What am I doing wrong?

Options
So, I've been working out and eating better, and monitoring my calories. I almost always eat at least 1200 calories which is my goal for MFP. I lost about 3-4 lbs and haven't lost an ounce in the last 10 days. Even before this losing any lbs was difficult- but I wasn't working out very much so it was understandable at that point.

Back in 2010 to prepare for my wedding, I used MFP and didn't exercise AT ALL, and I lost between 8-10 lbs while staying within my goal of 1200 calories. Now that I am exercising and staying within my goal (I rarely go over) and I can't lose a thing. I am not really losing any inches either.

Am I really gaining that much muscle that I can't lose any pounds? And I actually gained back about 3/4 pound of the 1 pound that I lost 10 days ago.

My current plan is to eat within 1200 calories, and I do 25-30 minutes of elliptical training 3-4 days (or more if I can) per week, and I have been doing the Butt Bible program for about a week and a half. Before the Butt Bible I was doing nearly zero cardio and Yoga Booty Ballet DVDs.

I am usually very close to 1200 calories. I am usually "under" my 1200 calorie goal but only slightly. I find myself sometimes having to force myself to eat a small snack after dinner in order to reach my 1200 calories. Sometimes I eat back my exercise calories, but rarely. I try to stay around the 1200. I am going to be adding some more protein, although I am rarely under in that category according to MFP. I have ordered Designer's Whey Women's Aria protein powder because I believe it will help me burn a little more fat and to help produce lean muscle. Obviously I do not want to bulk up.

Any ideas on how to change it up, or any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong? I made my diary public for the time being so if anyone wants to take a peek and see if there's something within my diet that's stalling me, please do.

I am not trying to lose a ton of weight, but at least another 8 lbs or so to get down to 130. Once I get to 130 I hope do some serious strength/toning training to tone up more, then maybe get down to 125 at some point but I will have to see how I look at 130.

Thanks for any help/advice, etc. :)

Replies

• adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating more? You are exercising more now right? So, you need to fuel your body.

Also, it has only been 10 days. Everyone hits plateaus. Sometimes that happens early in a journey, sometimes late, sometimes they last a few weeks, sometimes longer.

Also, you say you stay with 1200, but your MFP goal is over 1400. I would try to eat at your goal for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    eat more...there is a group I am part of called Eat More Lose Less...def. join it.

It has helped me. My body was in starvation mode and I was gaining!
  • hmengarelli
    hmengarelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from artifical sweetners. They cause you to crave more sugar because you tricked your body into thinking it got the sugar. Drink more water and have 4-5 small meals through out the day.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I find when I work out regularly (other than my long daily walks), I gain. I think it's water weight or something. I've found if anything on me hurts, the scale will increase.
  • fattofit20
    fattofit20 Posts: 86
    Options
    I too am having the same problem. For 3 weeks I exercised every day and ate 1200 calories a day or less. I've pretty much given up. I haven't exercised for a week and am still trying to watch my calorie intake somewhat but I've had a few days where I haven't. I am 5 ft. 1 inch and weigh 132 pounds. I am also in menopause and have found that losing weight is more difficult at this stage in my ife. In the past all I had to do was "think" about losing and the weight came off. Not anymore. I feel like I'll be stuck at this weight or above forever. Most of my weight is from my thighs to my rib cage. I have a sedentary job for 8 hours a day, sitting at a desk behind a computer. Not sure what to do at this point. I'm looking for suggestions.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    I agree, I would try "shocking" your body with a little added calories...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You have to eat more. If you body isn't receiving the fuel, it won't burn the fire. Based on your stats, I would put you at 1600 calories a day. I generally suggest 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Also, drop some of this cardio crap and start some heavy weight training. WT is what burns fat, cardio doesn't. So if you want a slimmer and tighter body, pick up weights where you are failing at 8-12 reps.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from artifical sweetners. They cause you to crave more sugar because you tricked your body into thinking it got the sugar. Drink more water and have 4-5 small meals through out the day.

