Recent Type II Diabetic Changing Her Life

Options
This is my first post. I joined 1 week ago when I found out I am a type II diabetic. It through me into finally making a change that should have been made some time ago. I am looking to lose 60 lbs. I am happy to report that I have lost 4 lbs already. Getting off the couch and watching my diet has made a difference already. Just need to keep motivated, that is my worry! Looking for any tips/friend/etc.

Replies

• Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! Add me if u want. Type II diabetes runs in my family, and I joined here to lose weight and avoid it if at all possible. I'm on here daily, and I offer motivation and support.
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request. You can add me also. Diabetes is one of the reasons I want to change my lifestyle. It runs in my family like wildfire, along with heart disease. Years ago I was considered as being "Borderline" thru diet and exercise I lost 74 lbs. and at that point no longer needed to monitor myself. My blood pressure was also within normal limits. Unfortunately, with returning back to my normal lifestyle I began to indulge in everything I had learned not to do.....I went back to drinking soda (my biggest downfall), went back to fast foods, greasy foods, deep fried foods and was no longer exercising. So over the course of one year I put 64lbs out of the 74 back on. I feel disgusting, I can feel the weight on me, I get short of breath, and somedays I really hate the feeling that i didn't have the willpower to stop myself early enough so I wouldn't gain it all back. So again I try, this time is for keeps......I don't want to feel a big ole' fat role when I bend over to tie my shoes, I want a normal size bath towel to cover me completely after a shower, and although I may not enjoy the feeling of a piece of string being up my butt.....I'd like (just once) to try wearing a thong and be able to see it without disappearing under a roll of fat!! There are a lot of good people here on MFP, we're all in this together....you are not alone!
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as type II, as well. I've been on here about 2 months and have lost 12 lbs., and have 60 more to lose. Like you, I've known for a long time I 'should' eat better, lose the weight, etc., but the diagnosis is my inspiration to actually do it this time, and make it stick. Feel free to add me.