Anyone with Celiacs having a hard time loosing??

Options
Beebes99
Beebes99 Posts: 8 Member
I have Celiacs, which in a nutshell means i'm gluten intolerant. Basically no flour, wheat, oats or anything with gluten. Its hard and sometimes I feel like i'm missing out on yummy foods or sometimes i feel like i'm running out of options b/c i have to eat alot of the same things. My weight has been an issue since i was diagnosed. People with Celiac's dont absorb nutrients as well as the average person. I try to put back those missing nutrients with supplements ( I take two handfuls a day). Anyways, i feel like no matter what i do, i gain. I've done weight watchers, had a personal trainer, and done the Body by Vi shakes (i'm seriously considering Insanity workouts, but I dont like the idea of doing it by myself-maybe i just need to suck it up and do it)
Any other Celiac's out there have some tips (recipes, motivation, tricks, supplements, etc....) any and all helpful advice is welcomed.
Thanks ya'll :)

Replies

• karenwhite68
    karenwhite68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW...sounds like my life. I have Celiac disease and since being diagnosed I have been gaining weight. I have always been active and watched what I ate but since going gluten free nothing is working for me anymore. I am so frustrated. I have tried Weight Watchers, Body by Vi shakes as well...I exercise for 60 minutes a day and live on 1200 calories. I have just recently gone back to my dietitian and she has recommended that I give up my one glass of wine a week :( for two weeks ...I will try anything right now to try and loose a few pounds but at the same time wondering what else I am going to have to give up...anyway, just wanted to let you know...I can relate...
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am non-Celiac gluten intolerant. When I went on the GF diet, they told me I would drop a lot of weight. Presumably from going to a relatively lower carb diet. ANd that probably would be true if you are in fact lower carb. But, if you eat a lot of GF 'substitutes', like GF bread, GF cookies, etc, they are way more calorie dense than regular gluten versions, and often no lower in carbs. (Not to mention, the malabsorbtion you have as a Celiac patient, you will become much more efficient absorbing calories than you were pre-GF diet,)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am celiac, but I skip lots of the GF substitutes. I occasionally buy a loaf of gluten free bread, but I feel much better eating a more protein and veg, dairy and fruit type diet. The basic food combining principles.
    I am short and have 70 pounds to lose so I am set at the lose 2pounds / week giving me a total of 1200 calories to eat.
    I am not sure how close you are to your goal but if you are within 30ish pounds then you will lose slower.
    Don't be stuck just eating the 1200, your body needs more then that to get your nutrients, so exercise and eat more. Check out the "Eat more to lose weight" group. They are bang on.
    I eat most of my exercise calories and I lose my 2 pounds a week. If I have a slow week it is usualy because I haven't been eating enough.
    You don't want to give up something every week when you could be adding something to your plate instead. You need the bigger budget to get nutrients, watch your settings, can you get nearly enough calcium and iron on 1200? I can't, I have to suppliment, and I try hard.
    Keep looking at similar posts, and keep trying to find what works for you.
    Best wishes.
  • o2seaobx
    o2seaobx Posts: 5
    Options
    I am a 47 year old, eight year dianosed Celiac. Triggered by my first pregnancy. Gained 100 lbs. with each pregnancy.... was 316 lbs. by the time I had my son, who weighed 11. lbs 12 oz at a month early. (no diabetes) I have stayed overweight since my teens, and although I lost weight when initially diagnosed, I quickly gained it back when I started substituting with gf products. Most are much higher in calories and fat than regular foods. I just started the low carb diet, and have to say that so far, it is working! It is really rough the first week or two, you get what is called Keto Flu, but if you stick to it, it is worth it. I am NOT hungry at all, and now have to remind myself to eat. This from someone who constanty was looking for something to eat! I keep my total carbs between 30 and 50 a day. Losing inches more than pounds, and have lots more energy!