Question about Subway Subs

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
Uhhhhhh......... :indifferent: On Subway's website, under nutritional information, under sandwiches... does that include the bread? Because if you look at the values of the bread alone, they are a couple hundred calories, so that would mean the meat and stuff is only about 100 calories??

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I always assumed the sandwich calories included everything. Then again, I don't eat there often, the sodium is off the charts!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The way I've always seen it is that certain breads are included in the calories, and only certain veggies. So my veggie delite sandwhich numbers include white or wheat bread, lettuce, tomato, onion, green peppers, and maybe one other veggie.

I would guess that the sandwhich numbers include bread, but only a few vegetables, the meat, and nothing else.
  • proctor0828
    proctor0828 Posts: 179
    Options
    I would imagine it would be including the bread... The sandwhiches I usually get end up being about 1000 calories... yikes
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure, about 90% sure, that it includes whole wheat bread. I'll double check and be back.
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    o.k. at the bottom of the page on Subways website it says:

***Subs with 6 grams of fat or less include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and green peppers. All other sandwich values include cheese unless otherwise noted.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The sandwich calories include white or wheat bread only, the meat and the veggie toppings only if you add cheese, mayo or any other kind dressing it drastically changes the fat and calories.

My sandwich choice is always a 6'inch turkey no cheese with lots of spinach, tomatoes, onion, green peppers, black olives and a few jalapenos... I always get a very small squirt of oil and vinegar (no Mayo) and 1 line of yellow or spicy mustard... it's delicious and it's only 290 calories.

If you add cheese it's like 75 - 100 additional calories on a 6 inch depending on the cheese.
    If you add mayo even the subay lite mayo it's around 70 additional calories on a 6'inch depending on how much they put on.

Hope that helps.

242545.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I always assumed the sandwich calories included everything. Then again, I don't eat there often, the sodium is off the charts!

I KNOW! I hate that!! I was looking at their site and they have a link that shows you what to pick if you are looking for low fat, low calorie, or low sodium. The best they could do was the roast beef wtih like 810 mg sodium. I watch my sodium pretty closely, and I stay away from Subway for the most part. But, we need a quick out-and-about dinner tonight so I figured this would be a "better" choice. Is there any restaurant you can eat at that won't overload you with sodium?

(I don't want salad... I have 550 calories left for dinner)
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    o.k. at the bottom of the page on Subways website it says:

***Subs with 6 grams of fat or less include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and green peppers. All other sandwich values include cheese unless otherwise noted.

Ahh, I didn't see that. Thank you!
  • estherguas
    Options
    You should try pollo tropical for dinner.

The chicken tropichop with yellow rice and veggies is only 350 calories and very little fat.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    You should try pollo tropical for dinner.

The chicken tropichop with yellow rice and veggies is only 350 calories and very little fat.

Is that a restaurant?? :laugh: Here in Mount Vernon, Ohio, we got McDonald's, Subway, Taco Hell, couple Chinese Buffets, Little Ceasars...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    sodium's always going to be an issue when eating out at fast food type places (even subway). Especially any place that uses deli meats. Best you can do is try your best. I haven't seen many chains around that have low sodium alternatives (then again, I very rarely eat fast food so...)
  • estherguas
    Options
    Yea it's a chain of restaurants that sell cuban//puertorican Latin food and for being considered a fast food chain they have a lot of filling options with low calories at a pretty inexpensive price... It beats trying to get something to eat out thats cheap and yummy and wont kill your diet at a burger joint...It's a shame they dont have them up there.
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    I love how Subway restaurants have their nutrition facts on the napkins! I always take one home with me.:laugh:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Uhhhhhh......... :indifferent: On Subway's website, under nutritional information, under sandwiches... does that include the bread? Because if you look at the values of the bread alone, they are a couple hundred calories, so that would mean the meat and stuff is only about 100 calories??

yep.. that includes the bread. I don't know if you buy lunchmeat at home but generally they are not high on the calories... they are just killer on sodium.
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    to CUT the sodium with adding cheese :heart: :heart: :heart: try adding SWISS instead of American.....its got lotttsss less sodium. found that one out the other day and it cuts the already sodium packed sandwich down a bit :tongue:
  • futuremrsjonstafford
    futuremrsjonstafford Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to work at subway, and yes, the calories include the bread, however, it does not include cheese or certain vegetables. next time you go to subway, ask for a nutritional booklet, in it, it lists all of the specific vegetables that are included in each sub, the condiments are also not included. and FYI, the meatball sub footlong is about 1,000 calories, stay away from that one!