Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think it hurts so good!
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Invest in a foam roller. It will help a LOT with recovery and muscle soreness. It is one of my favorite additions they made with P90X2. I can't wait to spend some time on mine tonight after my TRX course this morning.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I attempted P90X but I found the way the resistance training portions of the workout are structured (only 2 sets of each exercise? WTF) I wasn't seeing the strength gains I wanted to. The program is simply designed to make you LOOK fitter but not necessarily BE fitter it seems like. The strength training portions in particular need a LOT of modifications (adding more sets being the biggest one) if you want to see legitimate strength gains from them. I saw better results from doing other programs that only had you working out 3 days a week for 30-45 minutes a day.

Muscle tone and changing the way you look is nice and all, but if you don't have the legitimate strength, speed, and endurance gains to show for it, then it's all useless.

depends on what you're doing it for .. some people aren't looking to bulk up, they're looking to slim down/tone .. so while it may not be right for you it's certainly not fair to say it's useless.

Personally I've seen some nice reshaping of my body, including muscle toning without much lean loss, I've also noticed big gains in endurance and flexibility doing the Yoga and Plyo routines.
  • Lane1012
    Options
    I did 2 days along with my treadmill and I am so sore I had to take today off.. I've only done the stretching and yoga and abs... Waiting on my weights and pull up bar to do the others... Is there a program you are supposed to follow or just do random videos everyday
    ?????

http://www.p90xworkoutschedule.org/
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    ARX kills my tailbone. do not like that one but hate Yoga X more. But overall, it really does hurt so good! I've seen both fat loss & muscle definition as a result. I'm finishing up my first round and will start a 2nd round of P90X/Insanity in July...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I attempted P90X but I found the way the resistance training portions of the workout are structured (only 2 sets of each exercise? WTF) I wasn't seeing the strength gains I wanted to. The program is simply designed to make you LOOK fitter but not necessarily BE fitter it seems like. The strength training portions in particular need a LOT of modifications (adding more sets being the biggest one) if you want to see legitimate strength gains from them. I saw better results from doing other programs that only had you working out 3 days a week for 30-45 minutes a day.

Muscle tone and changing the way you look is nice and all, but if you don't have the legitimate strength, speed, and endurance gains to show for it, then it's all useless.

depends on what you're doing it for .. some people aren't looking to bulk up, they're looking to slim down/tone .. so while it may not be right for you it's certainly not fair to say it's useless.

Personally I've seen some nice reshaping of my body, including muscle toning without much lean loss, I've also noticed big gains in endurance and flexibility doing the Yoga and Plyo routines.

I wasn't referring to either bulking up or slimming down. I was not referring to visual at all. My point was that the changes I went through after going through a round of P90X were almost entirely visual. I felt no functional fitness gains from it at all. Improvements to strength, speed, power, and endurance were pretty insignificant, and that more or less is because of how the program is structured. And my opinion is that regardless of whether you want to bulk up or slim down, if the changes are purely visual and you're not any stronger, faster, and just all around better (from a functional fitness standpoint) when all is said and done, then the program is more or less just a vanity thing. And I'm not vain.
  • JBurger2066
    Options

I wasn't referring to either bulking up or slimming down. I was not referring to visual at all. My point was that the changes I went through after going through a round of P90X were almost entirely visual. I felt no functional fitness gains from it at all. Improvements to strength, speed, power, and endurance were pretty insignificant, and that more or less is because of how the program is structured. And my opinion is that regardless of whether you want to bulk up or slim down, if the changes are purely visual and you're not any stronger, faster, and just all around better (from a functional fitness standpoint) when all is said and done, then the program is more or less just a vanity thing. And I'm not vain.

