SMOOTHIE HELP!!!!!

Options
I've been on a serious smoothie kick! It's been helping me get this last 10 off. I've been having a strawberry, banana, spinach and unsweetened almond milk smoothie every morning for the past 2 weeks. Texture is a little course, but none the less DEEEELISH!!! This morning I was SUPER excited to add blueberries..... Here's the problem. About 30 minutes later I went to drink it and it was GEL! Solid in my travel cup. After shaking it violently it broke down a little, not much. I added some sparkling water to it and it then turned to a cottage cheese texture.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Or know why this happened? What did the blueberries do?

HELP!!!

Replies

• MissRinnyPoo
    Options
    That's really strange! I'm eager to see the replies.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Blueberries always turn to jelly. Use less... or more liquid. I don't like blended blueberries for that reason.
  • JaeDBMe
    JaeDBMe Posts: 18
    Options
    Blueberries always turn to jelly. Use less... or more liquid. I don't like blended blueberries for that reason.

Really? I had no idea! Bummer!

Thank you!!
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's probably the pectin in the fruit. Same thing that makes jelly gelatinous. How much blueberries did you use?
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    instead of blending them into your smoothie, put the blueberries onto a baking sheet in a flat layer and freeze them! they make great little frozen treats! (and you get your blueberry fix without having to deal with the jelly mess!)
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I don't know that sounds gross. HA!
  • JaeDBMe
    Options
    It's probably the pectin in the fruit. Same thing that makes jelly gelatinous. How much blueberries did you use?

2/3 of a cup
    1 banana
    3 med size strawberries
    2 cups spinach
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • JaeDBMe
    Options
    I don't know that sounds gross. HA!

It was texture wise, flavor was still good!!
  • JaeDBMe
    Options
    instead of blending them into your smoothie, put the blueberries onto a baking sheet in a flat layer and freeze them! they make great little frozen treats! (and you get your blueberry fix without having to deal with the jelly mess!)

Good idea.... I'll try that next! LOVE Blueberries!!!
  • sarahnwebster
    sarahnwebster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me! Gross! It still tastes good tho :)
  • aubree3
    aubree3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used blueberries and ice and experienced the same problem, so I added the juice from a fresh lemon and a little more ice. Fixed the problem!
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Blueberries contain compounds in their skin that will gel over time. That's actually one of the reasons they're so awesome - that gel cleanses your insides.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the blueberries, but I have been really enjoying a raspberry/kale smoothie lately:

1 cup raspberries
    2 cups kale
    juice of 1 lemon
    1/4-1/2 c diet cranberry juice.
    a little truvia to taste
  • naturlwn
    naturlwn Posts: 1
    Options
    I tried the same thing two different ways , once with almond milk which gelled up and then with water which didn't gel. I think it's the almond milk actually.
  • Yukatakaytee
    Yukatakaytee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Normal cow milk also does that. My husband made 2% blueberry milk in the mixer (~10 seconds) and it quickly turned into jelly! I had never seen this before!