Food on a budget...

Options
So, whenever I buy food it's a weeks worth of healthier but cheaper things....though I STILL always go over budget and the end of the month is left with me consuming a lot of just whatever I happen to have and going off of my regular daily routine :sad: I would say I could plan ahead a little better but really I do already. I'm just curious if anyone has must haves to keep around that are pretty cheap. Today I have had two eggs for breakfast (ran out of frozen bell pepper, spinach, and mushrooms) Then my snack was two hard boiled eggs and 8oz milk, and a serving of lunch meat. Now it is time for lunch and i'm looking at the bread thinking okay, I can have a peice of dry toast....awww....it irritates me. And I like to get sarah lee 45 and delightful and that's not even what I have right now :sad: Maybe to be fun list some cheap, healthy things and hopefully someone else also can add something to their list.

Replies

• fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    for me one of the hardest things is actually being able to afford healthy food for a family.....gets kinda crazy.....

what i do is plan my meals out 2 weeks in advance and inventory my "store" at home to see what i have so i don't have to rebuy what i don't need...... i shop at walmart so 9 times out of 10 i get the great value brand for pretty much everything and clip coupons as much as possiable.....and i say like $20 for fruits and veggies when i run out

good luck hopefully someone has a better idea that i can use too:laugh:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I like to keep sweet potatoes and red potatoes. I also like to keep canned black beans, brown rice and cans of Rottel around. Mix it all together - yummo. Canned tuna and chicken. Wheat pasta and homemade sauce. Dry beans are cheap and super healthy. I am curious to hear others ideas. Cindy :heart:
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    Go to the health food store and buy dried beans and brown rice in bulk. They're super cheap and super healthy. Then you can add whatever veggies or spices you're in the mood for. Health food stores often have cheap spice mixes in bulk too, so you can buy a little bit to try before you commit to a whole bottle.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Use coupons when possible and at walmart they will ad match. If you ad match and coupon on the same item you could save up to 50% on the item. Also if at all possible try and do a stock up option(what that is if you find a really good deal buy a couple of them and put them aside for another week.) Also frozen vege's are better for you and in most cases will be cheaper in the long run. Also the off brands of canned, frozen or refriderated items will be cheapper, and in alot of case's will probably be lower in cals/fat. Also grocery store's go in cycles. Right now summer fruit, meat, and stuff for salads will be cheapper. In the fall think of beans rice fall fruit, ect Winter it will be soups, cheese items, lunch meats ect.
    This is just a few things that have come to mind.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I eat great for the first part of the week, then it's down to whatever's left and a multivitamin. lol One upside is food goes further since I'm only eating a fraction of what I was previously. I swear sometimes, if I didn't have rice I'd starve.

When it gets down to bare bones for me, it's usually: 12 grain bread, peanut butter, rice with hot sauce, cereal and milk if I'm lucky.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    for me one of the hardest things is actually being able to afford healthy food for a family.....gets kinda crazy.....

what i do is plan my meals out 2 weeks in advance and inventory my "store" at home to see what i have so i don't have to rebuy what i don't need...... i shop at walmart so 9 times out of 10 i get the great value brand for pretty much everything and clip coupons as much as possiable.....and i say like $20 for fruits and veggies when i run out

good luck hopefully someone has a better idea that i can use too:laugh:

I feed a family of 6 (with 2 teenage boys and two almost teen boys) for about 400-500 dollars a month. And that $500 was with a budget bump when my hubby went shopping and spent 60 on two bags of groceries. I understand planning out your meals for the two weeks and shopping to get what you'll need, because that's the way my husband shopped before we got married.

I however, go through the ads for the week (the store I shop at will accept competitior coupons) and make my list according to what's on sale. Then plan my meals around what we have. I generally spend about $200 every two weeks, stocking up on the stuff on sale. What I save each time varies, but it's at least $75, a few times I've saved $150. Can't beat getting $300 worth of stuff for $200.

Some staples I always buy are brown rice and black beans. You can mix anything with them and have a meal. I buy meat only when it's on sale, but I'll buy a bunch of it then. Out in my freezer, I've got probably 4 or 5 packs of chicken, a couple of beef roasts, 3 or 4 packs of different pork cuts, 2 or 3 packs of ground chuck, and some lunch meats. Work slowly building up your freezer and pantry, but once you get there, it's wonderful! Good luck!
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    We eat on about $500 a month as well, and we are a family of six with two teenaged girls, a preschooler and a toddler. I always hit the farmer's market on Saturday. Knowing what is in season helps me know what to expect to buy. On Sunday, I go through the ads, clip coupons and plan. We do a lot of beans and make a lot from scratch. I don't buy juice. Even my two little ones drink decaf green tea flavored with mint or berries. I make green sun tea and transfer it to pitchers with ice and fruit or mint. I shop at Aldi and Meijer, never Wal Mart. I always, always, always spend more at WM, and I don't think their quality matches other stores in my area. I have an Aunt Millie's bread outlet store where I buy organic bread that contains no HFCS for $1.39 per loaf. They are the large Indian Grain or Flax Seed loaves, so one piece is enough for a PB sandwhich for my little ones.

