How many calories for each meal?

Options
Jessamine
Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
I know this is going to be different for everyone. I'm just looking for a general, ballpark answer.

On average how many calroies are "normal" for each meal?

Is a 200-calorie breakfast a good thing to strive for, or should it be significantly more/less?

What about lunch? 400 - 500 calories?

I would just like to have something in my head to shoot for, you know? It won't be something that I'll MAKE myself do just because it's a number I have to meet - I just want a ballpark.

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    figure out your total calorie goal for the day and divide by 6

You should eat about 6 meals

Mine would be 300-400cal meals since I am on a 2,250 goal per day
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Most people say that you should eat most of your calories earlier in the day. Most people say have a big breakfast medium lunch and then a small dinner. However, I am usually not that hungry in the morning, so I usually just have around 150-200 calories for Breakfast. I find that if I consume more calories in the morning I still just as hungry at lunch. So I eat around 200 calories for breakfast 150 for my midmorning snack 400 for lunch 150 for afternoon snack and 300 for dinner to reach my total of 1200 . I find that this distribution of calories keeps me feeling full.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to be different for everyone. I'm just looking for a general, ballpark answer.

On average how many calroies are "normal" for each meal?

Is a 200-calorie breakfast a good thing to strive for, or should it be significantly more/less?

What about lunch? 400 - 500 calories?

I would just like to have something in my head to shoot for, you know? It won't be something that I'll MAKE myself do just because it's a number I have to meet - I just want a ballpark.

Everyone is different. You'll find people who have lots of smaller meals, and you'll find others, like me, who have 3 meals plus a few snacks. In my own case, I have anywhere from 250 to 350 for breakfast and lunch, with a snack of say a peach, apple, or Special K bar, and then have a good 500 to 800 or so calories for a fairly good supper. And if I exercise too, I can bring up my numbers enough to have my 'ever lovin' Edy's, slow churned, no sugar added cookie dough ice-cream as a snack around 8:00pm. :love:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    There are always exceptions, but generally speaking, no matter how you divide up your calorie counts, it's suggested that you make breakfast your most calorie-heavy meal of the day; doing so tends to provide you with a good start to your day and you avoid making bad choices through the remainder of the day,
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i use about 200-300 for breakfast and lunch and I save around 500-700 (depending on the breaskfast and lunch i ate) for dinner. I only get 1200 a day.
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I find that there is the biggest amount of time between lunch and dinner so I tend to make lunch my biggest meal of the day.
  • lenalean
    lenalean Posts: 7
    Options
    I struggled with this same question and my diet. The latest thing I have been trying, with very good success, is eating 5 small meals a day. I split the calories up this way. Breakfast 375, Lunch 300, 3pm snack 300, dinner at 6pm 300, and an 8pm evening snack of 275 calories. (total of 1500, I'm fairly sedentary) I also inlcude protein in every meal. My hardest times of the day, to avoid snacking, were late afternoon and at night. This schedule has really decreased my craving for afternoon food. I still struggle with night time snacking, but it's getting easier as time goes on. Before switching to this schedule I was struggling to lose .5 lb per week. The last month I have lost 1-2lbs per week. Good Luck.