Very Fat arms

Options

Replies

• FearTheFool
    FearTheFool Posts: 29
    Options
    My arms are huge! And have been for a long time- it's a genetic thing. Each of us has places we loose weight first and places where it goes last. For me I loose of the top first. A few years ago (and 20lbs ago!) I was down to a size 14 regularly in tops, my bottoms I was still a 20! Some 18's but not many. I didn't loose much off my arms either. Patience I think is the key, sadly!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks you for your replies. I was always worried about using free weights, incase I built my arms up, but what you are saying makes perfect sense. I will give it a go. The only weight I have at the moment is a shake weight. Would this be of any use?

Lets put it this way. I am a 200 lb guy at 12% body fat and even I can't gain muscle right now because I am on a calorie deficit. You need more energy than you burn (calorie surplus) in order to gain lean muscle mass. And since you aren't loaded with testosterone like a man, your body will just get tighter and tighter. Below is a girl who can out lift most guys, eats 3000-4000 calories a day, gained 20 lbs of muscle and has a tight body. This is normal when you start to power lift.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My upper arms are one of my stubborn fat zones. At BMI 19.5, I have lost the excess weight, but the arms are still proportionally large. The good news is that they ARE smaller than they used to be! And I am so much happier with my overall size than I used to be. We may not be able to change our body type, but we can make our body types the best they can be. :)
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use to be 220lbs (I am only 5'2) so I know exactly where you're coming from. Just keep working on building muscle while doing cardio. I have stretch marks on my arms but those are what I call my battle scars :wink: and my arms are a little flabby but I am putting more focus on building muscle so we'll see where that takes me!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    When you lose fat, you should lose it in your arms too. When, in your weight loss process, you will lose it compared to the fat you have elsewhere? I really have no idea. But you should lose fat from all parts of your body. Maybe not equally, but yes.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I usually go low weight, high reps. That seem to work if you just want to slim down, while adding weight training, but adding strength :) Body PUMP classes are awesome (at some gyms), I use the home version, Body PUMP. My legs and arms are getting definition I haven't had before. I have always worried about my arms too, this is helping :)
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm the same and have large arms.

However, I noticed something this week. Before beginning my exercise regimen two/three weeks ago (Tae Bo, now DDP Yoga), I was weak. I had never seen my biceps--just fat. In the shower, I flexed my arm, and noticed that my biceps were visible! Barely, but there they were. My arms are still huge, but the punches and yoga moves are making me stronger. I *thought* that the moves were slowly getting easier!

My point is, my arms are still big, but slowly I'm getting to love them more. I think that strength will come THEN the fat will disappear. I think if you can find something you love, you can focus on that until you can get t-shirts from the misses sizes to fit you. I can't wait until I can wear a "normal" sized sleeveless shirt and not worry about the winged effect!

=D
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    My doctor told me that lifting heavier weights at few reps is a great way to tone and burn fat. Women generally don't have enough testosterone to "bulk" up muscle wise so don't worry about that. When you lift weight you tear muscle (gradually) and when your body repairs this tearing you burn lots of calories. My doctor recommend to me that I lift the heaviest weight I can tolerate within reason for 8-10 times for 2-3 reps. This worked well for me I used a 20lb weight, but don't hurt yourself. You can tell when it is working because you get really, really HUNGRY when you lift weights because your body is starving for calories so make sure to eat your whole daily allowance of protein! Good luck!

how exactly do you lift? I only have a set of three small dumbells (different weights) at home and I keep looking for exercises, but honestly, it just confuses me. Any advice is appreciated :)

Feel free to message me (I don't check the boards often).

How do I lift a heavy weight? (at home)

I have 5lb and 8lb dumb bells at home. I too could use some exercises that will help my arms. Anyone know of any to help that I could do at home?
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of useful information from everyone - big thank you. I always thought I knew so much, but really I know so little. It's great to learn more about muscle/fat and how the body works. We do have a kettlebell, and big bottles of water, so I'll work with them.

