Complete Newbie (to MFP & everything else!)

Options
Hi! My name is Reanna and I am from the Pittsburgh area. I need to get back into shape. Because of birth control and antidepressants I gained a considerable amount of weight and I am not in very good shape at all. I am going to attempt to start to count calories and really I don't know where to start with anything. I need to lose approx. 45 lbs. I can't seem to get myself motivated at all. Any recommendations for motivation would be wonderful. I tracked my calories for the first time today and am very ashamed of what I saw. I don't want to turn into my Grandmother who is severely overweight. Any Advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• amammaa4
    amammaa4 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There are so many ways to get started. If your game jump in with both feet. Lots of fruits and veggies,lean proteins and water. Nuts are really good and filling as well. For working out try things you enjoy that's whatvhelps me to keep going. I foindbinwad getting to bored on treadmill and elliptical so I started zumba and turbo kick. Take it one day at a time and don't get discouraged everyone has off days or cheat days. Good luck andbfeel free to add me for support.
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Welcome feel free to add me
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I tracked my calories for the first time today and am very ashamed of what I saw.

My first bit of advice is to NOT be ashamed of what you saw....use it as a learning experience. Look for ways to cut those calories. You will not get it "right" all day, every day. Allow yourself to make mistakes - but learn from them. Most of all, DON'T GIVE UP!

I'm here every day - feel free to add me, if you want! Good luck!!!
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Slowly start to change your diet. that's the best advice I can give. If you need a treat sometime eat it but in proportion. Because a little chocolate bar is better for you than a big one. Also when you're shopping I advice to look at the calories before you buy things. Feel free to add me :)
  • ElectaSmith
    ElectaSmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI

Congrats for wanted to get back into shape. I know making small changes has worked for me - like drinking water instead of pop, eating more fruit and veg, some type of exercise for 10 min a day. Try sticking to those changes one at a time. Tracking all my food and exercise has also help, keeps me accountable. I have been working on a healthier life since last Oct. and have lost 30 lbs and feel so much better. Right now I'm training to do a 5k,( have not done one for 20 yrs) Mot really sure about that but I'm going to give it a try - LOL - Best of luck to you - Just remember take one day at a time - it's a life change that doesn't happen over night . I will be hoping the best for you. Let me know how it is going.
  • aneexer
    aneexer Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi there :)

I too was shocked and felt ashamed at my calorie intake the first time I started on here but it helped me get wiser about my food and drink intake.

I've been on here a few weeks now and log in daily to keep check on myself. It's a very positive step you're taking and I wish you much success. You can do it :)

Add me as a friend if you like. The more support the better :)
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You are getting some really good advice here. Just consider this a life style change NOT a race. Don't get discouraged if there is a learning curve...always is when you are changing anything. Good luck. Add me if you'd like some daily encouragement.
    My addition to all the above common sense is to add exercise right away. Start small...walking 10 minutes once or twice a day. Challenge yourself to longer and faster when you feel what you are doing is too easy. Buy a DVD ...any DVD will do, and workout with someone telling you what to do. Start with no weights and start slowly. You'll be amazed how fast you get better.
  • eelrd72
    eelrd72 Posts: 3
    Options
    Im with you in spirit. Hope to lose with you.:bigsmile: