Around the Fondu Pot

Options
Last night I went out with some ladies to have fondu. I realized two days ago this might not be a good idea and I should just stay home. I have no way of portioning the fondu, I'd probably eat my weight in cheese, chocolate and stuff to dip. I went anyways since there's sooo much I am saying "No" to thsese days. Alcoholic beverages, sodas, coffee drinks, most bread.

I am curious when there's something shared like that how do you handle it? Would you have gone, or just stayed home and waited until another event that was better for calorie counting?

BTW, my estimates is I had a fourth of a pot of cheese and chocolate, which according to MFP database (based on the melting pot) wasn't as bad as I thought. I did eat an oreo. :D Everything else was either fruit or vegetables.

Replies

• steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love fondue.. I would've stuck to mostly meat and the fruits thats you can dip. Maybe a few in the dessert...but i'm not a huge fan of that anyway....
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    In my opinion you can't restrict yourself 100% of the time. In fact I usually enjoy foods I love, just in moderation or try to make them slightly healthier. If you restrict yourself from what you love and hanging out with friends just because of your calorie intake this eventually won't last. If you do great 6/7 days of the week and one day you indulge in some fondue it isn't going to kill you. :) Enjoy what you love, but do so in moderation!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I dont ever limit myself from doing the things that I want to do. If its a girls night, or date night, or just a yummy treat that I have really been craving. I would have just adjusted my calories to fit in whatever I was going to eat. I would also make a plan and tell myself that im going to eat a certain amount of food and then im going to stop! Its also always nice to have somebody there to keep you accountable!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Enjoy life just as it happens!
    You may work for it, either by exercising before or after the night out, but don't deny yourself any occasion to socialize!

Well, that's my point of view, and just because I follow this, I am still on the losing journey. Otherwise I had given up after 2 weeks or so.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I love fondue, but if you're going out for fondue (mmm melting pot), you need to do so with a mindset of "I'm taking a day off from calorie counting". There is no justification to have it as part of your normal diet. It has to be one of those rare occasions where you accept that you'd rather eat something delicious than healthy :) And that's ok to do sometimes!

I couldn't even begin to estimate the calories you ate from fondue... So my advice is to let it go
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    What other "events" are better for calorie-counting ? And if I waited for them, I'd NEVER go anywhere ROFL

I plan ahead ...... will eat light the rest of the day & make sure I get my exercise done early ....... eat a small salad or some veggies or a cheesestick before leaving the house ..... then look for healthy options at the party or restaurant ...... although, if it involves my husband's family, good luck with that !

Live your life & use common sense ..... best of luck to you !