3-4 mile AM runners-do eat anything first?

13»

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    It's a matter of what works for you. I eat something regardless of distance-because I am hungry when I wake up not to "fuel" me for the run. I can't run on an empty stomach, others can't run with anything in their stomach. Try stuff out and see what works for you. If you are good not eating before your run-why start messing with something that works?
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Just figure out what works for you. Some people handle eating before without any problems and others don't, just experiment until you find the best formula for your body and workout. I usually eat a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee before an am run. I find that if I don't eat something to take the edge off my hunger I get nauseous during a workout. Anything more than that requires at least an hour to digest which I don't always have. If I want something more substantial I might have a piece of toast with pb/banana.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Supposedly if you do any form of vigorous (not moderate) exercise without a store of nutrients in your system you'll cannibalize your muscle along with the fat which is not a good thing. I don't know how much truth there is to it but it makes sense...

That doesn't make sense at all, especially since muscle tissue cannot be rebuilt once destroyed; existing muscle tissue can only expand, because fibers can be increased, but the muscle cells themselves do not undergo mitosis, so they cannot regenerate once broken down completely. It would not make sense for a body to break down cells that cannot be regenerated.

Besides, the body is smarter than that; it just used that muscle, and your body does not break down or atrophy cells unless they are not used, or you are in a severe starvation state and have no other resources long-term. So unless someone is on a severe caloric restriction for several months and running very long distances, the body will not catabolize muscle tissue that's being used, because tissue catabolization is due to chronic misuse and malnutrition, not a "Whoops, I went out on my run without food, and now my body is eating muscle" kind of thing.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    I don't hardly ever wake up hungry. Between 8-11am I have 2-3 cups of coffee with a little cream and once in a while I'll have a chobani Yogurt or a couple bites of a peanut butter Clif bar and then I run around 11 or 12.

I use to run an an absolute empty stomach because of cramps but you can train your body to get over them. Start with eating things that are solid i.e, Whole wheat toast, oatmeal, peanut butter, rice cake, et cetra. Then work your way to things like a banana, apple or a whole hearty breakfast. You just gotta get use to it, if you are hoping to run with a full belly.
    exercise.png
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    General rule is if you're not up for a few hours, and you are not working out more then 60-90 minutes you will not deplete your stores too much. Just stay hydrated. :)
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    I run first thing when I wake up in the morning (anywhere between 4:45 and 5:30am). I run anywhere between 4-6 miles (6.2 being my farthest so far) and have never had anything to eat or drink beforehand. I know that I can't drink anything because I will have to stop and pee and I figure food would have the same (or worse) effect on me. I'd just do whatever is comfortable for you :)