Finish your plate or waste food?

Options
Hi,
Like many, my parents and grand parents always told me to finish the food that was in my plate during my childhood.
I don't blame them, my grand parents knew what being hungry meant and they had raised my parents with that knowledge. My parents, in turn, taught me that wasting food is very bad indeed.
So I often get the dilemma: do I throw away what's left of it as I'm full or just finish it up and make myself bloated?
I work in restaurants, therefore my meals get plated up for me by the way...

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    put it in the fridge and finish it later. saves on cooking another meal later on :)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just put it in the fridge. Most things that don't reheat well are not that good for you anyways (I'm looking at you french fry)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    save it for later or bin it. In my mind its still a waste of good food if you eat it when you don't need it.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Save it for later! If you're eating your meals at restaurants then I'm sure you can box up the leftovers.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I save it for later or throw it away too.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thing is, if it's food that you don't want or need, isn't putting it in your body just as much of a waste as putting it in the bin?

Could you ask for a child's portion, with extra beans or similar?
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If I've already logged it I will eat it or save it for later. Eating plenty at mealtimes curbs any need to snack and saves me calories across the day.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I just bin leftovers - there's normally not enough to make any kind of snack later on, so just throw away what you don't need.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    We shouldnt be eating till we are full, we eat till we're satisfied. There's a big difference. If you're full, save it for later, doggy bag it, give it to someone else or throw it away. You make the choice wether you want the extra food in the bin or on your hips.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you work there I am sure you could ask them to give you a smaller portion. We have loads of left overs in the house from the kids and I just have to bin them straight away before I start picking at them. Good luck x
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    If I've already logged it I will eat it or save it for later. Eating plenty at mealtimes curbs any need to snack and saves me calories across the day.

You can always go in and edit your logs. Most days I put the food in my diary that I intend to eat. About 60% of the time I go in and change it, whether it's due to circumstances or a surprise lunch with a friend etc
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    it depends, i'm going to assume that the total content of the meal is with your calorie budget, if it is i would put in fridge and eat it later.

However my hubby and son, as they are not on a calorie defict diet, if they leave anything i tell them to throw it away, because
    1. less temptation for me
    2. i need to trust that their bodies know when their full
    3. eating the extra calories later might make them start gaining weight
    4. i had the your not leaving the table till you finished upbringing and i don;t want them in that cycle

not sure if that helps, but thats what i do
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I grew up HAVING to finish my plate aswell . . .I was in big trouble if I didnt! I have to force myself to stop eating when I'm full now . . . and the leftovers go to to my dogs!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think binning it is the only option.

I'm impressed that a lot of restaurants I go to now are starting to serve 'right sized portions' especially when this comes to stodgy food like potatoes, pasta and rice. Maybe if you work there you can talk to them about portion sizes - I think customers these days are a lot more health and environment aware and would support this - they can always request extra sides!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Toss it!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    At home I would always ensure to make the right amount rather than waste food and any left overs I do have tend to go to my hubby as he never puts on weight due to active work and sports.
    At work ask if they will serve a little less but otherwise throw away once full. I would not have thought that they would be allowed to keep left overs for very long anyway as there are usually pretty strict guidelines re food cooked food storage for restaurants.
    The only time I would force myself to eat more is if I was in danger of falling well under calories despite a heavy day at work. (Sometimes you don't feel hungry even though really you should be eating more!)
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    I can't stand throwing anything away. If I have got my portion wrong, I save it in the fridge, or give meat scraps to the cat, and other scraps to the chickens. This probably wouldn't be possible in a restaurant though...!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I can't stand throwing anything away. If I have got my portion wrong, I save it in the fridge, or give meat scraps to the cat, and other scraps to the chickens. This probably wouldn't be possible in a restaurant though...!

Yeah - Our cats tend to throw up when I give them 'Human food' says something about my cooking probably
  • Merrilies
    Merrilies Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You already know the answer to this really, you know what you should do.

Ask them to plate you up a smaller portion, but if they won't, then throw it away!

By eating it all - even when you are full - you are just putting extra calories in yourself that you don't need and that's not going to help you lose weight.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Haha - This makes me laugh more than you can imagine - I used to pile it high... crave food... cram it... stuff every bit down me, there's starving people in Africa you know!! . Go shopping for a week and eat about 6 meals when I got home, but I weight 20+ stone!!

Yet now half the time I cant even be arsed preparing any food at all let alone worry about what happens to a bit of leftovers.... which tbh usually end up left on a plate on the floor and about an hour later I hear the cat craftily (or at least that's what she thinks) dragging it off lol

I love the phrase "eating is an inconvenience"