You Tube videos are useful for finding exercises. I'll have a look on there.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I usually go low weight, high reps. That seem to work if you just want to slim down, while adding weight training, but adding strength :) Body PUMP classes are awesome (at some gyms), I use the home version, Body PUMP. My legs and arms are getting definition I haven't had before. I have always worried about my arms too, this is helping :)

If you flip to high weigh low rep, you will increase the fat burning process. Low weight high rep is for muscle endurance and doesn't burn fat as good.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Its not based on weight loss, its more based on fat loss. Strength training, with heavy weights will help cut fat.

No it won't. It will help build strength and prevent muscle loss while eating at a deficit will cut fat.

Best site i have found:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/fat-loss/fat-loss-fundamentals
  • snowangl317
    snowangl317 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that lifting heavier weights at few reps is a great way to tone and burn fat. Women generally don't have enough testosterone to "bulk" up muscle wise so don't worry about that. When you lift weight you tear muscle (gradually) and when your body repairs this tearing you burn lots of calories. My doctor recommend to me that I lift the heaviest weight I can tolerate within reason for 8-10 times for 2-3 reps. This worked well for me I used a 20lb weight, but don't hurt yourself. You can tell when it is working because you get really, really HUNGRY when you lift weights because your body is starving for calories so make sure to eat your whole daily allowance of protein! Good luck!

Should one lift this higher weight slowly or at a pretty fast pace? I have heard both ways and I am not sure which one to follow. I see people lifting fast, and other lifting very slowly.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Its not based on weight loss, its more based on fat loss. Strength training, with heavy weights will help cut fat.

No it won't. It will help build strength and prevent muscle loss while eating at a deficit will cut fat.

Best site i have found:

I am rather diverse in the fundamentals of fat loss and weight loss. But just because you lose weight, doesn't mean it's all fat. You can lose lean body mass along the way. It is also possible to add 10 lbs of muscle mass and tighten your body. And you add muscle by eating at a surplus of calories along with heavy weight training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • psuLemon
    Options

Should one lift this higher weight slowly or at a pretty fast pace? I have heard both ways and I am not sure which one to follow. I see people lifting fast, and other lifting very slowly.

The benefit of a slower pace lift is you concentrate more on form which will provide better results.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I had massive arms and it took forever, but they're now at a point that I'm very happy with them. They are the first place I gain though and, of course, the last place I lose. My husband can't believe the difference. I used to have to get the doctor to use an add on for doing blood pressure because the regular band didn't fit.

I did a lot of heavy weights and what I call "backscratchers" with 10 lb weights. Push ups and planks seemed to help too.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information!!

I call mine bingo wings!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Best site i have found:

I am rather diverse in the fundamentals of fat loss and weight loss. But just because you lose weight, doesn't mean it's all fat. You can lose lean body mass along the way. It is also possible to add 10 lbs of muscle mass and tighten your body. And you add muscle by eating at a surplus of calories along with heavy weight training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I understand that. However, you cannot CUT FAT in a surplus. When you CUT you are losing fat and muscle, you lift to maintain LBM in a Cut phase, and lift to ADD muscle (and fat as a side affect) in a surplus or BULK phase. The OP mentioned she is also trying to lose weight, that means she is cutting not bulking (as in your "skinny fat") pictures.
  • ediblepotential
    Options
    Stay consistent and you'll lose the unwanted fat.
    Starting out with small sets of push-ups (3 sets of 5) at home, then working up, really helped my arms.
  • MrsKearns
    MrsKearns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think that you WILL lose but it MAY be the last thing to go. I've found that im losing the weight in the reverse of how it was put on...and my belly has always been there (as opposed to thighs obliques and face fat) so I expect it will be the last thing I lose too. Just keep at it. Lifting weights and toning will help in the mean time though!
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love my shake weight even though it makes me laugh. I use it to warm up, then do cardio, then pushups and weights (flys and tricep extensions etc.) and pilates. It is good for helping tone as a small part of a workout but you will have to incorporate heavier weights and other exercises like dips and pushups to get really good results. It does help get your heart rate up to start, especially if you follow the dvd that comes with it. Also, unfortunately your body will take time to adjust to the weight loss, I found my arms were a little flabbier then suddenly rebounded after a while, I guess the skin needed to catch up.