HOW DO YOU CALCULATE A BUFFET? (E.G. GOLDEN CORRAL)

Options

Replies

• TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Take whatever calories I have left for the day....And multiply by 3.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I thought a certain amount of their stuff is on here in the database anyway....there's a ton of things that are put on there, if you really wanna count it up and see how much damage you did \m/
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've gone to Golden Corral for dinner a few times since starting all of this. I believe I could eat pretty well and keep it around 1,000 or a little over. Just make sure to get in a good workout that day, and maybe eat a little less than you normally would earlier in the day. As long as you're not doing it often, I don't see anything wrong with it. I love Golden Corral! Just try to keep mental track of each item that you have and estimate the amount the best you can. Most Golden Corral items are in the data base.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Why even try to log it? Just consider the day lost, and keep on keeping on the next day.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    T
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you want to go you will have to do a heavy duty workout that day burning 1000 calories or more
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Buffets are hard. It is probably best to avoid but let's face it, none of us are probably never going to visit a buffet ever again. I have gone and still lost weight but keep in mind a few basic tricks:

Drink lots and lots and then more water ( not only will it help you feel more full but it will help with flushing out the sodium content )
    Start with a broth based soup ( might be high in sodium but helps fill you up)
    If you dont like soup reach for the salad first ( not the mayo based kind) and watch the dressing ( balsamic or raspberry are better options)
    Avoid anything that looks fried or is covered in rich sauces
    I try to stick with veggie and meat based dishes and avoid the pasta, rice or potato ones.
    Of course dessert is going to be there. Have what you want but have the smallest piece that will satify your craving and then move on

This is about lifestyle changes not deprivation but if you think you will not be able to control yourself , you might want to avoid. If you do , just eat clean the rest of the week and get in a few extra workouts.
    For tracking, just do the Add calorie option ( I track about 1500 for a buffet meal) or dont track that day.
    Dont beat yourself up

This is very reasonable advice!
  • Elmorlan
    Elmorlan Posts: 37
    Options
    I went to a buffet for lunch today. I ate only things that I would normally eat at home. I had salad with chicken and a dressing that I already knew the information. Then I put it in my phone immediately. Then I had a piece of baked chicken and some meatballs that I could have done without, but all in all, not so bad. My main nutritional concern is my protein though, so that makes it a bit easier for me.
  • LilMsRobbinHood
    LilMsRobbinHood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.goldencorral.com/menu/

I found this on the website - this gives you a general rule of thumb of what Golden Corral is like. You can use that as a guideline for Chinese buffet too, they have some overlapping items
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If I go I normally only stick to the protein, mostly chicken and not eat the skin stay away from the fried chicken, baked is good. You can always do a veggie plate or a good salad watching the salad dressing of course. I don't do any carbs and no deserts either.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    When we go, I take a pen with me, use the paper placemat on the table and write down everything I eat. I eat a lot of the veggies, so usually stay within a good calorie goal.
  • weightlossguy01
    Options
    I keep track of what I eat and log it best I can. On April 9th I went to Golden Corral and it looks like it set me back about 2390.

According to livestrong, the TACO BUENO WHOLE LOTTA PLATTER is 2,698 calories. I would think a trip to a buffet would be much much much worse. That platter comes with no dessert and no drink!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would just try my best to estimate based on what I ate.
  • lsorensen130
    lsorensen130 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM THE BUFFET
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ummm I'd say you don't go there!!!! If you do stick to salad bar, light dressing, fruit, and that's about it. So what's the point? Except to feel awful after eating all that crap.
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    You can eat semi healthy at a buffet believe it or not, skip the breads and fried foods fill up on salads veggies and grilled chicken or fish and have fruit instead of desserts. Its fine to go once in a blue moon most people dont eat at buffets every day.. or even more than once a month..
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Golden Corral, but I'm assuming they have vegetables and meat. Steamed veggies and meat are easy to calculate. If you're going with the intention of eating unhealthy food, then just admit that you'll probably gain a pound and enjoy it while you're there.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    at least 1,000 calories per plate
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I keep track of what I eat and log it best I can.

That ^
    But I rarely go to buffets... Never did much. We have gone to cici's pizza a couple of times and I just had a couple of salads, and a few slices of pizza, and a brownie! lol. it was under 1000 calories for sure.

you could easily eat 5000 calories at a buffet, or you could eat around 500. depends on what you get and how much.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    SOLUTION: DON'T go to the buffet...
    no calculations needed
    comprende?