Coconut Oil Question

Options

Replies

• acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    I have access through my library and will look up some things.

Here is one. I will post abstracts only.

Hypolipidemic effect of blends of coconut oil with soybean oil or sunflower oil in experimental rats.
    Authors:
    Chandrashekar, Preeti1
    Lokesh, B.R.1
    Gopala Krishna, A.G. ajibha@gmail.com
    Source:
    Food Chemistry; Dec2010, Vol. 123 Issue 3, p728-733, 6p
    Document Type:
    Article
    Subject Terms:
    *COCONUT oil
    *SUNFLOWER seed oil
    *SOY oil
    *HYPOLIPEMIA
    *SATURATED fatty acids
    *UNSATURATED fatty acids
    *RATS as laboratory animals
    Abstract:
    Abstract: Blended oils, consisting of coconut oil with sunflower oil or soybean oil, were prepared (22–24% linoleic acid) to provide higher amounts of PUFA to coconut oil consumers. Animal experiments were carried out to find the effects of coconut oil blends, using weanling rats, by feeding native and blends of oils at 10% level in the diet for 60days. Serum cholesterol levels were reduced by 5% and 21%, respectively, in rats given blended oils containing CNO/SFO and CNO/SBO while liver cholesterol did not show a significant change when rats were given blends in comparison with rats given CNO. Serum and liver lipid analyses also showed significant change in TG concentration in rats fed blended oils compared with rats given CNO. These studies indicated that the atherogenic potentials of a saturated fatty acid-rich CNO can be significantly decreased by blending with an oil rich in unsaturated lipids in appropriate amounts. [Copyright &y& Elsevier]
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    Coconut oil is associated with a beneficial lipid profile in pre-menopausal women in the Philippines.
    Authors:
    Feranil, Alan B.1 alanferanil_2000@yahoo.com
    Duazo, Paulita L.1
    Kuzawa, Christopher W.2
    Adair, Linda S.3,4
    Source:
    Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition; 2011, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p190-195, 6p
    Document Type:
    Article
    Subject Terms:
    *COCONUT oil
    *MENOPAUSE
    *LIPIDS in nutrition
    *CARDIOVASCULAR system -- Diseases
    *BODY mass index
    *FOOD consumption
    *DIETARY supplements
    RISK factors
    Geographic Terms:
    PHILIPPINES
    Author-Supplied Keywords:
    cardiovascular disease
    cholesterol
    nutrition
    nutrition transition
    saturated fat
    Abstract:
    Coconut oil is a common edible oil in many countries, and there is mixed evidence for its effects on lipid profiles and cardiovascular disease risk. Here we examine the association between coconut oil consumption and lipid profiles in a cohort of 1,839 Filipino women (age 35-69 years) participating in the Cebu Longitudinal Health and Nutrition Survey, a community based study in Metropolitan Cebu. Coconut oil intake was estimated using the mean of two 24-hour dietary recalls (9.5±8.9 grams). Lipid profiles were measured in morning plasma samples collected after an overnight fast. Linear regression models were used to estimate the association between coconut oil intake and each plasma lipid outcome after adjusting for total energy intake, age, body mass index (BMI), number of pregnancies, education, menopausal status, household assets and urban residency. Dietary coconut oil intake was positively associated with high density lipoprotein cholesterol especially among pre-menopausal women, suggesting that coconut oil intake is associated with beneficial lipid profiles. Coconut oil consumption was not significantly associated with low density lipoprotein cholesterol or triglyceride values. The relationship of coconut oil to cholesterol profiles needs further study in populations in which coconut oil consumption is common. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    This study shows virgin is better:

