HOW THE HECK DO THESE PEOPLE GET HIRED?!

Options
13»

Replies

• Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started going to a personal trainer and she recommended I use myfitnesspal to log my calories, she doesn't try and give me nutrional advice.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    He's certified and credentialed in Broscience! :laugh:

LOL, sad and true. :bigsmile:
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't know how anybody can go low carb and have enough energy. If I went below 2000 calories I think I'd starve to death.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This guy who says he's a "trainer" knows nothing about fitness and diet! and is trying to give me advice -____- sad thing is he could get a few lessons from these forums or at least the google machine to learn proper nutrition and fitness!

He's seriously telling me that i'm not losing weight cause i'm eating too much....excuse me? I have not been eating enough!! I am burning at least 400 calories everyday (I know I've been burning more, but I lost my heart rate monitor, so I now follow the machine) and only eating 1,200 calories! So my body is trying to store the fat and trade the muscle into fat because it thinks i'm starving!

AND now he just told me I shouldn't eat any bread or fruit..ever?...He says to eat less than 40 carbs a day...has he taken a nutrition class?! No carbs = no energy. You don't get energy from protein or anything like that. You get them from carbs! A low carb diet is what it is.. A DIET. yeah you'll lose weight, but you'll also lose energy..

It seems like anyone can get a license nowadays...bleck! That was my rant for the night...
    This guy on facebook should NOT be a trainer.

This is why he's a trainer and not a nutritionist or a dietician. (I'm a food scientist and I dont claim to be that either, but I know how important the schooling is!... so much food related misinformation and ignorance out there).
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    Thank god you know better :) what an idiot
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Fitness Instructor =/= Nutritionist

Totally agree. I'm a fitness instructor and when someone asks me about nutrition I tell them to sign up here plus do some research and talk to a nutritionist. I am not an nutritionist.
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    Trainers have no business giving nutrition advice. They aren't dieticians, who, unlike trainers, are actually trained formally in nutritional science.

They should stick to exercise advice.

THIS!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I disagree on the calories completely, you need to eat more not less. But I agree completely on the bread (grains.) If he's cross-fit, he's most likely paleo (I am paleo) and that generally means avoid ALL grains, seed oils and processed foods (including sugars.) Natural sugars (fructose), like from fruit are OK, though for weight loss you don't want a ton of them. Meat and veggies and some nuts. With this change ONLY, I broke my plateau and I've lost 35 lbs since Feb. I eat about 1,800-2,000 cal a day and workout enough for a (conservative) 500-900 calorie loss every day (even when I was plateaued, it was the eating that changed it for me.)
    Not saying it's for everyone, but just saying what's working for me.
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    ANYONE who tells you not to eat fruit is someone to not listen to.

I respectfuly disagree!!!
    We actualy don't need fruit ( it is full of sugar). It has vitamins, minerals and fiber which you can find in aboundance in vegetables, which are lower in calories and sugar. Lets be honest, if you don't eat either it's better if you at least eat some fruit beacause it teast better, that's why it's being rcomendet to nation of people who eats rubbish. But actually you are much better off with veg.

What we do need is good source of fat, so anyone recommending low fat diet is not doing you any favour! Our brain is 2/3 fat and feeds on omega fatty acids. Personally, I recomend linseed and cold press linseed oil.

As any good registered dietitian will tell you, fruit shouldn't be consumed in the same quantities as vegetables, but they are okay to have. I believe it's all about balancing food the best way possible.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Almost every "transitional" new trainer I've seen does the same thing when they first start...................they have all their clients do THEIR workout.
    Their workout isn't made for many of the clients workouts. Sure there are some basics like squats and rows, but not everyone is going to be able to do pullups, snatches, etc.
    I've seen many a trainer like this have the SAME program and train every client with the SAME program whether they be young or old.

The trainer at my gym does that, it makes M and I laugh. All of his clients do the same exact workouts, and it's **** I would never pay to have someone tell me to do. I don't know where he's picking up this ****, but he just doesn't seem to get that every client is different, and every workout should feel a little fresh. I honestly don't think he'd know what to do with the likes of me.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    One thing you should know about the fitness advice put forth by MANY cross fitters is that usually it is driven by a Paleo (or Paleo inspired) lifestyle. Paleo excludes gluten, dairy, alcohol, and sugar from each day's intake. (Maybe that's why his advice seemed to be QUITE different)?

