healthiest cheese for homemade pizza

Options
I'm going to be making a homemade veggie pizza, what kind of cheese should I use?

also, if you have any suggestions for some yummy toppings, let me know!

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I like fresh mozzarella for cheese.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use shredded Mozzarella (bagged or fresh). We use Feta Cheese and Banana Peppers as toppings. Sometimes Turkey Pepperoni. Leftover Chicken with a bit of Barbecue Sauce and some onions. Mozzarella hunks with Basil and tomatoes.

Hm - you did say Veggie Pizza.... sorry!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are fat free & reduced fat versions (Kraft or Sargento - 2%). The fat-free .... super fake.....doesn't melt, doesn't brown, blech!

Reduced fat or 2% cheese works fine. It takes a little longer to brown, and it's not as stringy when melted. If you use "regular" mozzarella ... just use a little less.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well... even though it has more fat/calories... I feel like cheese that is less processed is 'healthier' usually.

Personally I would go with Goat Cheese... 70 calories per ounce and that stuff tastes INCREDIBLE! My favorite is a Greek Pizza... Smear some hummus on a whole wheat Tortilla, crumble some goat cheese on top, as well as some shredded Greek Seasoned Chicken, a little garlic, some more Greek Seasoning, Capers and a little EVOO... Yum! my favorite lunch.
  • rugbygirlca
    rugbygirlca Posts: 85
    Options
    My trick is to use about half the amount of cheese that I would normally (and I usually use a reduced fat cheese) and then I add a few tablespoons of a cheese with a sharp flavour (asiago, parmesan, gorganzola, etc). This cuts down on the fat (and calories) by a ton and you won't miss the cheese.
  • D2244
    D2244 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Use shredded part-skim mozzerella. You don't need a ton. I fill in the open spaces with parmesan cheese.....much less fat and calories and it sprinkles on nicely! Of course pile on the veggies and you got a great meal...I am getting hungry just thinking about it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like the additives or taste of fat free cheese, and don't like the amount of saturated fat in full fat cheese, so I use part skim mozzarella and/or 2% cheddar (depending on the type of pizza).
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Fresh mozzarella is delicious. You don't need much and it gives a delicious, authentic taste and texture. It's all kinds of yum.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese olive oil and tomato
  • LoriAnn8888
    LoriAnn8888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing! Do you make the chicken yourself then? Goat cheese is really good as I had it at a mexican restaraunt a couple of years ago and they had melted it on top of my taco!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe how awesome!!! I didn't even have to add any sour cream to it any longer! I don't eat like that now but the goat chees, yes!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 part fat free cheese with 1 part whole cheese. (I tend to use kraft) Works well for me.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I use lowfat part-skim mozzerella on ours. I just made some last night out of tortillas (which btw, come in all kinds but I use flour), homemade pizza sauce, cheese, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and my husband put a little extra cheddar cheese and jalapenos on his. I also love spinach, basil, sometimes chicken, artichokes and tomatoes. You can put pretty much any veggie on them. Mine come out under 400 calories for one pizza if I don't use chicken.
    I love making them on tortillas because the crust comes out super thin and crispy and we can each control what toppings we put on our own personal pizzas. I also cook them on a preheated pizza pan that has holes in it to make them extra crispy and I bake them at 415 degrees. I just prepare them on a dinner plate then slide them right onto the hot pizza pan and I take them out by sliding them off with a large spatula, back onto a plate.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I usually use some type of 2% cheese or a part-skim mozzarella. I also love putting dollops of ricotta on pizza and often order it at my favorite pizza places too. It gives a nice creamy texture and somewhat cheesy flavor.

As for other toppings: mushrooms, caramelized onions (just tastes better to me if the onions are cooked before going on the pizza), small pieces of broccoli and/or cauliflower(roast it a bit first for even better flavor), fresh spinach (not cooked or frozen, leaves like you'd use in a salad). Or there's always the classic Margarita pizza: fresh sliced tomatoes, basil leaves, and a bit of Parmesan cheese.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK and altough you do get lower fat versions of cheese- you cannot buy 'fat free' or skimmed cheese. I was jealous that you US folk get fat free cheese but having read how processed/flavourless it is I done feel so bad now!

I tend to use small amounts of cheese that are rich in flavour, such as goats cheese, parmesan, blue cheese, extra mature cheddar.

You can also use strained cottage cheese, mixed with a little mozarella.
  • unassembledandy
    Options
    i use extra strong cheddar and use a tiny ammout, just for the cheesy taste, not the "layer" of cheese
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing! Do you make the chicken yourself then? Goat cheese is really good as I had it at a mexican restaraunt a couple of years ago and they had melted it on top of my taco!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe how awesome!!! I didn't even have to add any sour cream to it any longer! I don't eat like that now but the goat chees, yes!

Yep I generally just boil the chicken in chicken broth... In fact I pretty much boil EVERYTHING in chicken broth. gives it so much more flavor! Drain and shred and mix in sodium free greek seasoning... I forget which company makes it but you can find it at walmart in the spice isle... and a little adobo (not sodium free :( but makes any kind of meat you put it on taste FABULOUS) You can also buy that at Walmart.

Ohh I've never heard of it on Tacos! I'll have to try that!
  • ScottishNicola
    ScottishNicola Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've started using the smaller size on my grater, this makes a little go a whole lot longer.