Advice and profile pics

Options

Replies

• DeeKay2169
    DeeKay2169 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do.. If you look like a tool you will not be accepted and if you are nothing but Skin/bones and you talk about how you need to lose 5+ lbs you will NOT be accepted. LOL
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Depends on if they have pie.

This.

Honestly, it depends on the topic. If I'm asking a question about getting that "V", then obviously I'm gonna pay more attention to the person who has one.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Depends on if they have pie.
    Well played.

I consider any advice that sounds reasonable, even if the profile picture is of a cat... even if the cat is clearly obese. And then I do my own research. A lot of the time I'm more interested in others' personal experiences, anyway.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I generally take all advice with a grain of salt until I can cross reference it somewhere reliable.

I admit that I have worried about whether or not someone would accept a friend request from me though, based on my profile picture and considering that I've got a long way to go to be where I want to be, so I haven't sent many requests.

All encouragement is good though, so based on the info in this thread, maybe I should just give it a try more often. :smile:
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I listen to any and all advice good and bad. However I am smart enough to weed out the BS and only take the advice I want. This usually pisses ppl off because they told me what to do but I still did my own thing.

So I like to hear your idea but I usually have my answer. That's not top say though if I think yor answer is better than mine. Then I will do that.

Case in point I get tired quick at the gym by burning out on one muscle. A guy told me ok so do super sets (one set/muscle followed by a different type of exercise/muscle) and repeat so by the time I tire out i will have been through all the muscle groups I planned on hitting that day. This guy was Big and built.

On the other hand I guy told me to add more weight to my weaker side for a few weeks, but he is old and fat. I don't really like that idea and have better solutions in my head.

I still listened to all of it!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses!

And no I don't mean "would you accept or reject them as a friend?", I'm only asking if a person's body has an effect on whether or not you'd take fitness/nutrition advice from them.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i definitely place advice from people who are in shape above people who are out of shape.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I will not reject a person for being too big. But i do reject a lot of people who are reallly skinny. I dont want to not support them, but I find its easier to have "friends" that are on the same journey.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not too strict about it, but I prefer to take advice mostly from successful people, since they have gone probably through failure, but they got the experience to change their body. I like to use the common sense in this case, which means that I will not take every word for true unless I do research myself about it.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    I listen to everyones advice regardless of body type... It doesn't mean ill be implementing each one, but its good to know others perspective on things.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    No....Do You?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Be honest...

Do you (even just internally) accept or reject someone's advice based on the person's body in their profile picture?

Are you less likely to take advice from someone who looks like they are struggling with their weight?

Not at all, everyone is shaped differently and in different stages in their progress, I myself was in horrible shape when I started and I like to think I had sound advice that people wanted to hear. I believe the same is true of other people.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Be honest...

Do you (even just internally) accept or reject someone's advice based on the person's body in their profile picture?

Are you less likely to take advice from someone who looks like they are struggling with their weight?

No, you be honest, is this something you do?
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I saw yes to everyone and i add people based on pics, stories, progress, forum post etc
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Nope. Success is success. Anyone who is willing to share what worked for them is generous. Nothing works for everyone, but before I take any advice I research the hell out of it.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Nope! We all started somewhere! Some are further along in their journey...others need more motivation. Just because Im not at my goal weight, doesnt mean I dont have advice to give to someone else that may just beginning. Make sense?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no, because what a person looks like is no reflection of their knowledgebase....

(but then, i dont judge based on appearances anyways. well, if you look like a dumbass i probably wont listen to you, but that has nothing to do with weight and is near impossible to tell by a photo ANYWAYS LMAO!)

i only have one friend (im new 'round these parts) but ive learned a lot just by reading and cross referencing.... i think most people have something to offer.....
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    no I dont, for me all depends on the attitude, if the person is nice to me, I dont care about his/her looks.

other way, if she/he is a complete *kitten*, I just ignore and move on!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I ignore everyone anyway, so it makes no never mind lol
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    no.