Just checking - focus and set spacing

Options
So, I love lifting things but I'm having terrible focus problems. The only exercise I can do right now without "spacing out" is walking and running 'cause it's constant progression forward.
Anyway, I was wondering if, say, following a routine like Stronglift 5x5 or the nerdfitness beginner routine...does it have any effect on efficiency if I'd space the exercises out during the day? SO that I at least get the whole program done until my brain starts doing what it's told. I know it's no problem to do a little cardio here and there.
Squats in the morning, deadlifts in the evening and bench press at suppertime? (virtual cookie for reference catch!) It doesn't have to be that wide apart but say 30 mins and hour in between? I'm home during the day and lift at home atm so I have that luxury. Now logically, I wouldn't think it should matter, but I've been wrong before! :)

Replies

• DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Interesting question. No substantive evidence, just purely anecdotal, but I think that you would get a bit less out of the workout as you prescribe.

One point to remember though. As the weights get heavier, you'd be surprised by how focused you get. Try sticking your body weight on your back and then squat. That gives you great focus!

Good luck!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So, I love lifting things but I'm having terrible focus problems. The only exercise I can do right now without "spacing out" is walking and running 'cause it's constant progression forward.
    Anyway, I was wondering if, say, following a routine like Stronglift 5x5 or the nerdfitness beginner routine...does it have any effect on efficiency if I'd space the exercises out during the day? SO that I at least get the whole program done until my brain starts doing what it's told. I know it's no problem to do a little cardio here and there.
    Squats in the morning, deadlifts in the evening and bench press at suppertime? (virtual cookie for reference catch!) It doesn't have to be that wide apart but say 30 mins and hour in between? I'm home during the day and lift at home atm so I have that luxury. Now logically, I wouldn't think it should matter, but I've been wrong before! :)

You could lift twice a day but typically your workouts will compliment each other. One way I saw this was doing some kind of dynamic/speed work or low rep plyometric work and then in the evening you do your heavier lifting.

Honestly go grab Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 and go with that for now until you get over your training A.D.D and find your groove. :) If you're just starting multiple lifting sessions in the same day is unnecessary.
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I have been doing stronglifts, so I'll stick with that. I've just done say all the squatting and half the bench for example, before wandering on :P
    Perhaps I should try to get a friend or the kids to work out with me and drag me back to the weights.
    And yes, I do have ADD heh. For some reason it's been particularly bad for a while.

And yes, DaveRCF, that's true! I did do weight lifting some years ago and found that as I tried to stick to it, after a while as it gets heavier it too gets me in to the "zone" like walking or running does. Thank you for reminding me. ^^

Thanks again! Much appreciated with answers.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Add Drop Sets, Gaint Sets, Rest/Pause, Negitives, and so on...

Look into DC Training or FST-7. I do a combo of these.

Also Pre-Workout Supplements help me... I like White Flood
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    You should try some mediatation type exercises,

Just relax and try to hold a single image or thought or even flex a single muscle over and over.
    You can train your brain to focus more if you do this a few times everyday
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPod or anything to listen to? Something to crank up to block out others around you and help to focus?
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPod or anything to listen to? Something to crank up to block out others around you and help to focus?

Hm, that's a good idea! It works when running, so why not at home. I think I'll give that a try with Physics of the impossible. Thanks!