Because coconut oil extracted by wet process (virgin coconut oil, VCO) is gaining popularity among consumers, this study was conducted to evaluate VCO compared with coconut oil extracted by dry process (copra oil, CO) for their influence on lipid parameters, lipid peroxidation, and antioxidant status in rats coadministered with cholesterol. VCO, CO, and cholesterol were fed in a semi-synthetic diet to 24 male Sprague-Dawley rats for 45 days. After the experimental period, lipid and lipid peroxide levels and antioxidant enzyme activities were observed. Chemical composition and antioxidant properties of the polyphenolic fraction from VCO and CO were also analyzed. The results showed that lipid and lipid peroxide levels were lower in VCO-fed animals than in animals fed either CO or cholesterol alone. Antioxidant enzyme activities in VCO-fed animals were comparable with those in control animals. Although the fatty acid profiles of both oils were similar, a significantly higher level of unsaponifiable components was observed in VCO. Polyphenols from VCO also showed significant radical-scavenging activity compared with those from CO. This study clearly indicates the potential benefits of VCO over CO in maintaining lipid metabolism and antioxidant status. These effects may be attributed in part to the presence of biologically active minor unsaponifiable components. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    THIS IS NOT A SCHOLARLY ARTICLE BUT ONE DR. SWEARS COCONUT OIL HAS REVERSED HER HUSBAND'S DEMENTIA.
    ALSUntangled 15: Coconut Oil.
    Source:
    Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis; Apr2012, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p328-330, 3p
    Document Type:
    Article
    Subject Terms:
    *COCONUT oil
    *ALZHEIMER'S disease
    *PARKINSON'S disease
    *AMYOTROPHIC lateral sclerosis
    THERAPEUTIC use
    TREATMENT
    People:
    NEWPORT, Mary T.
    Abstract:
    The article offers information on a report by Doctor Mary T. Newport indicating that his treatment of her husband's Alzheimer's disease with coconut oil resulted in significant improvements his memory, reading, and running. It states that coconut oil could also help other diseases including Parkinson's disease, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and dementia. It indicates that coconut oil raises ketone bodies and lipid levels that will help slow motor neuron loss.
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    THIS IS THE LAST ONE I'LL POST. OBVIOUSLY THE LITERATURE IS PRO-COCONUT OIL.

FAT CHANCES: 10 SURPRISING AND EASY WAYS TO GET MORE HEALTHY FATS IN YOUR DIET.
    Authors:
    Bowden, Jonny
    Source:
    Better Nutrition; Apr2012, Vol. 74 Issue 4, p44-48, 4p
    Document Type:
    Article
    Subject Terms:
    *EGGS
    *AVOCADO
    *COCONUT
    *FISH oils
    *FLAXSEED
    *FOOD -- Fat content
    *NUTS
    *OMEGA-3 fatty acids
    *OMEGA-6 fatty acids
    *PHENOLS
    *PROTEINS in human nutrition
    *YOGURT
    NAICS/Industry Codes:
    311223 Other Oilseed Processing
    445292 Confectionery and Nut Stores
    311911 Roasted Nuts and Peanut Butter Manufacturing
    Abstract:
    The article presents information on methods, including eating sardines, eating tuna fish that is packed in oil instead of water, and using extra virgin olive oil, that consumers can use to increase the levels of healthy fats in their diets. Information on several supplements which contain healthy oils is presented. A recipe for omega swirl power breakfast is offered.
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options

Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 94: 1451, 2011

I looked up this article and they incorporated 3 different types of oils into Malaysian people's diets. There were no indications of the oils altering selected "inflammatory" blood chemistry panels. However, the coconut oil was the only one to decrease postprandial lipoprotein, whatever that means! :)

Last one!!!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    We use cold pressed, organic "virgin" coconut oil for cooking. I believe it is one of the healthier oils to use, along with extra virgin olive oil, so that's what we use. I haven't noticed any benefits, really, but we rarely use oil in cooking anyway.

I HAVE noticed amazing results with it's other uses though. We use it as buttcream for the babies and I have never seen healthier behinds. I use it as a pre conditioner on my hair and as a moisturizer after the shower and it works wonders. I even mix it with boric acid and it attracts ants no matter what their needs and kills them (well the oil attracts, the acid kills lol). We also use it on minor cuts and burns and it seems to speed up healing. We keep 4 jars in the house at all times because it is so useful (one for the butts, one for the kitchen, one for the first aid kit and one for my beauty stuff).
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting that eating processed foods is the same as whole foods in their natural state?

It depends on the level (and type) of processing. Butchering a cow or chicken is processing. I'd rather not eat feathers, k.
    Ah, that pretty much explains it. You are a meat eating human. Real meat eating species eat the feathers, bones, etc, and they eat it raw, and catch/butcher it themselves, with the tools that nature provided for them. If you have to process it to make it palatable, it's not your natural food source. If you think meat eating is good for you, than i doubt you'd ever understand why a high-carb, low-fat, whole foods, mostly raw, plant based diet is the way a human is supposed to eat. Keep eating your meat, keep eating your processed foods. Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ANY and ALL processed foods are bad for you.

Hmm, any scientific evidence to back that claim up??
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm not sure how coconut oil with no additions is a processed food?

I've bought it today. I've read a lot about it and I think it fits in a healty diet. I already found out you can cook perfectly with it. It seems to have a lot of health benefits, although I really don't believe all of them are true.

I also bought it as a mosturizer (I suffer from mild psoriasis, and my boyfriend from severe eczema). We already use a coconut cream, but I hope pure coconut oil works even better.
    Is it a coconut? It's a portion of a coconut, not the complete coconut. The non-oil parts of the coconut have been removed from the food, to leave behind just the oil.