I don't think I eat much sugar/sweeteners. I don't even add sugar or sweeteners to my coffee. I added Splenda today because I tried something new with my coffee, and it didn't work out well and I needed to add something in order to suck it down. LOL :)
  • PinkKitty724
    Options

Also, you say you stay with 1200, but your MFP goal is over 1400. I would try to eat at your goal for a few weeks and see what happens.

My MFP goal is only 1200. It's more when I exercise of course because it adds calories from exercise... but in general it's 1200. :)
    I will try to eat more. Sounds difficult though because I feel like I am eating a lot most days. Maybe a little more calories for breakfast will help since that's usually when I eat the least.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    I too am having the same problem. For 3 weeks I exercised every day and ate 1200 calories a day or less. I've pretty much given up. I haven't exercised for a week and am still trying to watch my calorie intake somewhat but I've had a few days where I haven't. I am 5 ft. 1 inch and weigh 132 pounds. I am also in menopause and have found that losing weight is more difficult at this stage in my ife. In the past all I had to do was "think" about losing and the weight came off. Not anymore. I feel like I'll be stuck at this weight or above forever. Most of my weight is from my thighs to my rib cage. I have a sedentary job for 8 hours a day, sitting at a desk behind a computer. Not sure what to do at this point. I'm looking for suggestions.

I also sit at a desk for 8 hours. My weight is at my hips and bum- hence why I am doing the "Butt Bible" to tone that area (hopefully), and the cardio for general fitness and fat loss.
    I would take the suggestions I've received here, too. Maybe eat a little more? Look into the foods you are eating, too. Make sure your meals are balanced and not full of artificial crap and preservatives. I am trying to do this more but sometimes I still have to add something that's prepared/packaged.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    You have to eat more. If you body isn't receiving the fuel, it won't burn the fire. Based on your stats, I would put you at 1600 calories a day. I generally suggest 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Also, drop some of this cardio crap and start some heavy weight training. WT is what burns fat, cardio doesn't. So if you want a slimmer and tighter body, pick up weights where you are failing at 8-12 reps.
    1600 calories sounds like an awful lot. And thanks for the suggestion on strength training. There is some in the Butt Bible, but I am only on level 1. Once I get up to Level 2 and 3, this will increase. I can add more but I don't have, nor do I want, a gym membership. I have resistance bands- maybe I could join hubby in his Power 90 sessions. Last I've read, heavy weights are not a good idea for women unless they want to bulk up and/or have super defined muscles. I want to be toned but I don't want a lot of definition for each muscle, either. Lean, long muscles, please :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1600 calories sounds like an awful lot. And thanks for the suggestion on strength training. There is some in the Butt Bible, but I am only on level 1. Once I get up to Level 2 and 3, this will increase. I can add more but I don't have, nor do I want, a gym membership. I have resistance bands- maybe I could join hubby in his Power 90 sessions. Last I've read, heavy weights are not a good idea for women unless they want to bulk up and/or have super defined muscles. I want to be toned but I don't want a lot of definition for each muscle, either. Lean, long muscles, please :)

Every single women on this board I have help are 1600-2500 calories. And it's impossible for women to bulk. They need testosterone in order to do so. And you can't gain lean muscle mass on a calorie deficit. So you have everything against you. The girl below eats 3000-4000 calories and power lifts. Is she bulky?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

For more confirmation, I am working with another member, she is 5'5" @ 153 lbs and is 36 years old. I had her lifting 4 days a week for an hour and no cardio at all. Here is her response

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

ps- just do power 90 with your husband. I have done p90x, p90x2, and doing another round of chalean extreme now and I am 200 lb guy.