It all depends on where your fitness level is going into it. When I first did P90X, my legs were in great shape because I was playing hockey 7 days a week. However, I could barely do a pullup. By the time I finished the program, my legs were still in great shape and I was able to do pullups without any assist and a lot more pushups than I could when I started the program. While it definitely provides a visual "improvement", I noticed actual strength and performance gains during the program.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    ARX kills my tailbone. do not like that one but hate Yoga X more. But overall, it really does hurt so good! I've seen both fat loss & muscle definition as a result. I'm finishing up my first round and will start a 2nd round of P90X/Insanity in July...

This sort of emphasizes what I've been saying. All these programs are purely vanity oriented. I have heard a lot from people who talk about seeing fat loss, seeing muscle definition, seeing all sorts of stuff. I don't want to hear about what you can SEE. I want to hear about the improvements to what you're physically capable of. I want to hear stories about how someone who could not manage a single pullup going into P90X can now bang them out after 90 days. I want to hear about improvements to how much weight you can move, to how fast you can run, to how long you can last. I couldn't care less about what you can SEE because that more or less is all about vanity. This is why I think beachbody is a joke...
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I could barely walk for 2 days after Plyo X - but it does hurt so good!!!
    LOVE Ab Ripper - its my fave!!!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

It all depends on where your fitness level is going into it. When I first did P90X, my legs were in great shape because I was playing hockey 7 days a week. However, I could barely do a pullup. By the time I finished the program, my legs were still in great shape and I was able to do pullups without any assist and a lot more pushups than I could when I started the program. While it definitely provides a visual "improvement", I noticed actual strength and performance gains during the program.

See now this is what I want to hear. Unfortunately very few people I know who have gone through the program can say they've seen such improvements. =( They only talk about how much slimmer they are, how much more defined they are, but they still can barely manage a single pullup.
  • Lane1012
    Options

Fair enough regarding your experience, mine was not the same, and it will be different for everyone in some way or another. That was what I was getting at.

As for it being a vanity thing, again a very broad brush to paint with .. wanting to better yourself physically (whether it be for health reasons or whatever) is what we're all here for in the first place right?
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

This sort of emphasizes what I've been saying. All these programs are purely vanity oriented. I have heard a lot from people who talk about seeing fat loss, seeing muscle definition, seeing all sorts of stuff. I don't want to hear about what you can SEE. I want to hear about the improvements to what you're physically capable of. I want to hear stories about how someone who could not manage a single pullup going into P90X can now bang them out after 90 days. I want to hear about improvements to how much weight you can move, to how fast you can run, to how long you can last. I couldn't care less about what you can SEE because that more or less is all about vanity. This is why I think beachbody is a joke...

Of course its vanity - seeing IS believing!!

But....to answer your question....I am not consistent with P90X but I can say that since starting it I can now finish Ab Ripper X. When I first started I could barely get through the 3rd exercise. I can even do ALL the Mason Twists at the end!! I can now do 3 pull ups and could not even do 1 at the start! I can complete a lot more of Plyo X and I'm not in dire pain the next 2 days after finishing it. There are many "physical" results beyond seeing the results.

I too was a skeptic - but now I'm a believer!
  • JBurger2066
    Options

See now this is what I want to hear. Unfortunately very few people I know who have gone through the program can say they've seen such improvements. =( They only talk about how much slimmer they are, how much more defined they are, but they still can barely manage a single pullup.

And I am by no means here to argue with you (and I think you know that). But I have a lot of friends that have had great performance improvements using beach body programs. P90X, Insanity, and P90X2 are the three that I have witnessed performance improvements on. My girlfriend, brother, sister, and several friends have all done these programs and all had improved performance by the end of the programs. Yes, we all saw our physical image improve as well, but we track our workout productivity throughout the program and increase the reps on each workout each time we do them.
  • Lane1012
    Options

amen. I went from being able to do A pull up to being able to do 15, pushup counts are through the roof, flexibility is at an all time and I'm curling and pressing almost twice as much as when I started. Functional gains in addition to visible gains.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

amen. I went from being able to do A pull up to being able to do 15, pushup counts are through the roof, flexibility is at an all time and I'm curling and pressing almost twice as much as when I started. Functional gains in addition to visible gains.

