The truth about Agave nector

Options
celticmuse
celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
Someone told me about this, but I didn't believe her, but apparently it is true. Agave is not a healthy sugar
alternative:

http://goneraw.com/forum/interesting-article-about-agave-syrup-not-healthy-product-you-may-think-it

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Just another thing for us to think about.......................I am not diabetic (thank you, Lord), so do not HAVE to restrict my sugar intake. I believe in the motto "all things in moderation", and tend to go towards as natural of product as I can. I eat sugary things at times, because I like them. High Fructose corn syrup is not the devil. White sugar is not evil. Donuts are good!

Personally, I avoid all 'fake' sugars..................I like honey, I like 'sugar in the raw', I like stuff that's good for me. Agave? I don't know much about it, and it doesn't strike me as something I need in my diet.

So, to each his/her own. Work with what WORKS FOR YOU..............and if you need to avoid sugar, by all means, do so!
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    I didn't read your link, but I know certified nutritionists say Agave Nectar has a higher concentration of fructose than high fructose corn syrup.

I can't remember the percentages, but I think corn syrup may be around 60 % and agave quite a bit higher than that.

It's one to stay away from.

Clare
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I have never used Agave very much, except to put a couple of TBSP in my homemade granola. I agree with you, Polly, I tend to avoid sugar substitutes. It will go in the trash as soon as I get home.
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    Bother! I just bought some of this to try out some baking for my diabetic mum's birthday treats :(
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I knew it was highly processed. Once you cut sweets out and the craving goes away your fine. I don't miss them anymore.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Dr Mercola is a frequent guest on Dr Oz ............what's that expression about peas in a pod? He lost all credibility, as far as I'm concerned, with his assertions that microwave ovens alter the chemical composition of foods and the alarmist (and unfounded) hype on his website.