food addiction?

Options
2»

Replies

• vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There are people who are truly addicted to food like a crack addict or an alcoholic is addicted to their drug. I'm one of those people. If you think you are obsessing about food, PM me and I'll give you information on a 12 step program I follow that has helped me understand my addiction to food.

Most of what you describe does sound like stuff I have gone through. Hiding food is especially a sign that you may be truly addicted. HOWEVER, that is for you to determine on your own. I can only relate my experience. So, if you want the information and read through some questions that will help you determine whether you really are addicted, you can move from there.
  • TahanyE
    TahanyE Posts: 83
    Options
    I know its not my bloodsugar. I am not low or high when I have these mood swings or cravings. I am on an insulin pump now and have been for almost 6 years. My levels have been pretty good in the last few years. I can't take antidepressants as they all make me suicidal (have tried many combinations and types). Addiction runs in my family (alcoholism). Im just frustrated because most people just tell me to stop eating, get rid of the bad food from my home and not eat it. They tell me to just watch what I eat. Think about it before I eat it and then not eat it. Ive TRIED all that. It doesn't work. I eat my sweet stash I keep for lows, when Im not low. I eat the things my husband brings into the home for work (i.e. pizza). He is anti-healthy foods so for him to eat, its always cereal, pizza, burgers. removing it from the home removes his food completely. Then he eats out. And I want what he has. So I get some too. Its not as easy as just not doing it. The IDEA of eating only healthy foods makes me irritated and angry and I usually turn to eating junk. Ive looked into lots of high protein diets where Its meats (which I love) and veggies and fruits and nuts and whole grains. I end up with an anxiety attack that leads me to binge eat junk. I try so hard to stop myself but can't seem to stop.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I know its not my bloodsugar. I am not low or high when I have these mood swings or cravings. I am on an insulin pump now and have been for almost 6 years. My levels have been pretty good in the last few years. I can't take antidepressants as they all make me suicidal (have tried many combinations and types). Addiction runs in my family (alcoholism). Im just frustrated because most people just tell me to stop eating, get rid of the bad food from my home and not eat it. They tell me to just watch what I eat. Think about it before I eat it and then not eat it. Ive TRIED all that. It doesn't work. I eat my sweet stash I keep for lows, when Im not low. I eat the things my husband brings into the home for work (i.e. pizza). He is anti-healthy foods so for him to eat, its always cereal, pizza, burgers. removing it from the home removes his food completely. Then he eats out. And I want what he has. So I get some too. Its not as easy as just not doing it. The IDEA of eating only healthy foods makes me irritated and angry and I usually turn to eating junk. Ive looked into lots of high protein diets where Its meats (which I love) and veggies and fruits and nuts and whole grains. I end up with an anxiety attack that leads me to binge eat junk. I try so hard to stop myself but can't seem to stop.

Work on an attitude change! Positive thinking goes a long way :happy:

You absolutely CAN stop. I recently quit smoking, and my husband still does, so I kind of understand what you're going through. I am constantly taking a minute to think about and fully experience a craving. It's all in the mindset. KEEP TRYING! Lose the excuses and think POSITIVE.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

This post has so much great advice, but I think the first line is an absolute winner - making small changes can add up.
    I still overeat from time to time but I work on the theory that every time I make a healthier choice it is a victory. If I can keep doing that most of the time, I'm eventually going to get to where I want to be.

You might like to look at a book called "Eating Less" by Gillian Riley. Someone on the forums recommended it last year and I've found it really helpful. She suggests not focusing on losing weight but on changing eating habits.