metabolism, but even though I would lose a little (with a TON of effort), I would gain it back right away. Not to mention that I felt tired constantly and couldn't figure out why.

So I have been off Zoloft now for almost two weeks and in those two weeks, I have dropped two lbs. A huge difference for me now since this would have taken me at least a month before and it would be back on in like another week or two...sometimes less. And I don't feel tired at all anymore. I have so much energy now, it's crazy!! Now that I am without, I feel like I have been living in some kind of cloud....and my dosage was the minimum. I can't imagine what a higher dosage would do.

I am going to readjust my goal because even that has been changed to a higher weight when I thought I was never going to lose this. I truly think it was all because of this pill. I eventually lowered my expectations, tried eating less calories, more calories, more exercise and eating those calories, tried not eating exercise calories, etc. etc. etc. and nothing worked! And it's not like I tried this for some weeks.....I'm talking two years of frustration. I'll keep posting if it continues this way....and I do believe it will. I have never had any weight problems until I started taking that med and am so mad at myself that it took me this long to figure it out. Not to mention my doctor who was so kind to just shrug her shoulders and say "hmmmm, who knows".

Replies

• szzanni86
    szzanni86 Posts: 5
    I also was on an antidepressant. I found that it did help in my weight gain. I quit smoking but didn't gain a lot of weight doing it. Then I went on Celexa and found that I was gaining weight faster. I spoke with my MD and she put me on Wellbutrin which has shown no evidence of weight gain in users.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    I believe Cymbalta and Effexor have weight loss as a "side effect." So, if you truly need an anti-depressant, you might want to talk to you doctor about those medicines.
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Ive been taking the same medication (lowest dose) for anxiety. In the last 8 months I have lost almost 50lbs with out a problem. :heart: (Of course this isnt those last 10 problem lbs either) Maybe it effects people differently? I have never felt like I was in a cloud either. Maybe because I am not depressed it effects me differently? Dont know but I have never had a problem.

Glad to see you are feeling better! :flowerforyou:
  • Katy009
    I guess I should mention that it was prescribed for other reasons, but it is listed as an "anti-depressant" as a medication. And I didn't feel as though I was in a cloud either, but I feel it NOW that I am off. Meaning I can feel a huge difference. Since I don't need it for depression, I'm sure I can find another med w/out this side effect. However, when I googled it I was amazed that this was a side-effect and I had had no idea. Guess I should have researched it a few years ago rather than relying on my doctor (even though it's kind of sad she didn't bother to mention it when I went to her and said I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight and was unable to take even 1 kilo off and keep it off for an extended period of time).
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    I guess I should mention that it was prescribed for other reasons, but it is listed as an "anti-depressant" as a medication. And I didn't feel as though I was in a cloud either, but I feel it NOW that I am off. Meaning I can feel a huge difference. Since I don't need it for depression, I'm sure I can find another med w/out this side effect. However, when I googled it I was amazed that this was a side-effect and I had had no idea. Guess I should have researched it a few years ago rather than relying on my doctor (even though it's kind of sad she didn't bother to mention it when I went to her and said I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight and was unable to take even 1 kilo off and keep it off for an extended period of time).

I was off the medication for over 2 months when I was moving and I didnt feel like this... I didnt even know that was a side effect. Huh. Good to get the information out there though! I had a ton of problems on depo like 3 years ago where I felt this way. (Wasnt taking Zoloft at that time).

GL!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    :noway: So, I just wanted to let you know that you may have saved me 2 years of trying to lose the same 10 pounds.

I've been here 2 months...I've lost the same 10 lbs almost every week!!:huh:

I have an appt with my dr in the a.m. to see what he thinks

AND

I've noticed some ill side effects that without this post, I probably wouldn't have contributed to my med.

So, thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou: I must have missed the other post on this, but I am very grateful to you for this one. Will keep you posted on what the doc says.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Yes, there are so many anti-depressants out there that a different one may work better for you. I've often wondered why women who are already struggling with depression have to take meds that make them gain weight :explode: But I guess unless you speak to your doctor s/he may not realize what it's doing to you.
  • Katy009
    :noway: So, I just wanted to let you know that you may have saved me 2 years of trying to lose the same 10 pounds.

I've been here 2 months...I've lost the same 10 lbs almost every week!!:huh:

I have an appt with my dr in the a.m. to see what he thinks

AND

I've noticed some ill side effects that without this post, I probably wouldn't have contributed to my med.

So, thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou: I must have missed the other post on this, but I am very grateful to you for this one. Will keep you posted on what the doc says.

I'm am curious to know what your doctor says.....all my info has come from the internet after finally researching it myself. I'm glad this helped :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    As an aside- anti-psychotics as well as anti-anxiety meds are large culprits for weight gain as well.

Even meds that are not psychological in nature can have weight loss/gain issues.

Good post and a good reminder to research our medicine and be familiar with what to look out for.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Okay, so just thought I would update...

:mad: I need a new doc! :grumble:

His 10 min visit that last 3 1/2 min is much akin to my ex-hubby's 3 1/2 min Sat morn miracle. Not near worth what you have to do to get there & costs lots more than it's worth (hence why the ex is the EX)!

And, why I'm currently searching for a new doc.

In a nutshell (he, hee), he "really" didn't think I needed to get off my med because it "really" doesn't cause more than 5 pound weight gain (or loss). So, since there are no weight neutral AD drugs, no reason to switch to another med & so...taper off with this prescription. see ya in 3 months...

So..you're going to scrip me off my med & not going check on me for 3 months?

whatever dude!

The only reason he scripted me off the med was cuz I really wanted to "experiment" to see if I still needed it (my way of getting what I wanted, I guess). :huh:

And, to top it off, he wouldn't even look at my intake diary that I printed for the last 60 days for him. Told me to go to WW & get 3 aerobics a week...DUDE! I'm eating 1200 cals a day & working out EVERY day & you gonna tell me to do LESS?:devil:

Oh good law, I waited a whole day to write this so I wouldn't get upset & here I sit upset all over again.

Well, anyway, I have an appt with a new doc & his nutritionist!! So, I'll let you know how that goes. I'll find out in the a.m. the exact time & date for the new doc appt. Hopefully will talk over the phone with nutritionist tomorrow too. So, will keep you posted on this!
This discussion has been closed.