ALL oils are processed food. ALL oils are incomplete food. ALL oils are MORE CALORIE DENSE than their whole food counterparts. OILS ARE THE MOST CALORIE DENSE FOOD ON THE PLANET, REGARDLESS OF SOURCE! And, 100% of the calories are from fat.

And as a moisturizer/shaving cream, my girlfriend loves it, but i hate it, because it leaves the shower all slippery!

So you have to eat the whole coconut for it to be healthy? Isn't the shell pretty hard to chew?
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting that eating processed foods is the same as whole foods in their natural state?

It depends on the level (and type) of processing. Butchering a cow or chicken is processing. I'd rather not eat feathers, k.
    Ah, that pretty much explains it. You are a meat eating human. Real meat eating species eat the feathers, bones, etc, and they eat it raw, and catch/butcher it themselves, with the tools that nature provided for them. If you have to process it to make it palatable, it's not your natural food source. If you think meat eating is good for you, than i doubt you'd ever understand why a high-carb, low-fat, whole foods, mostly raw, plant based diet is the way a human is supposed to eat. Keep eating your meat, keep eating your processed foods. Good luck.

And yet for centuries we've managed to live off of COOKED MEAT and various other "processed" crap. Amazing.

So you follow a completely raw plant diet?

Edit: I'm pretty sure there are plenty of species that don't eat fur and bones...
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Need more reasons to start consuming coconut oil?

Pure coconut oil is easily absorbed, prevents free radical damage, and can improve the appearance of skin and hair. Coconut oil, which becomes liquid when heated above 75°F, can also be substituted into your favorite baked goods {such as the delicious looking cupcakes I created using coconut oil below}.

I would answer the question above "Yes". I've seen nothing to suggest that it's better than extra virgin olive oil, which has plenty of science showing it as healthy. There simply isn't enough science on non-hydrogenated coconut oil to definitively say it will not cause health problems, or will provide health benefits, when used long term.

I believe the substitution of coconut oil for butter, lard or hydrogenated vegetable oils is a great idea when solid fat is needed. But I rarely need solid oil so my preference is to stick to evoo since I can be sure that is healthy. Plus, I'm not crazy about the taste of coconut.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil appears to be popular around these parts as a source of good fats. Anyone know of good scientific sources that would substantiate this claim? Pretty much every organization out there, from FDA to American Heart Association, recommends limited intake. I've looked a bit on Pubmed, and can't find anything to justify considering coconut oil to be a good fat (granted, it's mostly medium chain, and contains a large % of lauric acid).

I tryied it and I do not like the taste of it. Extra virgin olive oils for this dude guy man.
  • bcattoes
    Options

And yet for centuries we've managed to live off of COOKED MEAT and various other "processed" crap. Amazing.

So you follow a completely raw plant diet?

Edit: I'm pretty sure there are plenty of species that don't eat fur and bones...

My cat never ate feathers or fur, sometimes bones though. And I'm assuming beaks. Once he got hold of a bird, all I could ever find as evidence it once existed were feathers and legs. But he could have a secret trophy room full of beaks somewhere for all I know.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Do you even listen to yourself?

Everything you've ever said is wrong.
  • jld66
    jld66 Posts: 18
    Options
    Copy and paste this - very informative! http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html ...I use coconut oil when ever I can! I also put it in my hair. I do cardio in my home so when get ready to do the elliptical I apply it to my hair....do cardio for an hour....then I wash it out...It has made a huge difference!!! LOVE IT!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Copy and paste this - very informative! http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html ...I use coconut oil when ever I can! I also put it in my hair. I do cardio in my home so when get ready to do the elliptical I apply it to my hair....do cardio for an hour....then I wash it out...It has made a huge difference!!! LOVE IT!

Thanks! That page contained a link that it said was to scientific studies on coconut oil In just glancing at the titles, not many seemed to deal with eating it though. But, I have saved the link to read it when I have more time.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I just made a recipe using coconut oil and I had some on my hands so rubbed it into the back of my hands--omg--they have never felt that smooth before, may do that regularly.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook and I buy a less pure type to use as a moisturizer (I use it on my face most of the time, it's awesome - lots of moisture, no breakouts) as a bonus, I like Bath and Body works coconut lime verbena scent, and the coconut oil as a moisturizer blends nicely with that.

I have read a lot about its healthfulness, and I know many organizations (as listed above) support that. I am a big believer that every body is different. Read the info, try the product -- see how YOU feel.