Thoughts on Stretching

Options
I realized that I hardly ever stretch. I usually jog around my neighborhood in the morning, and then hit the track or go to the gym with a friend at night. I rarely ever stretch unless my friend suggests it or if I feel like my muscles are a little sore the next day. Should I stretch more often?

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Yup. But physical therapist says unless you are tight you don't have to stretch as long as you might think. It's more important what you are stretching. Also, if you are running, he recommends stretching after not before, especially if you are old (like me!!). :laugh:
  • Mslaught15
    Mslaught15 Posts: 10
    Options
    I actually learned in on of my Athletic Training classes that studies have been done and show that pre-workout stretches don't actually help performance during/after exercise. After everything I'd learned up to that point, it seemed counterintuitive so I stretch anyways :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Stretching before you run reduces the ability of the tendons to return energy with each stride and will slow you down. The tendons act like springs while running and store energy when stretched and return it when they contract. Free energy - so don't give it away by stretching out the springs.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    ah thank you guys!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I realized that I hardly ever stretch. I usually jog around my neighborhood in the morning, and then hit the track or go to the gym with a friend at night. I rarely ever stretch unless my friend suggests it or if I feel like my muscles are a little sore the next day. Should I stretch more often?

The only muscles that I've read where static-stretching is beneficial prior to lifting or running would be the hip flexors and pectorals. The rest basically benefits most from dynamic stretching or even light plyometrics. Save the static stretching for post-exercise.
  • sl4ck3r980
    sl4ck3r980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just warming up by walking then increasing to a jog/run pace after a minute or two just to get your blood flowing before you start. Static stretching should wait till after you're done exercising.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, stretching isn't really shown to prevent injury, overall, especially with running, but there are benefits. Stretching helps elongate muscle fibers, and increases blood flow, which contributes to better overall muscle health. It also helps long term, especially stretching done with the hip flexors (think splits-type stretches), because it keeps the overall range of motion intact for longer, which definitely helps runners.

I don't stretch before I run, but I do afterwards. I've been in gymnastics, martial arts, and dance for most of my life, though, so stretching and keeping limber was always important, and it's mostly become a habit by now for me.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    WARM UP before you work out.
    STRETCH afterward.