The reason many people adhere to the pale lifestyle is because they believe gluten, dairy, and sugar wreak havoc on your body (inside and out). They say people have only recently developed gluten and included these foods into their lifestyle and that it's actually not what the human body is used to or needs.

You can decide on your own what you think, but this instructor was spouting advice directly from the Paleo lifestyle. That's why he says no/few apples (or sugar), oatmeal (and bread/pasta), and wants you to get carbs from vegetables. Many people have GREAT success from this diet. I have a body builder friend Mitch that eats 80% paleo and feels MUCH better. Gina, a friend from college lost 11 pounds in one month of doing CrossFit and eating Paleo. This is her blog. http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-food-list/

I live in China and it's verrrrry hard to eat Paleo, but I like the basis on this lifestyle because I LOVE eating whole and unprocessed foods. Plus, dairy makes me break out. Ultimately, they encourage organic, wild (grass-fed) meat, eggs, vegetables, fish, few fruits, few nuts, eggs. You can eat rice, but the biggest part of your diet should be veggies and proteins.

You are correct in saying 1200 is too low for how much you are working out. Not sure what he meant by you are eating too much?! That's a bit out there...

Here's what I recommend reading: http://www.archevore.com/get-started/.

Hope this helps clarify!

I will read that! But yes he said thats how many calories I should eat! I do enjoy the idea of Paleo; however, I don't eat a lot of refined sugars - just a few treats! Especially with my age (I'm in my 20s) with friends and all, I can't realistically think of going Paleo though...However I do try to eat lots of veggies, egg whites, and protein!

I follow Paleo, in my 20s and still go out with friends :) And I am going to have to eat this way almost all of the time because grains and dairy do NOT agree with me at all. It's really not that hard to be social and Paleo. There's nothing about Paleo that says fruit should not be eaten.

I do think he was wrong on the calories, but it just depends on your activity level.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I disagree on the calories completely, you need to eat more not less. But I agree completely on the bread (grains.) If he's cross-fit, he's most likely paleo (I am paleo) and that generally means avoid ALL grains, seed oils and processed foods (including sugars.) Natural sugars (fructose), like from fruit are OK, though for weight loss you don't want a ton of them. Meat and veggies and some nuts. With this change ONLY, I broke my plateau and I've lost 35 lbs since Feb. I eat about 1,800-2,000 cal a day and workout enough for a (conservative) 500-900 calorie loss every day (even when I was plateaued, it was the eating that changed it for me.)

Thank you! I agree not a ton of fruits and more veggies than fruit! Spinach is my favorite :) I add it to everything! The most fruit that I eat are blueberries and small granny smith apples in my oatmeal (my guilty pleasure). I try to eat at least 70% of my carbs by 3 pm each day! And do a small carb / protein snack after a work (such as a tuna fish sandwich on carb conscious bread)
  • christina_michelle
    Options

ALSO! Congratulations :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The only thing my trainer ever said to me about fruit was that I was better off not being able to eat bananas ( i can't have them) since they are so high in sugar. But she just said it in passing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Almost every "transitional" new trainer I've seen does the same thing when they first start...................they have all their clients do THEIR workout.
    Their workout isn't made for many of the clients workouts. Sure there are some basics like squats and rows, but not everyone is going to be able to do pullups, snatches, etc.
    I've seen many a trainer like this have the SAME program and train every client with the SAME program whether they be young or old.

The trainer at my gym does that, it makes M and I laugh. All of his clients do the same exact workouts, and it's **** I would never pay to have someone tell me to do. I don't know where he's picking up this ****, but he just doesn't seem to get that every client is different, and every workout should feel a little fresh. I honestly don't think he'd know what to do with the likes of me.
    We had one too before he quit. He was a meat head and EVERY client I saw him have did dead lifts. Even the 70+ year olds. Now unless the 70 year is competing in dead lifting, why in the world would he have her trying to dead lift 135lbs? Yes strength is important, but not to the point where possible injury supercedes it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    He's certified and credentialed in Broscience! :laugh:

Yeah Buddy!