Major calorie burning

Options
2»

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Totally doable. If you're a male that weighs in the neighborhood of 260, all you need to do it is maintain an average HR of 150 for the hour to do it.
  • lisaspriggins
    lisaspriggins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiya I am a Zumba instructor and wear a heart rate monitor during most of my class, generally I burn between 800 and 900 calories per hour so not far off.....would love to hit the 1000 calorie mark!!!!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I burn about 600 cals in an hour doing HIIT at an incline.

It sucks to have lost weight and burn less calories than I did 100lbs ago.

No, not really. I will take the weight loss thankyouverymuch. Not to mention I didn't even incline the treadmill back then :smile:
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I try to burn over 1000 calories every time I work out. Doing P90X is an easy calorie scorcher. One of my favorites is a circuit I came up with. I jog around my neighborhood but also add in squats, lunches, pushups, and abs. This is always a fantastic workout and it works out every part of your body! :)

**lunges
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I burned 1000 one time, but it was about an hour and a half. My HRM usually has me at about 650 after an hour of running and yoga. I think a lot is overestimating, but at the same time my DH burns about 850 in the same hour I work out.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 254lbs and have burned 941 calories doing 60 minutes of MMA conditioning. I train three days a week for anywhere from 50 minutes to 80 minutes and range from the high 700s to the high 1100s. To measure my calorie burn, I use a Polar HRM with chest strap.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You burn ~0.65 calories per mile per pound running. To burn 1000 calories/hr, you either have to be heavy or light and fast. At 150 lbs, you'd have to run 10.25 miles to burn 1000 calories.

I'm 6', 150. Two weeks ago, I biked for 65 minutes and burned 1031 calories. 18.1 mph average. The next day I ran for 50 minutes and burned 820 calories. Neither are 1000 C/hr pace (running was 984 C/hr, biking was 951 C/hr)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Probably not unless you are large, muscular, and sustaining a pretty significant full-body effort. 900 is about my peak on cardio, and I'm 6' 3".
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I can do it.

You gone for a test? Or is this a HRM reading?

Also a large person couldnt do this, they would not be able to keep the intenisty for that long.

HRM reading, but I've also compared my HRM readings to other HRM and weight/distance calculations and they all fall pretty close to one another.

In a 3 hour race I'll pass 3k calories.
  • FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options
    For the first 3 weeks I burned anything from 900 to 1000 cals an hour but that is because I was 250, no muscle and I drank MORE than 2 liters of coke everyday BEFORE I started the workout. So for me it was because my body was just shredding away the soda weight crap. Now I burn around 650 to 800 cals an hour for the first hour then it slows down the next couple of hours.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I can do it.

You gone for a test? Or is this a HRM reading?

Also a large person couldnt do this, they would not be able to keep the intenisty for that long.

HRM reading, but I've also compared my HRM readings to other HRM and weight/distance calculations and they all fall pretty close to one another.

In a 3 hour race I'll pass 3k calories.

I take that back. Looking at my last race I was under 3k. Oh well. I used to be able to do it.
  • toocool0085
    toocool0085 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you weigh and how tall you are all depends on how much you can burn per hour. I started doing boxing and they say you can burn up to 800-1000 an hour. The classes are an hour long and I enter 800 per class into MFP. It is all about the intensity at which you exercise at. When you feel like there is a wall when your doing an exercise, push through it. That is the only way possible to 1000 per hour. As the lactic acid builds up in your muscles and its hurting, you just keep pushing and pushing and never let up, you can reach that goal. Although, there is no way to measure how many you actually burn, you will know if you work to the best of your ability at a certain level. Plus, 800-1000 calories is only 200 calories, you can run 2 miles and achieve that.

Kev:smile:
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 300+ and can burn 1000 with an hour of swimming laps. Of course as the weight comes off it will be harder and harder to do this.
  • mr_rat
    mr_rat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    IDK...i've burned 500 calories in 30 minutes, i am considered morbidly obese. I think I could burn 1000 in an hour if i could keep my HR up around 140. I would think the bigger you are the easier it would be honestly
  • maryhegdal
    maryhegdal Posts: 6
    Options
    The only way I've burned over 1,000 calories is when I do a 30 mile bike ride that takes about 3hrs, traveling at 14-16mph. For me, I've found that doing spin classes burns more calories for the time that other exercise.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it's accurate, but my heart rate monitor has reported over 1000 calories in an hour quite a few times. Usually, I was doing interval training or mixtures of speed work, running hills, martial arts exercises and simple body-weight exercises and running hard between the stations. My favorite workout is a greenway in a park near my house that has lots of stations (step-ups, leg raises, sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups, dips, jumping, vaulting, monkey bars and even a ladder to climb over). I can apparently burn 1000 calories doing a few miles of that.

According to the MFP database, I would have to maintain an 8-minute mile for an hour to burn 1000, which I haven't quite done, but I have run 7 miles in under an hour, which gave me 925 in the database.

Edit: I should say that I'm not that big; "normal" by BMI, but "obese" by body fat % estimates.
  • christinastokes3
    christinastokes3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have does this a few times at the gym, according to the Arc machine I have used. It was going full out and working as hard as I could. I wouldn't want to have that type of workout everyday!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It appears that this can be done by a person who is quite heavy. I didn't take that into consideration. I also believe that for an accurate count an HRM, set to a person's own information, is needed. Going by the count on the machines at a gym wouldn't take into account your age, weight, etc. I truly would love to burn that many calories in an hour. The most I have even burned was about 475.