RINSING HAM ???

JDHINAZ
JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
So we just bought some honey ham from Sprouts Deli. It is the saltiest ham I've EVER had. So I'm wondering, if I rinsed it, would it remove some of the salt, or is it cooked in? I'm guessing it's cooked in, but I just hate to waste it. On the other hand, it's very much like licking a salt lick. And yes, I really have licked a salt licked....being the youngest of three on the farm, I was talked into doing many things.... :angry: :laugh:

Replies

• SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Rinsing it will help, but how about using it in a dish such as a salad, an omelet, or scalloped potatoes!

:flowerforyou:
  • I wouldn't throw it away. Maybe give it to a neighbor or someone who may eat it. I just have a thing about throwing away food. Maybe that's why I have to use this site. :)
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    I have heard cooking it in diet 7 up can remove some of the saltiness, not sure if this is true or not.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Take it back to the store for a different product. I work in grocery and its totally OK!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Take it back to the store for a different product. I work in grocery and its totally OK!

I work ing in grocery as well and you can exchange it
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    I would never have thought of taking it back. Thanks for this and all the good ideas!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    My trainer told me that if I ever get any kind of packaged deli meats to rinse them in water to get some of the salt off. It wouldn't hurt to try it. Let us know if takes some of the salt taste away.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Here's a tip...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_neutralize_overly_salty_ham

I would probably cut it up and make pea soup with it - won't need any extra salt.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member

I work ing in grocery as well and you can exchange it

oh yeah, duh!!! lol!!!
This discussion has been closed.