I honestly think the biggest saver is planning out not only meals but also snacks. I keep a divided, plastic party style veggie tray in the fridge stocked with fruits and veggies at all times. That is always at least one snack per day. I'll put "tray" right on the menu, and that's what we eat. I also make homemade hummus and pita. Homemade pita, english muffins, and crackers are easier than most people think to make. I make mini pizzas out of outlet bought english muffins ($.69) and freeze them for those times when for whatever reason, we need something quick. Sometimes the tray gets wiped out sooner than I expected, or we get home too late to make dinner.

It's not just planning, but sticking to the plan for me, I find that when we aren't strict about the menu, it costs us money.
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Well, thanks all! And though i've only got a family of three...I swear my hubby should count as three just him alone :laugh: I sooo wish I could freeze more stuff.....BUT MY FREEZER IS SMALL! I live in an apartment and we can't even have an added freezer on our back patio :mad: My freezer doesn't even have one shelf in it, it's just a little tiny cube :frown: You could only imagine what my fridge is like :laugh: Well, I always keep around rice, peanut butter, and oatmeal for when i've not got much at all. And I eat the same thing for breakfast, snack, lunch, and snack...but dinner is always boneless skinless chicken, random veggie, salad, and either rice OR pasta. And I know that potatoes are cheaper but I don't keep them around becuase they're my downfall!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    We eat on about $500 a month as well, and we are a family of six with two teenaged girls, a preschooler and a toddler. I always hit the farmer's market on Saturday. Knowing what is in season helps me know what to expect to buy. On Sunday, I go through the ads, clip coupons and plan. We do a lot of beans and make a lot from scratch. I don't buy juice. Even my two little ones drink decaf green tea flavored with mint or berries. I make green sun tea and transfer it to pitchers with ice and fruit or mint. I shop at Aldi and Meijer, never Wal Mart. I always, always, always spend more at WM, and I don't think their quality matches other stores in my area. I have an Aunt Millie's bread outlet store where I buy organic bread that contains no HFCS for $1.39 per loaf. They are the large Indian Grain or Flax Seed loaves, so one piece is enough for a PB sandwhich for my little ones.

I honestly think the biggest saver is planning out not only meals but also snacks. I keep a divided, plastic party style veggie tray in the fridge stocked with fruits and veggies at all times. That is always at least one snack per day. I'll put "tray" right on the menu, and that's what we eat. I also make homemade hummus and pita. Homemade pita, english muffins, and crackers are easier than most people think to make. I make mini pizzas out of outlet bought english muffins ($.69) and freeze them for those times when for whatever reason, we need something quick. Sometimes the tray gets wiped out sooner than I expected, or we get home too late to make dinner.

It's not just planning, but sticking to the plan for me, I find that when we aren't strict about the menu, it costs us money.

Do you find that one of your biggest expenses is milk? We go through about a gallon a day! At three bucks a pop, it sure adds up. I've actually started buying my milk at the gas station, because it's about 50 cents cheaper, and they have a milk club punch card that when you buy 12 gallons and the card is full, you get your next gallon free. If only I could get DH to remember that stupid card :grumble:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've found that the cleaner you eat (not trying to push a clean diet, promise!) the cheaper your grocery bill gets. Stick to the perimeter of the store and away from anything processed, because fruits and veggies tend to be cheap. However, this also requires some cooking too.

Another option depending on your area is to look and see if there are any farm co-ops in your area. Usually there is a subscription fee (ours is 75$ for the first year, 10$ for every year after) and sometimes volunteer service attached (we have to donate 2 hours a month to helping the co-op). In exchange we get organic fresh veggies, milk, eggs, etc farmer direct at bargain basement prices. Your kids could volunteer and learn a lot about farming, and where food actually comes from, and you'd be helping to support your local farmers.

You can also check into CSA's (community supported agriculture). Its sort of like the stock market but with food. You purchase a share in a local farm, and based on that you get a percentage of their total crop. You usually pick up a big box of fruits and veggies once a week at the farm. A full share at a CSA provides fruits and veggies to easily feed a family of 4 (your milage may vary depending on weather, crop success, and the terms of the CSA). Again, you help support local farmers, and you get good food farm direct.
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I read this. My "family" is just BF & myself, but I think someone could feed a rather large village w/what I spend. I do find that I save $$ in the long run by shopping at a warehouse club. It is bulky when you are out of soup, tuna, pasta, rice all at the same time, but I figure that is part of my strength training:tongue: I have found that 'Arnold's sandwich thins' are great for sandwiches, or the light Wasa crisps. Alone, they taste a bit like cardboard, but w/a spicy something on it, you get the crunch I always crave. My latest "concoction" is tuna w/tzatziki sauce (made w/plain yogurt, dill, garlic & cukes). I find I run out of calories long before I run out of day. Maybe because I am concentrating so hard on the fact I am on a "diet" I can't keep my mind off of food & think I am doing well, right up until I post it.

