First Half Marathon - Need Advice!

Options
I'm running in the VA Wine Country half marathon this Saturday. I've been training for a couple of months but I'm still really nervous, especially since this is my first race ever. A few questions for experienced runners:

1. Do you eat breakfast before the race? I have to be out there super-early (probably leave my house at 5:30am). Should I just eat a gel at the race site instead?

2. Anything I'm going to need during/after the run that I'm not thinking of?

3. Any tips on pacing with so many people around?

Thanks!

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    1. Depends on what time the actual race starts. I try to eat 1-2 hours before a race- usually peanut butter on toast or bagel. If I have to be there early to take a shuttle to the race, parking, driving, etc. I will often take food with me and eat it on the way or at the race site. I've never eaten a gel before a race so I can't comment on that.

2. Make sure you know how many aid stations are available. There may not be enough for you, so you'll want to carry your own water, etc.

3. Big races usually have pacers but sometimes you have to sign up for them. Sometimes the pacers are great and sometimes not so great. And, sometimes you are corralled by estimated finishing time, so this helps with pacing. Otherwise don't get in the front unless you are just that good and don't get behind the walkers, unless you are a walker. Good luck!
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    1. Never eat anything that you haven't tried before. I had a bagel with peanut butter and then ate a GU about 30 minutes before the race. You definitely want fuel in your stomach though!

2. In my water belt I had a credit card, ID, $10 cash, chapstick and GU

3. Don't run straight out the gate. Remember that you are going to feel a huge rush of adrenalin but that doesn't mean you should go super fast :) Just treat it like a usual Saturday long run - but with a bunch of strangers!

Feel free to add me if you want to talk more about it. Otherwise best of luck for your first big race!!! :)
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm running in the VA Wine Country half marathon this Saturday. I've been training for a couple of months but I'm still really nervous, especially since this is my first race ever. A few questions for experienced runners:

1. Do you eat breakfast before the race? I have to be out there super-early (probably leave my house at 5:30am). Should I just eat a gel at the race site instead?

2. Anything I'm going to need during/after the run that I'm not thinking of?

3. Any tips on pacing with so many people around?

Thanks!

1. I usually eat toast, cereal, or bagel-- some type of carb that I know isn't going to upset my stomach. They will have food for after the race, so don't worry about eating during the race. You might be too nervous to eat anyway and you don't want to upset your stomach during the run.

2. Toilet paper. Even if you don't need it, you'll make plenty of friends if you have some.

3. Don't go out too fast. Adrenaline and other racers will make you want to go faster. Since it's your first Half, you don't want to blow a tire too soon. Settle in, get your pace, and just run.
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    1. I eat something light, but a food that gives me energy, like a banana.

2. Nothing really.

3. Run at a good pace in the beginning, then go faster. Try as hard as possible. Good luck.

-Experienced half marathon runner
    -Ran it in 37:55 minutes.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    1. I eat carb heavy the night before, and for breakfast I wake up extra early to eat another carb heavy breakfast three hours before the race start time. I hate those gels, and I hate eating while running, gatorade gives me energy while I'm running and I try to sip on that throughout. Definitely don't skip out on eating, you'd be better off losing an hour of sleep to wake up early if you have to (though you should be going to bed early anyway). I've heard some people wake up to eat, then go back to sleep for an hour, wake up and leave.

2. HYDRATE. Hydrate a lot.

3. I spend the first 1-3 miles doing a slightly slower warm-up pace. Once I feel good and loose I speed up and slow down as necessary. Honestly, if it's your first half marathon you don't have to worry about pace supermuch. My first one the goals were 1) Finish! and 2) Don't walk! As long as in your practice runs you've been staying on pace and finishing under whatever time limit they may have you'll be dandy :) Do what's comfortable to you and you will be fine.

Best of luck!!

EDIT: If any of this conflicts with what you know you are familiar and comfortable with, by all means dismiss it for what works for you - this is just what got me through! Everyone likes different things - my running partner loves those gels and gummies while running and almost never needs a drink.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon earlier this month.

1. My race started at 7, and I woke up at 4:00 and ate a clif bar and a banana. Good idea to get some carbs and water in you a couple of hours before the race.

2. I agree about knowing the water stops. Make sure you'll have enough liquid for the race. After - don't forget a to pack a clean shirt. I wish I had brought one to change into right after the race.

3. Pacing - DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST! If there is a lot of people running, there will probably a lot of people also trying to run at a certain pace. Don't be afraid to ask around while running and try to stick with those folks.

And finally, good luck.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options

2. Nothing really.

3. Run at a good pace in the beginning, then go faster. Try as hard as possible. Good luck.

:huh: you ran a half marathon in 37 minutes and 55 seconds? that is sub 3 min/mile.

OP:
    1) I generally eat something like 4 oz of chicken + a piece of fruit when I wake up and a banana about 30 min before.

2) I bring my own race snacks since I don't want to risk something I don't know and wear a visor to keep sun/sweat/rain out of my face.

3) Like everyone else said, run slower than you think you can for the first 5 miles or so then up your pace if you can.
  • Reina_07
    Reina_07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My basic rule is that I don't try anything new on marathon day. Drink lots of water the few days leading up to the race & get plenty of rest. Responding to your specific questions:

1. Steel cut oatmeal with some fruit (berries, bananas), I'll make a double batch and eat some at home and then take some to eat while I'm waiting for the race to start. I find that eating gels too early in the race makes me really heavy & slow especially towards the end. But definitely something solid is a good idea.

