new to MFP can someone please help me out

I really like using this to track my calories but I don't understand why it adds back the calories you burn to your goal, especially when I put in my profile that my goal was weight lose. I understand the net calories is the difference between what you eat and what you burn, in order to loose one pound a week do should I be burning 3200 more calories than I am eating? Thanks!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Every calorie calculator asks how active you are and tells you to eat more if you workout more.

The difference with MFP is that it doesn't take a guess at how much exercise you might do and add a few hundred extra cals every day (like many other calculators), it asks you to log your exercise and eat extra to cover that only when you actually do exercise.

So, if you are using MFP to calculate your calorie allowance you should be adding, and eating, the extra calories for exercise.
    If you have set realistic goals and are logging accurately, you will almost certainly lose weight - the success stories section is full of people who have done just this.

If you don't eat those extra calories you are not giving your body the recommended amount of calories to stay healthy and full of energy.

For more info: www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,412 Member
    Even though your goal is weight loss, you still want to try and eat back some--if not all--of the calories you burned. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to keep itself going. If you find yourself below that all the time, you could put your health at risk. You can get a good idea of your BMR by clicking TOOLS at the top of your page. Good luck!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    MFP has already created a deficit to make you lose the weight you indicated. Exercise calories are meant to be eaten.