FITBIT or HRM?

Options
I've been wanting a FitBit, but I don't have a HRM either. Does FitBit have a HRM in it? Or is it just a super snazzy pedometer? lol Do I need to have both? Or if you have both which do you like best?

Replies

• shewanna
    shewanna Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Its a super snazzy pedometer but I love it..I also have a mio motiva heart rate watch..the fitbit really motivates you to get off your butt and on your feet
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • camelotss
    camelotss Posts: 55
    Options
    I've had my hrm for a long time but just started using a fitbit. The fitbit showed me just how inactive I was throughout the day. It has really gotten me moving more to reach my daily goals (10 flights of stairs, 10,000 steps, 5 miles). I'm totally hooked. I use my hrm only when exercising but wear the fitbit all day. I've compared the calorie expenditure on each device during workouts...its pretty much the same. I'm a gadget person so I think I'll always use both but if I had to choose I think I'd opt for the fitbit.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've had my hrm for a long time but just started using a fitbit. The fitbit showed me just how inactive I was throughout the day. It has really gotten me moving more to reach my daily goals (10 flights of stairs, 10,000 steps, 5 miles). I'm totally hooked. I use my hrm only when exercising but wear the fitbit all day. I've compared the calorie expenditure on each device during workouts...its pretty much the same. I'm a gadget person so I think I'll always use both but if I had to choose I think I'd opt for the fitbit.

Thank you!!! I think I am going to go for the FitBit... just offers so much! I'm stoked to see the sleep pattern stuff too... I am also going to get a HRM, because I think you need both... but I am opting for a cheap HRM at Walmart or something (for now) , and def going for the FitBit :) Thanks for the info!!! :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Its a super snazzy pedometer but I love it..I also have a mio motiva heart rate watch..the fitbit really motivates you to get off your butt and on your feet

Thank you :) I think I'm going for the FitBit :)
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for 2.5 years and L O V E love it!
    It recently went kaput and now I have the newer model - its amazing what all it tracks.
    Best $99 I ever spent on myself.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting a FitBit, but I don't have a HRM either. Does FitBit have a HRM in it? Or is it just a super snazzy pedometer? lol Do I need to have both? Or if you have both which do you like best?

They aren't really comparable, as they are intended for different things. I don't think it's either/or.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options

The exact same thing happened to me. Had an HRM (and loved it). Now have a fitbit and love it. Wear the fitbit all day, but the HRM during my workouts only.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for 2.5 years and L O V E love it!
    It recently went kaput and now I have the newer model - its amazing what all it tracks.
    Best $99 I ever spent on myself.

I'm with you there. I've had mine about two years and I love it!
  • alericmckearn
    alericmckearn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    IMO, don't get a cheap heart rate monitor, you'll just be wasting your money. I had a polar for years and before I replaced the heart rate band, I bought a cheapy just to get by. Withn a week I returned it. Apparently while I was driving to the gym, my heart rate was well over 200? Um, no. Get a polar if you're planning on staying with this for the long haul. :)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    FitBit is snazzy super ultra cool pedometer (and so much more, really, once you get playing with it.)

HRM is a more accurate way to keep tabs on calories burned since FitBit uses estimates based on your stats. (AFAIK)

I had FitBit first, then got a Zephyr HRM - and use my FitBit 24/7, and both every time I go for my walks.

Losing weight is worth every penny I have invested into the tools I use.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for 6 months and it really showed me how inactive I was during the day. The HRM is to be used just for working out. The fit bit is on all day and night. The fit bit made me more aware at work that I needed to get up when I took a break and walk up the stairs or walk around the building. Soon 4 of us at work had one and started having "stair wars" and trying to beat our last days goal! it has been fun! BUT>>>>>now that I am enrolled in a exercise class called "sweat camp" it does not catch the calories I am burning during that hour since some of it is doing sit ups and other wall work that I am moving and sweating at, we litterally do not stop moving for the entire hour, but the fit bit does not "get it all". In this instance a HRM that tracks your heart rate would be good, plus if you swim the fit bit can not go in water and a lot of HRM's can.

I do love my fit bit and think it is a great place to start until you get used to moving your butt on a consistent basis!! I will purchase an HRM some day....
  • RobinvdM
    Options
    (snip) Soon 4 of us at work had one and started having "stair wars" and trying to beat our last days goal!

I would love to see the scrolling screen background story for that epic tale. That is cool that you managed to get a group of coworkers together to walk, and now workout. A heart rate monitor is def a good investment, just make sure you do some good research into the different kinds. I have a zephyr, that I suspect wouldn't last in the water (no idea, I didn't think to even look into that!) but it is rechargeable and comes with a USB charging station. The downside is, it needs to be recharged every 4th walk.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I use an HRM because I have no idea what a Fitbit is..nor do I think I want to spend more money on something I might not use.
  • RobinvdM
    Options
    I use an HRM because I have no idea what a Fitbit is..nor do I think I want to spend more money on something I might not use.

http://www.fitbit.com/

Short summary: snazzy pedometer that calculates estimated daily calories burned based on your stats and step length. It also calculates height changes to accommodate stair climbers/hill climbers. It is easy to carry around on your person 24/7, comes with a display screen that sends peptalk messages when it senses you moving it, as well as displaying activity level changes, est calories burned, distance traveled, and steps taken. It uses an interactive website where you register/login. You can track your food (like on MFP) exercise, weight, measurements (quite a few more options for that than MFP) and it syncs with MFP so you don't need to log everything on both sites. I primarily use MFP for everything, except logging activities - my fitbit account syncs that info to MFP for me. I find it less sensitive (easily jarred/steps recorded) than most "under $50" pedometers which works for me, I don't want to get walking credit just because I giggled and jiggled my bra, or due to someone jostling me. FitBit also tracks milestones, such as distances walked, heights climbed, etc- and gives you e-badges for accomplishments. I have nailed my 20k step badge, 500miles walked badge, and 1000 floors climbed badge (lifetime accomplishments, not daily ones!)

That skipped a lot of plus points about FitBit I am sure- there just is so much positive there, lol. For some people its a great tool, for others not so much. For me it works, because I am competitive even with myself so Ive been practicing to try and beat my "all time" record of 26k steps. For me that's about 13 miles worth of walking I have to do. Ouch. Anyway- to each their own. I'd definitely recommend it, but if you are doing great without it, then don't worry about it :)