weight watchers.

Options
Hi. I am new to this forum but Ive been thinking for a while about the calouries in taking in.Ive been doing ww for 4 weeks now and dont eat all my 29 points per day but do still seem to manage 1200 or more without going up to the 29pro points.
The thing im wondering about is, on ww you can eat unlimted fruit and veg, but if you take in what all these fitness programs says its all about cals in v cals out. So does anyone know how this can work. If I eat 21 pro points that might be around 1200 and that would still leave me 8 poinits left which at 40 cals per point is a extra 320, so I would have had 1520 in one day.
For anyone that hasnt done ww before, there poinst are differnent depending on what you are eating, lean meats and fish are very low in points and this is where I keep thinking am i taking in more than I should be.

I really would like to know how or why people say it works, coz if i eat lots of fruit in one day im pretty sure I can eat well over 200 cals just in fruit.

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    what??
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How weight watchers works when its not counting cals, simple enough question lol.
  • jac1967123
    jac1967123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    By your calculations 21 points would only be 840 cals not 1200?? the usual daily allowance now is 26 points 26x40 =1040 cals but you can eat fruit and veg and you have you 49 weeklies you can earn more with activity and 1 ap point is cal at 70 cals so there is a buffer zone. Both diets are pretty much the same eat less move more but ww tries to encourage a healthier lifestyle did any of us get over weight by eating too many veg? I like MFP because its such a good website easy to log everything and lots and lots of info good luck on your journey :smile:
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with WW and only lost a few pounds in months on the program. I read all the fine print and when they changed the points they wanted to encourage people to eat more fresh fruit and veg so they made it all free on the points system and then made all the other stuff slightyly higher points to make up for it. It's not a workable system, it doesn't allow you to keep track of the fat, carbs, and proteins and is specifically designed to keep you losing at a really slow rate so you will pay for the program longer.

I found that when I sat down and charted what I ate and marked it against the points sytem on WW, I was eating hundreds of calories a week over my recommended calorie limit for weight loss just in fruit.

I would say stick with whatever works best for you but if I was you (and this is what I did), I would drop WW and just use MFP to calculate your caloric needs and track it on your diary. It's more accurate and it's free, too!
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    By your calculations 21 points would only be 840 cals not 1200?? the usual daily allowance now is 26 points 26x40 =1040 cals but you can eat fruit and veg and you have you 49 weeklies you can earn more with activity and 1 ap point is cal at 70 cals so there is a buffer zone. Both diets are pretty much the same eat less move more but ww tries to encourage a healthier lifestyle did any of us get over weight by eating too many veg? I like MFP because its such a good website easy to log everything and lots and lots of info good luck on your journey :smile:
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    I know thats what its supposed to work out as but if you eat more proteins the cals are more than the actual points, this is how im getting to thinking am i eating to many cals if I go all the way to 29. Im 5 9 and 175llbs at the mo.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    I had trouble with WW and only lost a few pounds in months on the program. I read all the fine print and when they changed the points they wanted to encourage people to eat more fresh fruit and veg so they made it all free on the points system and then made all the other stuff slightyly higher points to make up for it. It's not a workable system, it doesn't allow you to keep track of the fat, carbs, and proteins and is specifically designed to keep you losing at a really slow rate so you will pay for the program longer.

I found that when I sat down and charted what I ate and marked it against the points sytem on WW, I was eating hundreds of calories a week over my recommended calorie limit for weight loss just in fruit.

I would say stick with whatever works best for you but if I was you (and this is what I did), I would drop WW and just use MFP to calculate your caloric needs and track it on your diary. It's more accurate and it's free, too!
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    This is why I left WW.

I dont think points really teaches healthy eating. - it works well for weight loss, but when people get closer to the goal its harder and I dont think WW takes that into account.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    See, now you can see what i mean. I love fruit and can eat about 8 peices a day easy.Yesterday I had a whole pineapple and it was fab, also had one nectarine and some strawberrys too. I think im going to stop the ww and just calourie count everything. Ive counted before and it worked, so I think that might be best.I do like how i can put the foods in ive eaten and it all comes up with the info etc, great tool for me thats for sure.
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    See, now you can see what i mean. I love fruit and can eat about 8 peices a day easy.Yesterday I had a whole pineapple and it was fab, also had one nectarine and some strawberrys too. I think im going to stop the ww and just calourie count everything. Ive counted before and it worked, so I think that might be best.I do like how i can put the foods in ive eaten and it all comes up with the info etc, great tool for me thats for sure.

yeah - I would offer that the offical WW line is that it should be eaten to satisfaction - I think they dont really mean to eat a whole pineapple for 0 ppts, or 8 pieces for a day - when I went over three pieces I would then look at add some points for it.

For me I found that I was eating silly foods to make uo the points which was counterintuative.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I have two friends that are happy with the WW system.

That said, I looked at it. Your body will reflect the caloric intake of your body. Saying you can eat fruit and not count it makes no sense at all to me. I don't care what counting system you use. Fruit may have natural sugars, but it is still sugar. 300 calories in sugar is 300 calories in sugar. The natural sugar may be better for you somehow, but it is still sugar. Your body will still reflect the 300 calories.

THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET/BEANS/PILL.

And anyone that wants me to consider natural organic sugar, I always say, you can grow natural organic hemlock.....doesn't mean it is better for you than hydroponic hemlock.......
  • monica4354
    monica4354 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have done weight watchers. It didn't work for me because I sucked at logging and my points were really low and I had a hard time staying within them. I think it was making me eat too little. Since I've been on MFP I have had to work to consume enough calories. WW is not a bad program, but it has its shortcomings just like all the others.