Well, interestingly enough I saw better, quicker gains doing a program I put together myself that did not involve workout out nearly as often or for as long. And that was what got me over the "pullup" hump that P90X couldn't. I guess everyone is different though.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Options

Yeah, there's a schedule so that you work different groups each day. You don't have the booklet? Maybe it's on the website. It is good because there are different phases, "rest" periods and mini goals. And it keeps you from burning yourself out.

nooooooooooo lol my guy downloaded the program for me

Always a good thing to announce publicly.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Options
    Invest in a foam roller. It will help a LOT with recovery and muscle soreness. It is one of my favorite additions they made with P90X2. I can't wait to spend some time on mine tonight after my TRX course this morning.

Or even better, a rumble roller!
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I got this feeling too. Fat loss, yet, no muscle gain. What other programs would you recommend?

Honestly the MOST progress both functionally AND visually came from putting together a program myself that consisted of the following:

Go to the gym one day a week for heavy lifting focused on the lower body and back. More or less it's just to use the squat rack and lat pulldown machine, and the lat pulldown machine will become obsoleted once you become strong enough to legitimately incorporate full pullup sets into your workouts. The reason being is because bodyweight training is all you'll ever need for resistance for your upper body, but lower body muscles need a bit more of a load to challenge them. 1 day a week of utilizing the squat rack at the gym doing sets of squats, lat pulldowns, and rows was sufficient here.

Follow it up with one day of rest or very moderate intensity cardio (such as going on a nice long brisk walk)

For the rest of the week alternate between doing TOTAL BODY calisthenics workouts (I do mine on a suspension trainer) and HIIT cardio (I did mine using either a jump rope or sprinting drills) EVERY DAY. Your workouts should take no more than 30-45 minutes. When you get strong enough to incorporate sets of pullups into your workouts (which you will in a relatively short amount of time doing what I did) you will be doing them on calisthenics days.

Except for gym days everything I do revolves around timed supersets in 35 second intervals followed by 30 second rests, each set is done 4 times:

I start out with a warmup consisting of two exercises: 3 sets of 20 reps of squat into a row followed by 3 sets of 20 chest presses (all light intensity). I then do 4 sets pullups & chinups.

Set 1: 2 arm bicep curl followed by alternating 1 arm rows, each arm (my suspension trainer features rotation so I can do this)

Set 2: Chest press followed by alternating single arm chest flye

Set 3: Shoulder press/superman followed by alternating triceps press (skullcrushers)

Set 4: Lunge followed by lunge-jump (plyo lunge) - This one I do 4 sets one leg then 4 sets the other leg.

Set 5: Hanging knee raises each side

HIIT cardio consists of 2 minutes 30 seconds of brisk walk followed by (depending on whether I'm doing it indoors or outdoors) jumping rope or sprints for 30 seconds--repeat 10x.

Hey! We workout VERY alike! That said, I like your style, and I am SO excited to try this workout today! Thanks for sharing it with me. =) I do most of that, but haven't focused on the lower body/back in the same way that you do, so I am psyched to try it out. I also started running a few weeks ago and am up to 2 miles a day, so we will see how that effects the legs with all this new lower body. =P
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options

This is garbage. "Purely vanity oriented"? I'm sorry you or people you know didn't get anything out of it, but that doesn't mean the program is "a joke".

I can appreciate that you made your own program that works for you, but many people cannot. That does not mean that their exercise choice of P90X is all about vanity and yours is about real improvements (what a comparison!). P90X and programs like it provide a structured way to exercise at home that people can apply at the level of intensity they choose. The success stories about P90X are out there, a simple search will find you thousands of them.
  • JBurger2066
    Options

Or even better, a rumble roller!

I'm still afraid to try that one out! The foam roller hurts so good!