help with protein

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
Hi all. I have my protein levels set to 30%, which for me is a goal of 128g (1700 calorie day, I currently weigh 127). I would be thrilled if I could reach 100g per day. But -- forgive me as I whine -- I work full time and have a family. I do not have much time to prepare extravagant meals (especially lunch in advance). I am usually running out the door and am in need of some quick fixes. I know of some of the high protein snacks, but they just don't seem high enough in protein -- even added together they still don't get me to goal.

How do you meet higher protein goals with a busy life? Any menu suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not against using protein powders (I own both chocolate and vanilla).

Carbs are so easy -- protein seems so much more difficult.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• andyc240
    andyc240 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you could try making your own protein bars if you goggle them u get loads of recipes
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I make about a dozen chicken skinless bonelessbreasts in the crockpot with alot of cajun spices. then each one into a sandwich bag. then into fridge. then grab and go.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy life as well-- I don't have kids but I work full time (it's an hour drive to work) and I also go to college full time. I would make a protein shake on my way out the door for work. I found a small blender, I believe the brand is general electric, where the cup is the actual part that goes on the blender with the blade in it. In the morning I throw a scoop of protein powder, some frozen fruits and a scoop of yogurt, throw it on the blender, take it off, twist on the lid and out the door I go! That's how I get my protein, and it's fast.

I've heard of people putting the protein powder in their yogurt for breakfast, or even put it in their cereal. I've only used the protein powder mainly for protein, not many recipes on hand for menu items. So I'll be interested in that as well :)
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    You've already said it: I sometimes have to resort to protein powder to get the number high enough. I mix it with skim milk, just so it's more like real food.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I buy turkey burgers and cook up a bunch of them at a time. Then they are ready to just pick up and go.

Also, there are small amounts in some veggies which I use to help me get to my goal.

Other ideas: peanut butter, almonds, cook up chicken breasts.

Good luck.
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    egg whites & cottage cheese (you could have it w/fruit like pineapples or something) help me get my goals, both quick to fix :)
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, and I eat around the same amount of protein as you are hoping. I don't make extravagant meals, but I also have a family, and sport, and school, and work.

You can always supplement with a protein powder, I have at least one a day.

Good luck!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I eat 100G of protein a day and it's hard with most things... Ugh. Chicken breasts, chicken breasts chicken breasts and protein shakes. I am not a big red meat eater, but I found the best, thin, tender sirloin tip steaks that I can eat without feeling like I'm eating too much beef, doesn't always sit well.

Feel free to look at my diary.

If you are a vegetarian, I can't even begin to help!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I just noticed that grilled skinless/boneless ckn breast is about 50 g's for 8 oz. Not sure you can eat that much at once, but some at lunch on some lettuce and then more for dinner? Greek yogurt is pretty high (they vary, so get the one with the most protein you can find). Cottage cheese, tuna. I work full time and I'm a single mom....so I know what you mean about the time. I have mine set to 50 protein/25 carbs/25 fat and I never come close to what my protein should be and I'm typically over on fats, but I eat lots of avocado's and other things high in fat (olive oil etc). Protein bars and shakes are also good...they are also a wide range from brand to brand.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Mix your whey with skim milk, if you don't already. It will boost your protein that much more. I really like to mix my vanilla whey with a packet of Starbucks instant coffee and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon before adding the milk and shaking it all up. Blender Bottles are fantastic inventions and make my mornings a lot less of a hassle. Do you like/can you eat eggs? Scrambled egg whites/Egg Beaters will kick your protein up pretty quickly. You can buy plain whites or egg beaters by the pint/quart at the store; I just measure out a cup and scramble those in a skillet with some sort of seasoning. But I have pretty simple tastes, I guess.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    At your weight, 100g should be fine.

Supplementing your food with protein powder is fine. I usually sprinkle some over greek yoghurt - 6oz portion with a 1/4 scoop of protein powder = 23g. Also high in protein - dairy (8oz of non-fat milk = 8g), eggs, especially the whites and seeds.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've found that making sure each item I eat has a little protein in it helps.

Greek Yogurt
    Eggs
    Turkey Bacon
    Whole Grains (most "true" whole grains have at least 8-10g per serving)
    Deli Meats
    Milk

There are a lot of foods that have high protein contents but aren't "completely" protein foods that help with hitting your mark.

Why not cook a bunch of chicken on the weekends when you are free. Like enough for the whole week. You can keep it in the fridge and mix it with veggies and rice or you can throw it on a salad for lunch.

I LOVE my crockpot for helping me when it comes to making a good protein packed dinner. Also, sometimes I'll even throw some chicken in the oven and do a workout video WHILE it is cooking.

I usually try to hit around 120 grams of protein. I usually have to have a protein shake to hit that. Eating 1600+ calories a day helps a lot too.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My go to's are -

breakfast = protein shake + a latte and a hard boiled egg on the side
    morning snack = cottage cheese w/slivered almonds
    lunch = wrap w/meat & veggies, cheese if i have the cals
    afternoon snack = apple w/almond butter
    dinner = one protein (typ chicken) plus veggies and maybe some carbs

My lean body mass is just under 120lbs so I shoot for 120 g of protein a day, and I usually hit it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I really like to mix my vanilla whey with a packet of Starbucks instant coffee and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon before adding the milk and shaking it all up.

That's my favorite too (but never had it with cinnamon - will have to try it now)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, and I eat around the same amount of protein as you are hoping. I don't make extravagant meals, but I also have a family, and sport, and school, and work.

You can always supplement with a protein powder, I have at least one a day.

Good luck!
    Spammy has rocked it. Anyone should be highly motivated by her.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was at 100g when i was on herbalife. My staples were cottage cheese, tuna, any kind of fish really, chicken breasts. and of course extra protein powder. I

I would mix protein powder AND greek yogurt into my shakes to really up the protein.

also, have you heard of pb2? Its a powered peanut butter. the benefits: all the protein, none of the fat. I still need to try it, but I've heard amazing things about it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my first competition, protein was a priority. I work 12 hour shifts, so I would go to the gym after work, come home, eat, make food for tomorrow and go to bed. Nothing fancy here. What I did was make a number of chicken breasts in advance. Season chicken breast with anything, I like just cayanne pepper) Heat a pan with a little olive oil until hot, sear 3- 4 minutes on each side and into a pre-heated oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes (depends on thickness, maybe a little shorter for thin ones). You can snack on cold chicken cut up, or throw it on a salad, or eat with sweet potato or rice with veggies.
    If I was really strapped for time, i would by a half or whole roasted chicken from the grocery store, good for about 4 meals. Or grab a can of tuna and throw it on greens.
    Greek yogurt, eggs and egg whites also have a lot of protein.

I also use at least one protein shake a day. I also made protein pancakes. There are a ton of recipes but an easy one is 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein powder, 1/4 cup of egg white. You can add a little sweetener and/or cinnamon. Fry like a pancake.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I forgot white fish. I never cared for tilapia, but a lot of people suggest it. We always did haddock loins, they don't take long to bake in the oven or fry in a pan. Very low cal, lots of protein and quick.

ETA - ground turkey and chicken were also fast and easy. I love it on rice or sweet pototo. I usually just add some hot sauce while cooking but you can add anything.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I really like to mix my vanilla whey with a packet of Starbucks instant coffee and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon before adding the milk and shaking it all up.

That's my favorite too (but never had it with cinnamon - will have to try it now)

Um, wow. Going to have to try this.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary. I almost always eat over 100g/day. Hope you get some ideas! =) I'd agree with just about everyone else here. Protein powder is your friend! I'm not opposed to bars either as long as they don't have a bunch of junk and sugar in them.