Mouse Traps! What worked for you?

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
I lived in an apartment a couple years back that was infested with mice. I did all I could but I couldnt get rid of them.

I've since moved twice and not had a problem. However, I was just sitting on my couch and saw one make a mad dash behind the stove. I WILL win this time. Especially since I have a baby in the house.

So, tell me: What worked for you? I want it to be effective and hopefully quick to get em all because they scare the crap out of me.

Replies

• cspong
    Options
    bump :)
  • cspong
    Options
    Bump?

:(
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Just a simple mouse trap.
    No need to get fancy.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sticky trap! We tried the snap traps and the ones that are supposed to close when they enter, but the little critters would eat the peanut butter and walk out free to torment us.
  • Quarrysider
    Quarrysider Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We have an annual mouse invasion every October, and we use plastic mouse traps that look a bit like a set of joke false teeth, baited with chocolate. We have used various wooden, metal and plastic 'standard-style' traps, and one or two 'humane' live-catch types, but find the false teeth to be most effective for instant kill rather than having to kill a badly injured, trapped mouse the next day, which makes me feel like a cruel <expletive deleted>.
    (for an example, see http://www.toolbank.com/p/STV140, but ours have 'teeth' along the edge)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    sticky traps did NOT work for me, neither did the re-useable snap traps.

I grabbed the outside cat and put him in the garage for a few days, no more mouse.

You will have to clean out the kitchen, clean the cupboards, see if he has gotten into any of the pasta, cereal, bread, crackers etc, and then pull out the oven/stove and clean behind that.

Have you contacted the landlord? If you are in an apartment, I think they are responsible for the removal of the mice.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    electronic mouse repellers. at least one for each room.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    A cat.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It helps if you can find where they are entering from. Usually its with the pipes under the sink. Find the hole and plug it up. When we live in an older home we would use steel wool. They will not chew through that.
    We had the basic traps but baited them with marshsmallows. Buggers couldnt resist the stuff. PB and bacon grease also works well.
    Good luck!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Best mousetrap I have:

ssmd.jpg

JM
  • Lup120
    Lup120 Posts: 31
    Options
    It helps if you can find where they are entering from. Usually its with the pipes under the sink. Find the hole and plug it up. When we live in an older home we would use steel wool. They will not chew through that.
    We had the basic traps but baited them with marshsmallows. Buggers couldnt resist the stuff. PB and bacon grease also works well.
    Good luck!

This ^
    I work for a condo management company and you really need to find out how they are getting into your apartment from the building and plug up the holes a cheap way to do it is steel wool if the holes aren't too big. Look in cabinets especially behind/underneath dishwashers, stoves, refrigerator, radiators, pipes that come up through floors and back of closets.

You also have to cut off their food supply. Don't leave food out especially over night. So put your bread, fruit, veggies in plastic containers and be meticulous about cleaning up crumbs, make sure your trash and recycling are completely secure and sealed so that the mice can't get into them. Also if you have noticed they have gotten into your pantry or cabinets you should invest in plastic containers for all your food that is in there especially for boxed things like cereal and crackers and cookies, rice, dry beans.

You can try traps I have had mice before in places I have lived but I have never actually caught any. I have used the sticky traps, snap traps, and the live capture ones where they can enter but can't escape. If you do try these they should be places along walls and under the stove, fridge, dishwasher. Any known routes you've seen them take.

Also call your management company/landlord and let them know. Others in your building may be experiencing this as well and they should want to know which units are experiencing this issue. So if it's a building-wide issue then the can work on sealing the outside access points for the mice.
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We had one over the winter one year and it kept getting in the cupboard where the dog food was and chewing through the bag. So, we put the food in a plastic container and tied (with a piece of string) a piece of dog food on a basic/cheap mouse trap. Got him that night! Sometimes they can get the food off without setting the trap off, but by tying it on, it makes them work harder/longer and then they get caught :happy:
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bucket of water 1/4th filled, a ramp going to the top, and some peanut butter suspended in the middle.