Want a six pack stomach

Options
D2244
D2244 Posts: 30 Member
Ok...I lost 30 lbs and now at my goal weight that I haven't been at for 20 years....but still have a decent amount of belly fat. I am 5 7 male and weigh 155lbs. I really don't want to drop any more weight. I always wanted that six pack stomach....but other than doing crunches, what else can I do? I alternate days with cardio and body weight training (pushups/pull ups sit ups etc). I can't afford to go to a gym or buy weights. I am seeing some results in my chest and biseps but stomach not so much.

So what does a guy need to do to get get that "ripped" stomach??

Replies

• medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You need to lower your bodyfat. A calorie deficit, eating clean and working out will do it eventually.
  • D2244
    Options
    Thanks. What is the best way to determine what % of body fat you are at?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    There are lots of very questionable ways to use body measurements to estimate it, somewhat less questionable machines that use electric resistance that your local gym may have, and relatively accurate techniques available to your doctor or dietician.

But, seriously, if you're doing lots of core work there are muscles under there waiting to be revealed. You're just one of the many that will lose that belly fat last. You'll know when your body fat percentage is good when the keg checks out and the 6-pack checks in.

Welcome to the club.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Ok...I lost 30 lbs and now at my goal weight that I haven't been at for 20 years....but still have a decent amount of belly fat. I am 5 7 male and weigh 155lbs. I really don't want to drop any more weight. I always wanted that six pack stomach....but other than doing crunches, what else can I do? I alternate days with cardio and body weight training (pushups/pull ups sit ups etc). I can't afford to go to a gym or buy weights. I am seeing some results in my chest and biseps but stomach not so much.

So what does a guy need to do to get get that "ripped" stomach??

I am always told different things from different people, some say keep losing weight and it will come, others tell me I have to do a lot of ab exercises, I am under the assumption if you lose enough weight you will have "SKINNY PERSON ABBS" WHERE YOU CAN SEE THEM BUT THEY ARE SMALL, BUT IF YOU START ALL THEM AB EXERCISES AND KEEP DIETING THEY WILL BE ALOT BIGGER AND STRONGER ... SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You need to lower your bodyfat. A calorie deficit, eating clean and working out will do it eventually.

Plus weight training the abdominals...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You just have to lose body fat. That is all. When you can see your abs, you are there. Once you get there, start doing crunches and all that to define them.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

I know a lot of people who hate on machines in the gym , but can abdominal extension machines help with this or would you recommend crunches and sit ups?
  • D2244
    Options
    Thanks buddy. Yeah from your photo you certainly got a awesome abs. However, other than situps and crunches, what else can you do to work the abs?
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I know a lot of people who hate on machines in the gym , but can abdominal extension machines help with this or would you recommend crunches and sit ups?

best exercises are : hanging leg raises , weighted crunches , captain chairs, weighted bicycle crunches , and to a certain extent planks (but after you can do them for 3 minutes there's no point) and when I say weighted I mean holding a plate or dumbell and also stay within 8-14 reps any higher doesn't really have any point to it.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I agree with these two.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    thanks for the advice and thanks for the topic post, i have about 5-10lbs to lose still but has been on the back of my mind
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

best exercises are : hanging leg raises , weighted crunches , captain chairs, weighted bicycle crunches , and to a certain extent planks (but after you can do them for 3 minutes there's no point) and when I say weighted I mean holding a plate or dumbell and also stay within 8-14 reps any higher doesn't really have any point to it.

Plus dragon flags (lay on bench, grab top of bench over your shoulder, raise legs to vertical, slowly lower legs down to just off bench and hold, with only your shoulders touching the bench (you need to be grabbing the bench to resist the rotation), raise legs to vertical and repeat). There are two variants, the Bruce Lee variant where your back is arched, and the body lever variant (harder) where your back is straight. These are VERY hard, there is no point in even attempting unless hanging leg raises are easy.. Work up to them with tucked knees.