Question for City Dwellers

Options
Do you log your daily walking? I'm inclined to only log planned exercise (Ripped in 30, running, elliptical), but I do SO MUCH other walking just because I have to (to work, to the gym, to the grocery store, etc).

What do other city dwellers do? Do you log everything, or just intentional stuff?

Thanks!

Replies

• Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lol... we walk places in the countryside, too ;) Don't just use our tractors all the time.. That'd be lazy. Bwhaha. Sorry, unhelpful reply, it just amused me :)
  • Lup120
    Lup120 Posts: 31
    Options
    I do log it, I just make sure I log it as slow walking (even though a lot of times I need to haul a** because I am running late).My walks are relatively long walks. It's a 25-30 minute walk from my apartment to work and from my apartment to the gym. It's a 15 minute walk from my work to to the gym. I use the MFP walking and round down a bit because the MFP numbers are pretty high and since I do it pretty much everyday my body is pretty used to it.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Lol... we walk places in the countryside, too ;) Don't just use our tractors all the time.. That'd be lazy. Bwhaha. Sorry, unhelpful reply, it just amused me :)

Hahah sorry! I didn't mean anything by it -- I come from the suburbs where we drive everywhere, so this city-walking thing is new to me :)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'd either log it as walking, or if it's a pretty regular thing, just change your activity level setting up a level or two to active or very active to account for that extra activity without having to log it each time.
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If it is something I always do then I never log the activity because it is something my body is use to doing.
  • ravenwcatz
    ravenwcatz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I typically only log it if I know it's going to take me, say, 20 minutes or longer to get somewhere. If I know I'm just popping out to the store for some stamps, or a coffee, or whatever, I'll occasionally do a few laps around the park outside my apartment to make sure I actually *get* 20 minutes or a half hour of walking, just so I can count it. :P
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'll log anything more than 20 minutes but try not to eat the calories back. Too small of a burn and could be inaccurate. When I'm in London I usually walk for about 3 hours so I'll take that into consideration when planning my food out.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you do it every day, incorporate it in your general activity level - moderately active etc. - instead of logging it. Anything above and beyond that, log it!
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago and don't own a car and when I started doing this I wondered the same thing, so I got a fitbit in part to find out how much walking I do on a daily basis. Though it is certainly more than I used to do when I lived in a small town and drove everywhere it really only added up to about a mile a day which I thought was not signficant. Now I only count "intentional" walking i.e. if I go out for a lunchtime walk I count it, I don't count walking to public transit or to the grocery store.

I would recommend buying or borrowing some kind of step counter and find out what your daily routine really entails. If it is signficant (more than a mile or so) you could just work out some equivalent that you log each day. For example if in your daily routine you walk 2.5 miles then each day log 1 hour of walking at 2.5 mph to cover your walking throughout the day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't count my normal daily walking as extra.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    I thought that was worked into your activity level on your profile.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit so it's logged automatically.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I thought that was worked into your activity level on your profile.

Yeah. If your profile settings are for a low activity level, then log all of your walking. If it's for a higher activity level, then don't log all your walking.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I would just set your profile settings at a high activity level. That will allow a couple hundred (ish) extra calories daily, and you can just log actual scheduled sweaty exercise.