Pre-Workout Snack or Empty Stomach?

Options
Is it better to have a snack before working out or to go on an empty stomach? If my goal is maximum fat burn? And if I should have a snack, what would the most ideal snack be? Thanks!

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I work out on a empty stomach, unless it is going to be a really long endurance type workout. Then it is something small, like a banana
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's a preference. Try them both and see which is better for you. I like it on an empty stomach because I feel sluggish when I eat before I workout.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump.....im curious to know too. I'm starting water aerobics next week and i don't want to be starving when I'm done with the class because i have a 45 minute drive home.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's a personal preference. When I workout in the morning I do so on an empty stomach and then eat breakfast when I get to work. When I workout during the day (on the weekends) I make sure to have eaten something 1-2 hours beforehand.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on the workout, if it's an hour, I'll have a small snack (like 100 calories), if it's going to be 2 hours I have to eat a legit meal about an hour before I go and then I take a protein shake with me to drink right after.

It's very much a personal choice. I get headaches and dizzy if I don't eat before a workout. I also feel very sluggish if I don't eat the right things before a workout. So try it and find out what works for you!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If I go to the gym VERY early (4:30am), then I go with an empty stomach. Seems like that is WAY before breakfast time, so not eating is more comfortable.

If I go more towards a normal breakfast time(5:30-6am), I will eat something light that is protein rich...protein drink or plain greek yogurt. Since I do weight training, the lower carb, higher protein food makes me more energetic for the workout.

Before an afternoon run (in between meals), I often take a small amount of hydration drink (I use Shaklee Performance) for the carb fuel.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of the above...personal preference, type of workout and time. I work out in the morning (very early) and generally do fasted cardio. If I try to force food down that early, its probably going to come back up.

When I do later workouts, I have found that I do need something in my tummy before or I end up getting that low-sugar crashing feeling..

Whatever you choose, just be sure you always keep hydrated!
  • acragle
    acragle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think it probably depends on what kind of workout you're doing and how your body responds. I will eat an hour so before along with a pre-workout like Jack3d, but if you're not doing a prewkout, then your energy level (and thus your performance) might suffer if you haven't eaten in a while. I eat every three hours, so it's not much of an issue here.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Pick Your Level Weight Loss Pilates and I just ate an orange. We shall see how this goes.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Snack, so I can support a good workout. This morning, before my bicycle commute, I ate a slice of multigrain bread with cream cheese (my commute is 14 miles and hilly, so it takes about an hour). After I finished my ride, I ate a banana and a handful of almonds to replenish, then after my shower I had a bagel and cream cheese for brekkies.

If I'm going in for 20 minutes of cardio, I rarely bother with a snack before and just eat a banana afterward. But if it's over a half hour, I generally fuel up at least a tiny bit.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Depends...

I go lift about 4am and I have roughly 250 calories, mostly carbs pre-workout and my during workout drink has another 250 calories in it. I've tried fasted lifting but I don't seem to have the same pop and I feel like I get sore easier.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat 200ish cals 30min-1hr prior. Usually almonds and a piece of fruit. On long run days I eat roughly 500 cals prior, usually peanut butter banana oatmeal.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    If it's in the morning I try not...I ate least have a piece of fruit or a bowl of dry cereal...
    If it's in the afternoon/evening I'll workout on an empty stomach cause it's not really all that empty lol
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump.....im curious to know too. I'm starting water aerobics next week and i don't want to be starving when I'm done with the class because i have a 45 minute drive home.

if you're exercising in the water, you might want to eat something beforehand. i personally get SO ravenous when i spend time in the water, and a 45 minute drive home would be just miserable. i would suggest a banana - good sugars that will fuel you and not fill you up. (maybe pack a snack like some nuts for the post-workout drive home, too, just in case.)
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I like atkins shakes. I drink about 1/2 of one before heading to the gym in the morning. Finish the rest of it when I get home from the gym.
  • ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Bump,
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I workout on an empty stomach unless I'm going for a long run (like over 10 miles). Then I'll eat a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter about 45 minutes before I leave and I carry Honey Stinger Chews with me.
  • prettyGAMMA
    Options
    For me it depends on the intensity of the workout. I usually prefer like a small snack like a dried fruit and nut mix, granola, or some greek yogurt.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. When I get home from work, I wanna eat. Trouble is, I workout soon after and get indigestion. This happens even if I wait an hour or two. I've discovered I have to eat light or not at all before workouts. UGH.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I usually try and have something about an hour before I work out. Cliff Bar's are my favorite.