Protein Shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have a go at making your own, my personal favourite is fruit, almond milk and peanut butter blitzed up, it doesn't have as much protein as a shake made with a supplement, but its cheap tasty and i know exactly what's in it.
  • acragle
    acragle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to get the protein that you need without a shake, especially on a busy schedule. I buy the Muscle Milk brand of whey from Costco and drink 1-1.5 scoop with a tbls of natural peanut butter every morning on my way to work. This gives me 27-40g and the cost is $45 for a 6lb bag. You can also get 2lb tubs at Wal-Mart for @ $17
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a really good protein drink, or shake or something.. I need more protein and I need to eat breakfast. So does anyone know of any really good, Cheap, shakes or something I could have for breakfast? Ensure looks good but I can't spend much.. and they come in pack of 4.. I don't like eating in the morning when I wake up because it makes me feel sick.. I'd like to have a drink I could take to work with me too..
    Bananas make a good breakfast. They make a good shake, when you put them in the blender with a little water. Mangoes and peaches go well in the shake. If you insist on putting some sort of unhealthy protein powder in it, you can, and at least you are getting some fruit in, too.
  • acragle
    acragle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah ... a really great shaker bottle is the Blender Bottle bottle at Target for $7 ... it has a little springy ball inside that helps everything mix up well ..
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I'm looking for a really good protein drink, or shake or something.. I need more protein and I need to eat breakfast. So does anyone know of any really good, Cheap, shakes or something I could have for breakfast? Ensure looks good but I can't spend much.. and they come in pack of 4.. I don't like eating in the morning when I wake up because it makes me feel sick.. I'd like to have a drink I could take to work with me too..
    Bananas make a good breakfast. They make a good shake, when you put them in the blender with a little water. Mangoes and peaches go well in the shake. If you insist on putting some sort of unhealthy protein powder in it, you can, and at least you are getting some fruit in, too.

I eat plenty of fruit.. I'm just on a tight budget.. It isn't really my money that buys my food its my boyfriend.. =/ The protein powder is the easiest way to do it. I just found out that he has some in the cabinet already.. If it starts doing weird things to my body then I'll stop.. I just don't have the money to get good protein packed foods. Unless you know some really cheap ways to do it. =)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I do wish he would have told me 2 weeks ago... apparently we've had that body fortress vanilla whey protein powder in the cabinet for a while now! I had no idea =/ But here is my new breakfast recipe.

1 scoop of my Vanilla protein powder
    1/2 Banana
    3 Frozen strawberries
    1 cup cold water
    5 Ice cubes =)

I do hope it isn't gross...
    Thanks for all the Feedback =) Very helpful!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I eat plenty of fruit.. I'm just on a tight budget.. It isn't really my money that buys my food its my boyfriend.. =/ The protein powder is the easiest way to do it. I just found out that he has some in the cabinet already.. If it starts doing weird things to my body then I'll stop.. I just don't have the money to get good protein packed foods. Unless you know some really cheap ways to do it. =)
    I found a local company called "door to door organics" that delivers once a week a box of organic fruits and veggies and its cheaper than grocery store produce, and its usually a lot higher quality. You could check into if they have a co-op in your area, too. Growing your own lettuce and kale is cheap, too, if you have a yard or a community garden plot, or even a balcony. Kale has tons of protein, and it's free if you grow it yourself, and there are many recipes for mixing it into a fruit smoothie so you don't even taste it.

Good luck!!!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Actually, this is terrible advice. Fruit has a ton of sugar. Yes, it's natural sugar, and there are some vitamins & nutrients too. So it's better for you than, say, a slice of cake. But sugar (all carbohydrate, really) burns fast & then leaves you hungry again. And some people have more carbohydrate-sensitive metabolisms; if you're one of those people, you should limit your sugars unless it's right before a workout.
    Protein, on the other hand, burns slowly and steadily. So for breakfast, for long-lasting energy to get you through your day 'til lunch without getting hungry, you should make sure and have some protein. If you want the shake, great, but put in some Greek yogurt or nuts or protein powder. Or have it with a side of hard-boiled egg or some kind of meat or a nice big chunk of cheese.

BTW, there's nothing unhealthy about protein powder. I've lived on it for the past year and a half, and now I am healthier than I've been in my entire adult life.

If you're on a budget, I highly recommend eggs. They're one of nature's perfect foods. The yolk contains all the nutrients a growing baby bird would need, they have plenty of protein and are low in carbs, there are a million ways to use them, and they're one of the cheaper protein sources you can find in the store. Throw them into casseroles for a little extra protein, use them to coat meat or veggies before you grill, mix them with veggies for omelets, etc. I hard-boil a couple of dozen each week and use them as snacks whenever I get the munchies, they're portable & convenient.