hello....again

Options
I think I've introduced myself here before. But it's been awhile. I have been posting on other sites, and I have to confess that I am frustrated with them.
I join a site, usually smaller than this one, and get to know people and think it's all good, and then everyone disappears. People are all gung ho when they start, but lose interest so easily-- and I always feel like I'm left hanging -- abandoned.
I thought a smaller site with fewer members would be better because you would get to know everyone. But now I'm thinking that it doesn't matter. As long as there is support, it doesn't matter who it's from.

I am looking for a place where I feel compelled to be accountable. I want to be tempted by that ice cream or chocolate bar, or order of french fries, and be able to resist, because I want to be successful here -- I want to be able to come on and say ' I lost 2 pounds this week...' or whatever the case may be.

I have used the food and exercise logging here, and think it's the best of any I've seen or used before. But I do need some interaction. I don't need hollow support -- meaning someone just saying 'oh, it's ok', when I mess up. I need realistic people who will tell me --' hey, if you don't get serious, you won't ever get results'. I don't need shoulders to cry on, or anything like that.

I don't know if there's anything like that here - a place to post results -- or if I should just post whenever I feel the need to say something.

I guess I don't really know what I'm looking for -- I just know I'm not getting it where I was before.

I need to lose about 50 pounds, give or take. I am a pretty good exerciser, although some might say I don't push myself enough. But I have been known to do an hour of cardio, and some strength training and stretching, in the same day. Not always, but not uncommon.

My diet is my downfall. I am constantly making excuses for myself, and letting things slide. I tell myself that a candy bar isn't so bad -- that it will take care of my cravings, and I 'll be good the rest of the day. Yeah right --- I think it only makes me want more, and quite frequently, I do have another, if one is available.

I have lost weight before, when threatened by my dr to lower my cholesterol, or be put on medication. That was enough for me to get serious, and to turn away from all the things I shouldn't be eating.

I am a believer in portion control, but that it also makes a lot of sense to choose good foods. And there are some foods I am better off just saying' no ' to. So I guess that while I believe in portion control, it's not the best option for me -- at least not when I'm trying to lose.

Well, that's enough about me, and the mess that I am. If there is any group where anyone thinks I might fit in, or that is what you think I'm looking for, please let me know.

Thanks for listening,
Carol

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol. I would love to 'buddy up' with you. Right now I'm doing great but I know that when the weight starts coming off slower-or not at all-i will be needing a Cheerleader, as well as someone who will be honest with me.
    If there is anyway I can help, just yell.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The support is definitely here that is for sure.... and you can do this especially with this websites help. No candy bars by the way! :happy: Good luck and don't give up ever!

~Leash :heart:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome. You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I think I've introduced myself here before. But it's been awhile. I have been posting on other sites, and I have to confess that I am frustrated with them.
    I join a site, usually smaller than this one, and get to know people and think it's all good, and then everyone disappears. People are all gung ho when they start, but lose interest so easily-- and I always feel like I'm left hanging -- abandoned.
    I thought a smaller site with fewer members would be better because you would get to know everyone. But now I'm thinking that it doesn't matter. As long as there is support, it doesn't matter who it's from.

I am looking for a place where I feel compelled to be accountable. I want to be tempted by that ice cream or chocolate bar, or order of french fries, and be able to resist, because I want to be successful here -- I want to be able to come on and say ' I lost 2 pounds this week...' or whatever the case may be.

I have used the food and exercise logging here, and think it's the best of any I've seen or used before. But I do need some interaction. I don't need hollow support -- meaning someone just saying 'oh, it's ok', when I mess up. I need realistic people who will tell me --' hey, if you don't get serious, you won't ever get results'. I don't need shoulders to cry on, or anything like that.

I don't know if there's anything like that here - a place to post results -- or if I should just post whenever I feel the need to say something.

I guess I don't really know what I'm looking for -- I just know I'm not getting it where I was before.

I need to lose about 50 pounds, give or take. I am a pretty good exerciser, although some might say I don't push myself enough. But I have been known to do an hour of cardio, and some strength training and stretching, in the same day. Not always, but not uncommon.

My diet is my downfall. I am constantly making excuses for myself, and letting things slide. I tell myself that a candy bar isn't so bad -- that it will take care of my cravings, and I 'll be good the rest of the day. Yeah right --- I think it only makes me want more, and quite frequently, I do have another, if one is available.

I have lost weight before, when threatened by my dr to lower my cholesterol, or be put on medication. That was enough for me to get serious, and to turn away from all the things I shouldn't be eating.

I am a believer in portion control, but that it also makes a lot of sense to choose good foods. And there are some foods I am better off just saying' no ' to. So I guess that while I believe in portion control, it's not the best option for me -- at least not when I'm trying to lose.

Well, that's enough about me, and the mess that I am. If there is any group where anyone thinks I might fit in, or that is what you think I'm looking for, please let me know.

Thanks for listening,
    Carol

Hi Carol, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As for exercise, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • soupandsandwich
    soupandsandwich Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get to know this site better, and then USE IT.

I so need to be able to post ' I did great today' or 'I lost 2 pounds this week', instead of making poor choices, and then being sad or upset that I'm not getting the results I want.

I'm going to be honest with myself, and never wonder why it's not working, again. I'm also going to be patient, and know that when I am doing all the right things, I might not always lose the weight every week.

And as long as I'm not making excuses for myself, or justifying my poor decision, I can be ok knowing that I am doing what I can do, and the weight will come off in it's own time.
    Even if the weight never comes off ( which wouldn't happen), it's still better for me to exercise, -- to eat healthier, and to manage portions. It will benefit me, in many other ways, besides the scale. And I truly believe that the scale will show the results eventually.