Could this be wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had no idea those Subway chicken breasts were not just chicken breasts:
    CHICKEN BREAST PATTY Chicken breast with rib meat, water, seasoning (corn syrup solids, vinegar
    powder [maltodextrin, modified corn starch and tapioca starch, dried vinegar], brown sugar, salt, dextrose, garlic powder, onion powder, chicken type flavor [hydrolyzed corn gluten, autolyzed yeast extract, thiamine hydrochloride, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate]), sodium phosphates.

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

I love that "chicken type flavor" is a concoction of hydrolyzed corn gluten, autolyzed yeast extract, thiamine hydrochloride, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. Even so, I simply don't believe the 46 g of carbohydrates. That looks pretty close to the carbs for a 6" subway roasted chicken sandwich, including the bread. http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx
  • grant_me_wings
    grant_me_wings Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's not chicken, as mentioned above. Checking the macro nutrient counts, it checks out...

fat 3.5*9 + carbs 46*4 + protein 18*4 = 31.5+256 = 287.5

Eat real chicken, it is more protein, no carb, less fat, and tastes better.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Looking at the information on the Subway chicken breast this would be one piece = one serving.

http://calorielab.com/restaurants/subway/6-oven-roasted-chicken-breast/6/430
  • treetop57
    Options
    That's a six inch sandwich, including bread.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Using the data here (http://calorielab.com/restaurants/subway/6) and subtracting the 6" oven roasted chicken sandwich from the double meat oven roasted chicken sandwich, it looks like a subway "chicken" "breast" has these values:
    Calories 100
    Fat 3 g
    Saturated Fat 0.5 g
    Cholesterol 45 mg
    Sodium 500 mg
    Carbs 3 g
    Fiber 0 g
    Sugar 2 g
    Protein 15 g
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 0 %
    Iron 0 %
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    That label looks like it's from China...
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    Ok I did the build your own online, did it as a salad with their Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, and put in NOTHING no veg/cheese/dressing/ NOTHING here is what they claim at Subway:
    Nutrition information
    Default nutritional values are based on the standard 6" sub recipe. Values and portion size will automatically update when the Calculate Yours feature is used.

SERVING SIZE (g)

CALORIES

Calories from Fat

TOTAL FAT (g)

Saturated Fat (g)

Trans Fat* (g)

CHOLESTEROL (mg)

SODIUM (mg)

CARBOHYDRATES (G)

Dietary Fiber (g)

Sugars (g)

PROTEIN (G)

VITAMIN A % DV

VITAMIN C % DV

CALCIUM % DV

IRON % DV

Sorry it posted longways
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't have any research to back this up, so take it with a grain of salt. But the meat they serve in chain restaurants is processed in such a way so that no matter where you go, the food always tastes the same. To accomplish this, they add so many chemicals, preservatives, fillers, flavorings, etc. That may account for the unreasonably high calorie and sodium in that meat product.

I would suggest getting fresh chicken. That package sends red flags up in my head, '1 Serving' seems like they mean one piece, and that is waaaaaay too high. Get cleaner, fresher meat, something closer to actual chicken!! You'll be able to estimate your calories more accuratly and it'll taste better, too!
  • koreanbro
    koreanbro Posts: 7
    Options
    I think the package is missleading the information, I would just go buy fresh meat when ever im cooking. I wonder which food has more protien and less fat? Chicken, Fish, or Steak? I love eating Sashimi!
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I think the package is missleading the information, I would just go buy fresh meat when ever im cooking. I wonder which food has more protien and less fat? Chicken, Fish, or Steak? I love eating Sashimi!
    Fish is typically low on the fat richter.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Check the ingredient list and see what has been added besides chicken meat. This may be reconstituted chicken with added sugars, salt, etc.
  • XxXHillaryXxX
    XxXHillaryXxX Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt eat that. buy fresh chicken and grill it yourself.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh those Subway chicken things are not 100% chicken. I remember seeing a news story on it once... it's got all kind of fillers in it. Blech.

Perdue fit and easy chicken tenderloins, FTW. They take no time at all to cook.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When I purchased this, I knew I was getting "chicken" but it was cheap and I'm on a budget. So I knew what I was getting into in that sens. but I never looked at the nutritional information before I bought it, which I usually do! I was just surprised by the cals and yes the sodium and carbs are crazy?! And the servings size wasn't specific...... So I don't think I'm going to be buying this anymore.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Ps there is no ingredient list :angry:
  • chattyKathi
    chattyKathi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree way to many carbs for chicken! I really don't think you should even eat these! its just processed food anyway. you are better off just getting fresh boneless skinless and cutting it up yourself....

just saw your last post, I hear ya about the budget but in the long run its better. and try not to get anything that says"water" or "solution" added for flavor , its just salt water and makes the chicken rubbery IMO.
  • treetop57
    Options
    No ingredient list? I don't think that would be legal in the US. I would think Canada would have stricter labeling laws as well.