Do you run with your dog?

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    I use to run with my Great Dane; she set a killer pace {she is an older girl now and can only do the slower paces and short distances}. I now run with my Labador {around 3 to 5 miles}.

As others have stated your first step is to teach your new puppy some basic commands {sit; heal}. Give them a chance to go to the bathroom before going out. My Dane still will only pee and poop in her yard however the Lab always shakes things free and will wait until we are in a slow stage to take care of business, but every time will have to go poop at least once. He knows how to heal and stay right with me but he also has a phase when I say pick-up the pace where he will run out ahead of me and help me to jog a little faster {he likes this because it allows him to get ahead and sniff around, always on leash.
  • rio66
    rio66 Posts: 49
    Yes I run with my dog but I try not to go too far because her legs are shorter than mine! Lol! She's a Shar Pei x Bull Terrier so she has a short coat and she weighs about 20kgs.I can usually jog with her for about 20 mins (approx 2.2kms) before she starts to lag noticeably.I have built this up with her gradually though I have also trained her to keep walking without stopping unless I allow it. I walk pretty fast and I don't want to keep stopping every 5 seconds because she wants to sniff a blade of grass! She stays by my left side and doesn't cross over (She learnt that the hard way because I have stepped on her paws a couple of times poor thing! lol!) I love my pooch and I don't dare step out for a walk or run without her! Besides, I'd feel guilty!

Here she is begging me to take her for walkies...for the second time that day...lol!
    IMG_3620.jpg
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    I have a terror/queensland cross and if he dosent get to run with me in the morning. I started training him on a leash the day that I took him away from his mother. i always recomend help from a professonal for anyone with any animal, but if not, know what you want, be firm, and consistant.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    I started to run with mine, but not anymore....at least not much. He's a 2 year old, 80 lb black lab mix (probably pit bull) and full of energy. Took him running on a couple times building distance. Always started him with a 1 mile walk, then the running. Few weeks back he came up lame after a 4 mile walk / run on a Saturday and 4 mile walk on Sunday. Gave him a week off, but he was limping after a 3 mile on the following Sunday. Trip to the vet and found out he's got hip dysplasia (very mild), so his endurance running career is over.

When I was running him I first walked to a school that has a dirt / cinderstone running track. Jogging laps on the dirt track was easier on my knees and he just fell into stride next to me as long as no other dogs around. Running on the street gave to many opportunities to stumble across a cat (he would chase it) or find stuff to sniff (he would slam on the brakes).
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    no, but I have seriously contemplated going door to door asking if someone has a dog I can walk, haha.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 740 Member
    I have a pitbull and a Yorkie, and both of them LOVE to run with me!! For optimum results, I suggest leash-training your puppy early on :wink:

photo.jpg
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Yes I do, but like others have said it is important that they are old enough. My whippet/Bedlington does 8 miles easily, it is me that can not do more. One of the best things in my life is running early morning on a beach with her running off the lead, pure bliss. Obviously you need to take water, poop bags, keep on lead when necessary, all the things if you were walking.
  • bcara
    bcara Posts: 4
    bump. a good future reference topic as I'm thinking about getting a dog soon too.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    No, but my cat will sit on the treadmill with me when I walk.

IMAG0194.jpg

that's great....
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    I still can not get my 9 month old lab to stop pulling...I've tried the stop and stand on leash method, nothing...We got him a harness, he chewed thru that....There really is something very special about our dog, I think he would be a great recovery dog for missing people, but those classes are very expensive...So, we take him and my grandma's dog to the dog park to run like the wind. My cat she enjoys the peace and quiet!
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    I have a dachshund and a chihuahua/rat terrier. They are too small. But they bark at me when I do my elliptical trainer. Does that count?
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    I run with my two dogs and they couldn't be more different. I have a 10 year old American Bulldog ***** who has run with me for years on and off, she runs really well on the lead. I have one of those leads that have a section that goes across your body. I would highly recommend one of these lead types. Not sure who stocks them in the US but I have pasted a link below for a UK one so you get the idea.

I also have a 2 year old Bichone Frise and he is a little more difficult on the lead, as he gets distracted easily. I try to run on the beach so they can both be off the lead, but the Bichon does get under my feet sometimes.

I think it's just a personality thing, with him, not a training issue, but they love it and really look forward to their runs.

Also my American Bulldog is fully protection trained so we watch each other's backs on quieter runs, so I feel a lot safer, plus - unlike human running buddies that don't want to chat gibberish the whole run and you can still listen to your music LOL.

