Cycling question

Options
Just recently got a new bicycle. I have no hills in my area, so don't get the benefit of hill work. But I always keep my bike in the highest (hardest) gear, and average 11 mph. Do you think the exercise option "Bicycling, 10-12 mph" is a fair way for me to track my calories, or am I not giving myself enough credit since I'm in a hard gear? Appreciate your input!

Replies

• Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    Nope, that would be the right one.
    I ride in my middle high range at over 20 mph, and I do not discount it because I am in an easier gear.
    one thing to aim for is "spinning at about 60 rpm or better, if you are less than one revolution of the pedals per second you may be robbing yourself of the cardio workout.

don't be afraid to use all your gears, they are there for a reason.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    I would half what ever you do on here

i would go up the hills by me for hours and that setting gave me about 4000 cals burnt, remember i was getting my avrg speed and a lot of it was hard hill climbing and i was lucky to burn 2000 cals all togther.
    as per my hrm which was set to a slightly lower weight to correct for the slight overestimation
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's better cardio to spin fast rather than to spin hard. I think you'll find that finding a gear you can average 18-20mph in will be a much better workout.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Being in the highest gear while only going 11 mph seems a bit odd to me. If you want to truly get a calorie-burning workout in, you will need to increase your speed to increase your heart rate. Better yet, use your bike for interval training. The "right" gear is actually the one that is easiest for the speed you are traveling.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If I could only have one metric on my bike it would be a cadence sensor...at least this was the case for the first year or so that I was riding. Mashing the pedals in the hardest gear is a good recipe for knee injury. You have gears for a reason--to pedal in the best gear for conditions, not the hardest gear you can possibly push. You'll be able to ride much further for a longer duration (which burns a ton more calories than gutting it out for a shorter distance) at 70-90+rpm. My personal sweet spot is 85-95rpm. Much lower than that and my knees start talking and my pace drops.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Nope, that would be the right one.
    I ride in my middle high range at over 20 mph, and I do not discount it because I am in an easier gear.
    one thing to aim for is "spinning at about 60 rpm or better, if you are less than one revolution of the pedals per second you may be robbing yourself of the cardio workout.

don't be afraid to use all your gears, they are there for a reason.
    I agree with what this guy said.