Lady problems..

Options
Do you work out when you're on your period? I'm talking about the "bad" days.. for me it's the first 2 days of my cycle.

I just feel so tired and sluggish and I don't want to work out, but sometimes I feel like I'm just being lazy. The first 2 days are also usually the days where I eat like crazy so I feel like I need to work out, but in the past I've jogged and went to a pilates class (a pretty normal workout for me) while I was on my period but I felt really sick afterward so I've been pretty hesitant since then.

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I usually find that day two and three are killer for me. I do a "reduced" workout meaning that I use a lot less weight and go easy on myself. If it's really painful/bad, I skip the workout altogether. Although I have found that since working out regularly, it has helped to ease my cramps and such.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll force myself to get to the gym even when I soooo don't want to and usually it helps me feel much better afterwards! But if I still feel lousy after working out for a little while, I'll just cut it short and call it a day. Exercise can help, but sometimes you just need those days off.
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I always try to do something. The post workout chemical bliss is great for my low energy and help with my cramps. It definitely takes a lot more effort to get off my butt though. I know a lot of people who swear by core-specific yoga poses as well.

And if it comes to it, take a day off, for pete's sake! You shouldn't feel guilty and you know your body best!
  • millerch88
    millerch88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i normally don't let it ruin my exercise schedule or plan regardless of how sluggish i feel. Working out actually makes me feel better....and surprisingly, I've run some of my fastest times and achieved more personal bests while on my period than i have off. it's weird...i may be an exception...
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Today I'm having one of the worst bad days I have ever had. I am feeling extra bloated, grumpy, tired.... you name it, I've got it. I was going to skip my workout tonight, but I am going to try my hardest to push thru and get it done. I think I will feel SO much better after. If I don't workout I will just feel guilty and punish myself and feel even worse. I don't usually feel like this..
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I find I do more then normal. Sure I don't want to at first, but then I actually start feeling better the more I actually do
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    Drink more water on those days! Yes I still work out I don't usually have terrible cramps, but I tend to be more pissed than usual lol. Exercise tends to help cramps and bad moods.
  • anthemforagirl
    Options
    Working out... like walking/hiking... actually help with those bad days.
    Do NOT, however, ride a bicycle - it makes it worse.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I only do walks for the 1st two days
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    yup i sure do.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The first day I normally take off, but after that, I try to do something, even if it is just walking. It normally doesn't make me feel better, but it doesn't make me feel that much worse.
  • THEsnails
    THEsnails Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ever since I became a vegan, my period pain is virtually non-existent. I do get slight PMS (extra emotional), but I never experience bloating, fatigue, cramps, etc. However, I've always heard exercise can help alleviate painful symptoms if you're having any.