For the freezer option, I did buy one. I had it almost full...now the stinking thing quit working:sad: ! Oh well, as soon as it is fixed, I will restart to fill. :happy:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I think the best tip in frugality is to learn to reduce waste in the kitchen as much as possible. Don't buy too many veggies/fruits only for them to go bad, learn how to preserve unused portions, etc. Helps me out a lot.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I've found that the cleaner you eat (not trying to push a clean diet, promise!) the cheaper your grocery bill gets. Stick to the perimeter of the store and away from anything processed, because fruits and veggies tend to be cheap. However, this also requires some cooking too.

Another option depending on your area is to look and see if there are any farm co-ops in your area. Usually there is a subscription fee (ours is 75$ for the first year, 10$ for every year after) and sometimes volunteer service attached (we have to donate 2 hours a month to helping the co-op). In exchange we get organic fresh veggies, milk, eggs, etc farmer direct at bargain basement prices. Your kids could volunteer and learn a lot about farming, and where food actually comes from, and you'd be helping to support your local farmers.

You can also check into CSA's (community supported agriculture). Its sort of like the stock market but with food. You purchase a share in a local farm, and based on that you get a percentage of their total crop. You usually pick up a big box of fruits and veggies once a week at the farm. A full share at a CSA provides fruits and veggies to easily feed a family of 4 (your milage may vary depending on weather, crop success, and the terms of the CSA). Again, you help support local farmers, and you get good food farm direct.

I do all of the above on these things and I agree with you. There is very few processed foods that come into my kitchen and they are for my hubby, who is doing better, but not perfect at eating healthier. I am having to take baby steps with him.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I think the best tip in frugality is to learn to reduce waste in the kitchen as much as possible. Don't buy too many veggies/fruits only for them to go bad, learn how to preserve unused portions, etc. Helps me out a lot.

Totally agree. I spend about $15 a week on fresh fruits and veggies. I always keep a $10 in my wallet so I can pick up something fresh on the weekends.
    Also, if possible try to grow some of the fruits and veggies yourself if you have the room. Even a balcony provides enough space for a few container plants (herbs are great in containers and they'll save you some major moolah since you can also dry them for later use).
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I am only shopping for myself now, but I can always use tips for better food budgeting.

Having a well stocked pantry has really helped me out in a pinch. I try to keep canned beans and canned tomatoes on hand. Jars of spaghetti sauce. A variety of grains like rice, barley, whole wheat noodles, etc. Good quality dried herbs and spices. You don't have to get all these things at once either. Follow ads and stock up when something is on sale. Pick up one pantry staple during each shopping trip (perhaps allocate $5/week to stock-up items), and look for deals in unlikely places.

I like to check discount stores and closeout stores (like Big Lots) for good food deals. I can often stock up on canned items for cheaper than the grocery store. Last time I went I found cans of 98% fat free cream of chicken soup (name brand) for around $.75/can. I know a lot of people don't eat those kind of processed type of foods, but for people on a budget and trying to live out of whatever is in the pantry, it can be really versatile for making quick meals w/ leftovers. A can of soup, some noodles, frozen veggies and leftover chicken make a healthy, hearty casserole. A can of soup, a can of water, and a can's worth of instant brown rice and you have a tasty side dish. A can of soup, a lean cut of beef, and a pack of onion soup mix in the crock pot and you have dinner when you get home from work.

If you don't have room in a pantry (or don't have a pantry), think of other ways you can store extra things like canned goods. Put them in a plastic tub that you can slide under a bed or couch, perhaps. Get creative!

One of my favorite websites for budget help (food budget and otherwise) is the dollar stretcher website (stretcher.com). There's a ton of useful info on there.

Good luck!

Vanessa
  • Tissennae
    Tissennae Posts: 6
    Options
    Check out angelfoodministries.com . They have a great menu at only $30. You order it 1 x per month.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Check out angelfoodministries.com . They have a great menu at only $30. You order it 1 x per month.
    Angel food is a great money saver BUT there are always 4 or 5 things in that $ 30.00 box that we can't eat since we're trying to eat healthily. I'm thinking about buying 3 of the steak combos in August. Cindy :heart:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

These are great ideas!! Thanks for sharing. :smile: I am definitely going to look into this!
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    CSA, co-ops, and farmer's markets are all awesome ideas.

FYI - www.localharvest.com is a great way to find what you've got going on locally.
  • Tissennae
    Tissennae Posts: 6
    Options
    I usually donate from the $30 box whatever we don't eat, whether we don't like it or it doesn't fit into our healthy diets to the local food pantry. I try to order the chicken boxes when they offer those.

50997.png