Coffee Suggestions

Options
Brizoeller
Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
I have pretty much given up diet soda. I quit smoking. I have a vice though, and it is coffee. Not coffee in general, but what i put in it. I switched from splenda to stevia. But i LOVE my coffeemate creamer. The liquid kind that comes in yummy flavors. But i know it isn't good for me, high on the sugar side, and I believe it has trans fat. Any ideas of something to use instead, that can give me flavor, but not all the bad stuff. What do you all use?! Thanks!!

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Buy decent coffee and a decent coffee maker and grinder and drink it black like nature intended! :P

If it's within your budger, I'd recommend the Bonavita, and the Baratza Encore (around $130 each, and better than anything you'll get under $300). Otherwise get a decent blade grinder for like $10 and a chemex for $30.

Needing to put stuff in coffee usually means that you're brewing it wrong (pun intended :P)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Buy a keurig machine and then buy all the different yummy flavours and then you won't have to add the creamer.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try using skim milk or almond milk and flavored extracts. Just a couple drops because a little goes a long way.
  • chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free hazelnut creamer
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Buy decent coffee and a decent coffee maker and grinder and drink it black like nature intended! :P

If it's within your budger, I'd recommend the Bonavita, and the Baratza Encore (around $130 each, and better than anything you'll get under $300). Otherwise get a decent blade grinder for like $10 and a chemex for $30.

Needing to put stuff in coffee usually means that you're brewing it wrong (pun intended :P)

Love the pun haha. I have a very decent and expensive keurig. But it isn't enough. I really do wish i liked it black, i just can't stomach it!! I could give up coffee altogether, like i did with other things, but my co workers may hate me :)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Can't go with substitutes on coffee. It taste too good to put s*** in it. Just be smart about the sugar, etc. and you will still lose weight if that is the objective.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Buy a Nespresso machine. Probably 8 cal per capsule. And it's not the candy capsules that most systems have. It's proper coffee. Very high quality. And as Wacky correctly noted, drink it like nature intended... ;-)
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    keep your vice.

cut Calories some place else, jog a few flights of stairs!

dont have to give up EVERYTHING you love in life!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If I splurg I use sugar free french vanilla creamer. Oh and my $100 Bunn brews grat coffee.
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much given up diet soda. I quit smoking. I have a vice though, and it is coffee. Not coffee in general, but what i put in it. I switched from splenda to stevia. But i LOVE my coffeemate creamer. The liquid kind that comes in yummy flavors. But i know it isn't good for me, high on the sugar side, and I believe it has trans fat. Any ideas of something to use instead, that can give me flavor, but not all the bad stuff. What do you all use?! Thanks!!

I love My coffee too!!! I like to get Wolfgang Puck's "Jamaica Me Crazy" I dont need to put anything in it and it is delicious !!!

FYI this is for Keurig coffee makers.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Try using skim milk or almond milk and flavored extracts. Just a couple drops because a little goes a long way.

use cinnamon or all spice, and when you use the fancy creamers you shouldn't put any more sweetener in it.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I drink espresso. Good quality beans make a world of difference. You don't need to mask their flavor with anything because they smell and taste wonderful.

Here's the source I use for local, small batch coffee

gocofffego.com
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

This. Good black coffee is the way to go.
  • lannemariehill
    Options
    Congratulations on kicking the other vices! I agree, brewing good coffee and fresh ground is best. However, you can make some "gourmet coffee" by adding some cinnamon or vanilla to the grounds before brewing. I also have added orange peel with the cinnamon and it is great! I also like the milk/cream in my coffee so I add 1% milk. Lastly, I have added 1% chocolate milk, which is a better alternative to the coffee creamers. Hope these tips help!
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss - Vanilla Low Fat -- :o)
  • paugov
    paugov Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Losing 36 pounds is proof enough of your progress. I do not believe that coffeemate has transfat but the chemicals and the corn syrip is bad enough. Try real cream and adjust your calories accordingly. You are doing great.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and it took a little time, but I can finally say that I'm a recovering coffemate creamer addict :laugh:

What I do is put cinnamon or some vanilla beans in with my coffee grounds and then add stevia and a splash of almond milk to mine. I've found that I don't even need almond milk in some flavors of coffee --- swiss almond chocolate freshly ground is FABULOUS!
  • justzoot
    justzoot Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Torani Sugarfree (Splenda) syrup and either skim or almond milk. Same stuff Starbucks uses, about $6 for a big bottle. Cost Plus Markets and Smart & Final markets sell it around here, or look online.
  • SusanFinck
    SusanFinck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!:drinker:
  • ChinaDollTKP
    ChinaDollTKP Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with the exact same problem. Simply can not give up my coffee, and do NOT enjoy it black. I will give up sweetener before creamer.

I have done a lot of research and found that the full fat real version of creamer is actually lower in carbs than most replacements. I have cut out sugar and flavorings, but focus on high quality coffee with moderate amounts of creamer.

I have had some success with using premade protien shakes as creamer in the coffee, but it definitly does have a metallic taste to it. Also Coconut milk isn't awful...and even adds a slight coconut flavor to the coffee.

For the most part though, I have simply cut back to one large (ok very large) iced coffee a day with "splash" of real creamer and equal or splenda.

There are some really good sugar free syrups if you absolutely have to have flavorings....I like Torani SF Caramel. But they definitely take some getting used to if you are used to having the real thing.