2. During the race: its a good idea to carry your own water & gels if you've been training with them. After the race: grab some chocolate milk, maybe pack some flip flops for after the race

3. Running with other people around can be a little overwhelming especially because you might feel that you're going too slow. Try to ignore the urge to try speed up at the beginning, eventually all the runners will spread out & you'll be running more comfortably. Usually races will have pacers, if not you might want to look out for people that are running at about your same pace or maybe a running group. Ask what their pace is and whether you can hang out with them. Runners are incredibly friendly and good looking and will most likely be glad to help you pace yourself.

Congratulations on running your first race, have tons of fun & hope you have an excellent race.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

2. Nothing really.

Sorry.... can't respond to the OP. This glaring error caught my eye. I'm assuming you meant 1:37:55.
  • emcohen
    emcohen Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody!

I feel like I'm going to be up really early so I should be able to get something to eat a couple hours before the race.

Another, slightly embarrassing, question: Any guys wear band-aids over their nipples? Two of my friends who race insist I must do this.
  • emcohen
    Options
    I understand that error though! My sister asked me how fast I run and I mistakenly told her 10 miles per minute.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Body Glide is your friend. Slather it on sensitive areas - nipples, etc.

I always eat before a half. Go with what you've eaten before your long runs.

Depending on how "things" go in the morning, I carry TP, too. Put it in a Ziploc bag so it's not soaked if you need it.

Don't wear your race shirt for the event. You'll stand out like a newbie and besides, you haven't earned it until you cross the finish line.

Keep your bib and write down a few things on the back once you're done - temp/time/course/couple memories. Keep it.
  • little_princess
    little_princess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's some really good advice! I am running my first half marathon in a few weeks, and this has been helpful!!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Heya :)

I've run a couple of halves, the last one was without any real training. I have a 25km trail in 3 weeks and another half in September.

The GOLDEN RULE IS: DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!!

Don't wear anything new, don't eat something different, don't fuel during the race differently.

Do what you have been doing on your long runs, if you eat before a long run (presuming it is in the morning) then replicate that.

Don't worry too much about the race, you will feel incredible when you succeed and get across the finish line - have FUN with the race :)
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half this past Sunday and it was great, very nervous as well.

I drove the course prior to the race to get a feel for the actual course.
    I carried a water belt with me that had 2 water bottles, and I also carried an energy bar. When I got to the water stations I took 2 waters and always used one to fill my water belt.

As for breakfast, I ate my normal breakfast 1 boiled egg and 1 piece of toast, but my race wasn't until 8:30.

Enjoy it, revel in all the exxcitment :)

Good luck to you.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    HI i ran my first half on sunday. I did eat breakfast before i left i had to be at the start at 07.30 so left home at 06.45. i ate 60 grams of porridge with skimmed milk, and then 30 minutes before the start i ate a banana and a cereal bar. i drank 2 cups of tea and 2 glasses of water, needed the toilet 3 times before the race started but got all the way round without needing to go so this was probably about right. i took an energy gel 30 minutes into the race and another 2 during the race. at the finish I had a protein shake, bottle of water and another cereal bar. I had a cup of water at all but one water stops, they were situated every 2 1/2 miles. I dont usually drink water until i have been running for 60 minutes but it was a really hot day. I felt strong throughout and finished in 2.13.49 i was happy with this given the weather and it being my first. hope this helps I would follow this plan again.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I started running in February, I've never really enjoyed running. I just started going longer and farther, but wasn't really "training" I had no idea what I should or shouldn't do before or during long runs. I hit the 10 mile mark and had only taken water 1 time during. I was whipped, but I decided then and there I could totally do a half. I knew I'd need to figure out how to hydrate and fuel myself a little better. Worked on that a few times. Signed up and ran my 1st half, 12 days after that 10 mile run.

1. I ate a Cliff bar and drank a water which contained a nuun electrolyte tab about an hour before.
    2. Take headphones and music. The half I did had 55 entertainers over the course and I was sure I wouldn't need additional music, I WAS WRONG!
    3. Run how you always run, if you run slower to start then do that, I always ran the entire time at about the same pace, I did that in my half and finished 1 min under my goal time.
    4. DO NOT wear new shoes or clothes.
    5. BIGGEST ONE- HAVE FUN AND BE PROUD!!!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    1. I usually have a minimum hour drive to my races so I take my coffee, water, bananas, and a couple of clif bars to eat on the way.
    2. Don't forget sunscreen. lip balm if you need it. A couple of pieces of gum to keep your mouth moist.
    3. Remember your pace. Don't get too caught up in the excitement.
  • emcohen
    Options
    Thanks again for the tips!

The race is over an hour away and I have to be there at about 6:15am, so I guess I'll be eating something in the car on the way.

Coffee before the race? Isn't that asking for bathroom issues?!?
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1. Yes eat something. I would eat before you leave the house to give it enough time to get through your system. Try to get there an hour before the race starts. I normally don't do coffee before a race but I tend to have bathroom issues

2. Remember to apply body glide. Take a few sips of water/gatorade at the water stops (remember to be considerate of others around you - i.e. don't stop in the middle of the road to drink). Unless it is super hot out, you don't need to chug water.

3. give yourself a pace to keep to for the first few miles and be STRICT about it. It is very easy to get caught up. There should be some signs around about where to line up for your pace. Do that as well.

My best advice not related to your questions:

- enjoy the race - that means leave the headphones at home. You only get one 1st...make sure you are involved
    - pay attention to course marshalls
    - your numbers goes on the front
    - wear clothes you normally wear for the race - do not wear the shirt they give you.