Shakeology

Options
What are you thoughts on the product Shakeology from Beachbody...? Has anyone used it before? What were your results, good or bad?

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I tried shakeology and hated the taste. I use idealshape which is a lot cheaper and IMHO a lot tastier. I had great results when I was drinking it for two meals a day. Now I just use it for lunch or breakfast when I know I'm going to have a high calorie dinner.
  • alars09
    alars09 Posts: 27
    Options
    I know people who prefer the Body By Vi Shakes over the Shakeology...especially taste, and that they can get it for free.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    I went to Target and got the Market Pantry Whey Protein for $19.99 for thirty servings. Way better then $120 a month. I make with one scoop of protein, 8 ounces of water, 1 banana, and 1 tablespoon honey.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I drink EVERY DAY!! Chocolate is good but my fav is tropical strawberry
    What are you thoughts on the product Shakeology from Beachbody...? Has anyone used it before? What were your results, good or bad?
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I drink EVERY DAY!! Chocolate is good but my fav is tropical strawberry

Nice plug, coach.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think it's overpriced and I think it's not necessary/ideal to use a meal-replacement type of program. That being said, I'm not aware of anything harmful or BAD about the actual product, it's just overpriced for what you get.

Whey+Multi = win.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It's alright. I like to have meal replacement powder around for days where I'm in a huge rush or feeling super lazy and not in the mood to cook. The strawberry one tastes awful, but the chocolate is good. I enjoy it but I can't say I'm a die hard fan.

The cost is not an issue for me, but since I only use it a couple times a week, I am considering buying a different product, since a lot of it goes to waste. Once you open the bag it's only good for a few weeks. The bag is pretty big and it would take me two to three months to finish it.
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    I was given a three month supply of the chocolate flavor. I really enjoyed the taste and consistency of the shakes. I'm not sure the benefits it has given me other than a quick meal replacement. Although it tastes good and I would love to keep using it is too expensive for my budget. I just ordered from Bodybuilding.com a two month supply of quality whey protein, casein protein and a multi vitamin for the same cost as a one month supply of shakeology.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love it! I was hesistant at first about it, but I'm glad I got it. I use to do the Special K shakes and they wouldn't fill me and I felt like they did nothing for me. Shakeology fills me up and I personally like the flavor (I get the Chocolate). It also makes me feel good throughout the day.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Way over priced I think. I love beach body workouts but you can get the same benefits by just buying Whey protein shake mix. I mix mine with Coconut milk because it is thick and makes it taste more like a shake. There are all kinds at Wal-mart or Target that run anywhere from 20 to 30 bucks. I have found my favorite is Jay Robb's. Because it seems to mix better than some I have tried.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I use a whey protein shake with add-ins like PB2. It works for me. Haven't used any of the shake systems because I only do shakes if I am on the go and can't eat breakfast or before/after the gym for recovery. I have, however, heard that Body by Vi shakes are delicious.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Forget what you hear from coaches and also from the people who hate product blasting here. I'm no coach, and I do hate the blasters, but I have also tried the product and have my own opinion.

- It tastes okay. It's not the best shake, but if you're used to powdered shake mixes it's pretty decent.
    - The cost is $4 per meal, plus whatever you choose to add. To some that is a lot; others, pretty reasonable.
    - It has lots of nutrients you're not going to get anywhere else but in supplement form, which begs the question: why not buy the supplements, and save some cost? You can do that, and it will save you dollars but then you won't have the Shake for lunch. So it's really a convenience issue.
    - It is annoying to have products being pimped at you on a site like this. If you were to spray paint the word "BOO" on the faces of all the pimps here at MFP, you'd be doing the world a favor. If you buy shakeology, buy it without going through the coaches here.

Finally, this stuff irritated my stomach, as do all products with protein powders, either egg or whey.
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have tried many shakes but Shakeology was way expensive! I went to GNC and got the Women's Ultra Mega powder for $9.99 (on sale) and I take it daily with a banana. I feel GREAT and I have the energy I was lacking plus, it is SUPER affordable. With everything Shakeology claims to do, The GNC product does the same thing at a fraction of the price!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    What is wrong with, erm, food?
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with food except for the mornings of trying to get kids out the door and get to work after having no sleep the night before because t-ball ran over by an hour, the kids had homework and you had a project due at work. . . . In other words, sometimes shakes are a little more convenient.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It's a sales gimmick for Beach Body to make money. Not against making money, but it Beach Body makes it sound like other supplemental shakes are inferior to their product when it's actually manufactured and produced by a 3rd party manufacturer that also makes powered supplements for many other companies.
    Don't buy into the hype. There are comparable products out there for less cost per serving. Personally I use Nitrocore 24 (in off season) with a serving cost of about $1.00 per serving compared to shakeology's $4.00 per serving.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff, I appreciate that you are recognizing that supplements are not the most horrible thing on earth. I am reading so many posts by people who say they are personal trainers and are downing any sort of shakes, but every fitness and body building magazine I have ever read makes it clear that people are not attaining those bodies (not saying no one is) w/out ever consuming a supplement.

I am starting Body by Vi not because I am stupid and think that "gimmicks" work (another thing I am reading constantly), but because I am a harried professional with kids and I'd like to do two no-brainer meals a day for a while..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with food except for the mornings of trying to get kids out the door and get to work after having no sleep the night before because t-ball ran over by an hour, the kids had homework and you had a project due at work. . . . In other words, sometimes shakes are a little more convenient.

Yup, I know that feeling.

It's been a while but I used to use the Carnation Instant Breakfast (I think they call it Breakfast Essentials now) powder with low fat milk. It was reasonably nutritious, only 200 or so calories with milk, and reasonably priced.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

Yup, I know that feeling.

It's been a while but I used to use the Carnation Instant Breakfast (I think they call it Breakfast Essentials now) powder with low fat milk. It was reasonably nutritious, only 200 or so calories with milk, and reasonably priced.

Ooh good to know. I'll check this out next time I'm at the supermarket. Thanks!
  • stephie4111
    stephie4111 Posts: 118
    Options
    Im not plugging the product even though i am a beachbody coach. everyone has their preference but i do like shakeology.