Oh I forgot to mention I never feed them before a run, or they never run as well.

http://johnhumphris.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LE90530
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Yep sure do. I have a 8kg and a 16kg dog. The bigger one is better, longer legs... But they both enjoy it. It takes practice and patience. Most important thing you need to run with dogs is "CONTROL" without it, they will trip you up :bigsmile:
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    I will take my dog on walks/runs with me, she is a German Shepherd. What I first suggest is to train them on the leash to stay to one side of you and make sure they do not weave back and forth. We (and anyone walking her) will keep her to the left and she stays right there. That way I do not have to worry about her jumping in front of me and tripping me. Also I do not just sprint, we will walk, then jog, walk, jog, etc. Plus we are stationed in the UK right now so it is not exceptionally hot here...but I still take her in the late evening (around 8). It is great for her since it gets her out and gets her some exercise. And she LOVES it...most of the time she makes me run because she wants to...lol.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 492 Member
    :ohwell: no, because my dog thinks it's a great game and tries to bite me!!! :laugh:
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    I still can not get my 9 month old lab to stop pulling...I've tried the stop and stand on leash method, nothing...We got him a harness, he chewed thru that....There really is something very special about our dog, I think he would be a great recovery dog for missing people, but those classes are very expensive...So, we take him and my grandma's dog to the dog park to run like the wind. My cat she enjoys the peace and quiet!

What I did with my Sheperd when she started to pull is: walk with them on the leash...then they start to pull, turn them around and walk back the way you came (about 4-5 steps) then suddenly turn around again and walk back the opposite way until they pull again, then you repeat. Granted, I looked like a fool for about 20 minutes walking no more then about 10 steps with my dog at a time but she caught on very quickly that we were going to walk where I wanted to go...not where she wanted to go.

Another option is the Halti Head Collar, these are VERY popular in the UK. My neighbor just started using one with her 90-pound lab and he is a different dog when he is on this. He no longer pulls at all!!! I am sure you can also find these in the states. http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/products/dog-training-and-accessories/stop-pulling/halti-headcollar
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    I started to jog with my 3year old lab oscar but I have to keep him on the lead and when your jogging fast and a dog half your body weight decides he wants to stop and smell something you stop! and your arm dislocates lol
    I would rather jog without him but I feel guilty leaving him behind he loves it, although he cant do over an hour it would kill him.
    Also if you're starting with a pup build the walks up slowly then jog then run its soooo easy to over walk a pup and will give them serious joint problems in later life!
    Good luck with the puppy :)
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Yes, I run with my dog. He's a 4 year old greyhound cross and he loves running. He's always in a hurry and pulls on the lead, but after buying a harness and a running belt, it's been much easier to run with him.

Here's a clip of some runners and dogs using the running belt and harness.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGY4GHNEeZ8&feature=fvst

I would say start slowly (we went from long walks to hiking and then started doing short runs) and go at the dog's speed (if they want to slow down, slow down). Also, doing a quick sniff and poo stop before the run helps as you won't have to stop so often. In warm weather you have to be extra careful, so try to run in the mornings or evenings when it's cooler, take water for the dog (sometimes I wet the dog's chest too) and if it's a really hot day leave the dog at home.
    If you aren't set on the dog, get a RESCUE! Adopt, don't shop!

Our dog is a rescue dog and we love him to bits. :heart:
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Yes, I do! I have a 3yo GoldenDoodle (Golden Retriever/Standard Poodle cross), she weighs 68#.

We are currently in week 6 of the couch to 5k program, so she's doing about 2.5 miles with me 3 - 4 days a week. As for "training" - I did nothing special to prepare for jogging with her because I instilled leash manners in her VERY early on in puppyhood (as well as verbal commands). She goes in a harness, and stays at my side - her shoulder in line with my knee, never in front of me. She does not pull, does not run into me, does not cross in front or behind - her shoulder is at my knee and that's where she stays. When we see other dogs, she is allowed to look at them but never allowed to pull me. Also, I make sure that she gets about 10 minutes in my backyard to potty, play, sniff, etc before we go out. I do my couch-to-5k in the early mornings (6ish) so we don't really have to worry about the heat...and I keep her closely shaved in the summer and a bit longer in the winter. On our off days we take a very brisk walk first thing in the morning, and on the weekends we go hiking out on the horse trails where I board my horse....and she comes along when I go riding.

My advice is to definitely train leash manners VERY early, get a breed (or cross breed) who is easily trainable and has the build required to do longer jogs, and start slowly. My pup started the C25K with me, so she built up her endurance as I built up mine.

Good luck! I just love having my pup with me when I jog!

Edited to add - not sure if anyone posted this yet, but here's a great article about what dog breeds are best for different types of running:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-527--13611-0,00.html
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    I use too. I would take him through the woods so it wasnt as hard on his paws. Hes a 2 year old Jack Russell, and not very well behaved. He cant be taken off his lead so i use to run with that. It just ruined my workout because hes too preoccupied with other dogs, and dog walkers would think it was an ok time to talk to me. So its a no go now!