BTW, even guys can't bulk unless they are eating more calories than they burn.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try to eat more. I was very nervous to up my calorie intake, but as soon as I started eating back my exercise calories, the pounds started coming off much easier! I understand the nerves, but it's worth it!
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    It looks like I messed up my diary. I had sections for Afternoon Snack and Evening Snack and decided to just put one category for "Snacks" so I guess it deleted the items I had in those other sections previously. I didn't even think about that. So, it looks like I ate less calories than I did on most days. :/
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water....and weigh & measure what you eat. Alot of times you don't realize you are eating to much. Try not to eat ready....processed foods
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Drinking lots of water....and weigh & measure what you eat. Alot of times you don't realize you are eating to much. Try not to eat ready....processed foods

I do need to work in more water. Lately I've had a but less than usual :)
    We weigh and measure our meats, and freeze them in these portion sizes. Otherwise, I may eat 2 servings of something but it's within my calories. Does that make a difference- eating a couple servings of something even if I stay within my calories??

Agreed on processed foods. We're trying, but we're not perfect yet :)
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories. Lost a little bit and then kinda stalled out. Started eating more healthy calories (I'm eating 1500-2000) and tracking SODIUM. Don't go over 2500mg a day! It is amazing how much hidden sodium is in food and how that can affect your weight loss efforts. I also stopped so much cardio (hated it really) and picked up some weights and a kettleball. I now play soccer once a week, yoga twice a week and throw in a little weights as I feel like it. The pounds are coming off but more importantly my body fat% has dropped 8% in 2 months. And I sit at a desk all day too.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories. Lost a little bit and then kinda stalled out. Started eating more healthy calories (I'm eating 1500-2000) and tracking SODIUM. Don't go over 2500mg a day! It is amazing how much hidden sodium is in food and how that can affect your weight loss efforts. I also stopped so much cardio (hated it really) and picked up some weights and a kettleball. I now play soccer once a week, yoga twice a week and throw in a little weights as I feel like it. The pounds are coming off but more importantly my body fat% has dropped 8% in 2 months. And I sit at a desk all day too.

Thanks! I have yoga DVDs that I stopped when I started the Butt Bible. I have thought about getting a kettlebell but I don't know how to use them. :) I suppose I could get one that has a DVD with it. Maybe I need to throw that yoga back in there, too. :)
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Definitely add weights in. Definitely eat more...at least your exercise calories at a minimum. Also how much sugar is in those Carnation breakfast drinks? You mentioned your snacks disappeared, so you may already be doing this, but eat some unsalted almonds or other unsalted nuts every day as well (portion control though). They are a great way to add calories and healthy fat (i see you're low on the fat goals). Once you start using the protein powder you ordered, that will also help with adding in calories, and will benefit your strength training efforts as well.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Definitely add weights in. Definitely eat more...at least your exercise calories at a minimum. Also how much sugar is in those Carnation breakfast drinks? You mentioned your snacks disappeared, so you may already be doing this, but eat some unsalted almonds or other unsalted nuts every day as well (portion control though). They are a great way to add calories and healthy fat (i see you're low on the fat goals). Once you start using the protein powder you ordered, that will also help with adding in calories, and will benefit your strength training efforts as well.
    I have some ankle weights I just got for my Butt Bible workouts. I will work in more weights somehow since many are suggesting that. I just ate peanut butter to get some more fat/cals in. I've been wanting to work in some PB- it's so good! I had just decided to get some peanuts. I was going to get honey roasted since those are my favorite, but if unsalted/unseasoned is better then I will get some regular ones. :)
    As far as the carnation things- they have 120mg of sodium. I won't be drinking them once the box is gone. The only reason I am drinking them is because I need to get rid of them. I purchased the box as an intermediary drink before our Ideal Shape meal replacement came in, and it came faster than we thought it would. Then we decided to not reorder the Ideal Shape because it was not what we expected. I think I have 3 or so packets of Carnation left and once they're gone, they're gone :) I hope my protein powder gets here sooner so I can start that. I am hoping to mix that with my coffee in the AM so I can work the non-dairy vanilla creamer out of my diet. I could drink my hubby's, but his is Optimum Nutrition which has 24g protein, so I thought it was too much for me in addition to all of the protein I eat normally.

**I just changed my diary to show sodium. While I am not typically doing all that bad- whenever I've had those prepared foods, it's through the roof. Especially those darn beans I had last night and the night before! Eek! Thanks for that tip!