1/2 Marathon Training - Calories

Options
Hi everyone! I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon that takes place in October. So far I'm running 3-4x a week (8-9 miles long run on weekend with 2x 5 mile runs during the week) and taking a hardcore circuit training class 1-2 a week. PLUS walking my dog around 20 miles a week. Question is, this site tells me I can add 600 or so calories on the days that a work out. However, I was doing that in the past and I didn't lose ANY weight. I was told by my Endocronologist (I have hypothyroidism, too) that I should be eating 1400 calories a day.

Anyone else out there training like this and what is your caloric intake?

Also I would love to meet people that are running their first 1/2 marathon or training for triathalon.

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Before I ran my marathon I tried to eat more on long run days. I went to a nutritionist once and she actually told me to drink carb drinks, I didn't do this but I did eat more carbs on those days and just more calories in general. You should be eating more when putting in so many miles, just try to find a good balance. I'd say aim for at least 2000 on the really long run days. You are also doing other things than running so its important to refuel. I mainly would just see how I felt and if I was more hungry than normal I would eat more... good luck!!!

~Leash :heart:
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    Hey there,
    I have ran for a few years now..but am doing a half marathon about that time..and am very active much like you!
    Do you own a heart rate monitor, GARMIN, body bugg?? Those are the most accurate ways to tell how many calories you are burning in a day. Then you know how much to take in to lose weight, maintain, etc. So if you burn 2500...you can eat 2000 a day to lose 1lb a week. Make sense? Also ..the more muscle on your body the more calories your'll burn too..so don't forget strength!
    If you want more details..contact me and we'll keep in touch! I am also on facebook (Casey Fett)...I always like another runner buddy!
    Casey
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid too. I noticed if I stay between 1200 and 1400 net calories a day I lose weight. I'm wondering if your endo doc expects you to only eat 1400 cals. without extra exercise. I would think even with hypo you would need more cals on days that you run a lot.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon that takes place in October. So far I'm running 3-4x a week (8-9 miles long run on weekend with 2x 5 mile runs during the week) and taking a hardcore circuit training class 1-2 a week. PLUS walking my dog around 20 miles a week. Question is, this site tells me I can add 600 or so calories on the days that a work out. However, I was doing that in the past and I didn't lose ANY weight. I was told by my Endocronologist (I have hypothyroidism, too) that I should be eating 1400 calories a day.

Anyone else out there training like this and what is your caloric intake?

Also I would love to meet people that are running their first 1/2 marathon or training for triathalon.

I ran 2. One last year, and then again this year. Let me tell you, It was very hot this year when I ran it-had a dissappointing time...but wore my HRM and my HR was at 80-90% almost the whole time. Needless to say with 85 degree weather, there was a lot of walking and I burned 2900 cals! I drank lots and had some energy gel, but I hadn't trained either (due to injury). Lots of people were dropping, and 1 guy actually died 100 yards from the finish line. Anyway my plan is to train next year, and you sound like you're doing great. (I don't even like running, I just like the Marathon hype). Good luck and remember to drink lots! Let me know how you do. Kath :drinker:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Wow - you do an amazing amount of movement. I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but good luck with your marathon. :flowerforyou: