Gastroparesis?????

Options
corisg
corisg Posts: 12 Member
Two years ago i was diagnosed with Gastroparesis. It has been a struggle since then when it comes to food, weight loss and exercise. I'm curious if anyone on MFP has this condition and how have they managed it?

Replies

• Jendenlar
    Jendenlar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed and was wondering the same thing.....
  • julia4794
    julia4794 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My mother has it. She almost died from malnourishment before anyone was able to diagnose her. Now she has a PICC line in her arm through which she receives bags of nutrients intravenously on a daily basis. Aside from it being inconvenient, she says she feels much better than she has in years. The only other complication is a lot of nausea and vomiting if she eats things her stomach cannot handle, but she is learning what she can and can't eat.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful. I haven't actually done any research on gastric paresis myself, these are just my observations.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2007. I also have Celiacs so I honestly don't know when one disease ends and the other begins. When I was diagnosed I went vegan, a few years later I went gluten free vegan. I started eating chicken again today. For me, smaller meals helps. I try to only eat nutrient dense food all the time. I have read recently that grains/beans/lentils have some chemical compound that prevent you from absorbing the nutrients. So I am staying away from those as well as rice because it hurts like hell when I eat it. When I am having a really bad day I tend to drink a lot of smoothies and protein shakes.

I always feel nauseas and dizzy to some extent. But the healthier I eat and the less I eat per meal the better. I also try to avoid dairy because it is difficult to digest.

I am so sorry you have been diagnosed with gastroparesis. I hope you can figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Good luck.
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    It usually occurs in diabetics. If you are diabetic get good control over HA1C. Most important find a registered dietician that you can work with through a hospital and make sure they ae educated at the masters level. You need some professional assistance to lay the ground work then you can research on your own to tweak it
  • Jendenlar
    Jendenlar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My gastroparesis is idiopathic, which means they don't know what causes it. My mom and grandmother have it, but we all have different sensitivities and reactions to the same foods. It's really annoying cause everyone reacts differently. They put me on reglan, which helps a ton, but I still have flare ups if I get stressed or eat something weird. it's really tough determining what my body can handle and what it can't. Like last week, I tried apples and had a flare up and had to go on a liquid diet for 4 days. I also am having issues with beef :( The malnourishment is killing me, with iron, calcium, and B12 deficiencies. I'm thinking of meeting with a nutritionists but am wondering how helpful that will be since a lot of foods are trial and error.....any thoughts?
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with idiopathic in 2007. No diabetes etc. I was very ill at first and have managed to do OK. I have some pretty bad flares when I ignore what I should not eat. Losing weight is VERY difficult and I would welcome anyone to add me as a friend. I need food ideas!

I've lost 42lbs since mid-May and hope to keep on going. IT's difficult with the bloating and inability to eat fruits and veggies. I try to get a ton of protein in every day and go from there. My diet is boring and I make mistakes sometimes with too much of something, or a food that I have eaten for 6 months successfully decides it hates me.