How other people see you....

kbd388
kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
Hi, I started my weight loss in February and have lost 21 pounds so far. Of course that number hasn't changed in a month but I'm working on it! I've really been struggling with figuring out my calorie goal but that is a whole other topic.

So many people around me say I look so good, or look so different. But to me, I look exactly the same. The only real difference I can see is my pants or skirts fall off when I walk LOL!!

At what point in your weight journey do you really start to realize you are looking different? I have been overweight (actually obese) for so long it just kind of seemed to be who I am. I'm otherwise very happy, confident and don't really have any complaints! I tell everyone I know about MFP and my diet, so sometimes I wonder if they say they can see it just because they know this new lifestyle I am trying to achieve.

I'm 5'8" and feel most comfortable in the 170's so I have at least 30 more pounds to go.

I'd also love some friends to help me along the way so please add me if you'd like and send me a note if you can.

Replies

• kbd388
    oh and one more thing, that profile picture of me, is the only skinny looking face picture I have, and I don't really know why it came out that way but I love it. In other pictures my face looks much chubbier!
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    I lost 100 lbs and still saw a fat girl in the mirror. I gained 25 back and now when I look at my pictures I cannot believe how amazing I looked! I vowed when I lose this 25 I will remember how ridiculous I was being and just be proud of my hard work.

You're doing great! Store every compliment in your memory bank and withdraw them every time you feel negative thoughts creeping in.
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    I sort-of have the same feelings and appreciate peoples positive comments. But it looks like you've lost almost 10% and that's quite an achievement. I'd go with that and watch out for those pants falling down : )
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I didn't start noticing myself until about 20 lbs in ... it depends on how much weight you have to lose, though. I started with 40 (am at about 35ish now, haha)
  • Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    I've gained a lot of self-confidence, but I generally see the same person in the mirror. I think what I've gained is just a new way to look at myself. I've lost about 55 pounds, so there's actually a complete change, but I don't see it. I think I look the same, just prettier... ha ha. If that makes any sense at all.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    I'm the same way. I've lost about 23 lbs, and I see myself not much different than I was before. I know there has been a difference because I fit into much smaller clothes and my measurements are smaller, but when I look in the mirror I don't see a huge difference....I'm hoping my brain catches up to my body soon....
  • i have a friend who tells me every time he comes over how thin we (my roommate and i) look & how much we have trimmed down however i refuse to get on the scale because i see or feel no change. it's a real let down and makes it hard to stay motivated. i started in feb (ish) also & feel i should have reached my goal already. i'd love to be your friend so we can remind each other how silly we sound hee hee.
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    You know what's funny? I've thought about this a lot. I think we are far more apt to "see" what we feel. So say you're in the best shape of your life and you're shredded-fitness model-cover of a magazine in shape and you ate a greasy burrito, you're going to feel like a cow... and when you look in the mirror you're going to see that cow.

Your friends/outsiders see you and think DAMN! you look good! But you can't see it, you can only see that cheesy, greasy monstrosity that is swimming laps in your gullet.

At the same time, if I work out all week, i might lose two pounds but i'll be like "DAMN! I look GOOD!" when in reality i look exactly the same as I looked when i ate that burrito... it's just that I feel great and energized.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    The first time it really "hit me" that I looked quite different was when I was accused of using someone else's ID at Costco, 'cause I didn't look like the picture.

Since then, the experience of meeting up with people whom you've not seen in a while - and them not even recognizing you - is a pretty good reminder that you look different.
  • Stephie_lee
    Stephie_lee Posts: 22
    I always wonder if what I see in the mirror is how other people really see me, since you can't really take your head off and get a good look at your body. I'll ask my sister or friends what size their pants are so i can figure out if that's what I look like if it's the same size I wear. It's a wierd obsession, and like my mom always said, 'worry about yourself'.
    I guess if you've always been on the chunky side it's hard to accept/believe comments when other people tell you that you look good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    PersonalTrainer-1.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I only see changes when I see photos.

I'm convinced that what I see in the mirror is what I expect to see. It's my self-perception, not reality. Which is why I have "fat" days and "skinny" days that are back to back. In a bad mood? Feel like poop? I think I look like poop. In a great mood? I feel pretty, oh so pretty! And that hasn't changed from before I lost weight.

Edited to add: That's why I take a lot of photos. :laugh: It's helping my brain adjust.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    I still feel fat. Well, Im still kinda fat that is why! But I dont see changes unless I look at photos. The mirror lies to my eyes then my eyes lie to my brain. Hopefully it will stop one day.
  • I think that no matter where you are in the journey, you have to reset your mind. You have to give yourself a new perspective on the parts of you that are changing. Try to notice the small things first (e.g., my rings aren't as tight on my fingers, my pants don't dig in as much, etc.), and you'll start to notice the bigger things....try noticing at least one new thing that is different each day, and that should help you re-train your thoughts.
  • kbd388
    The first time it really "hit me" that I looked quite different was when I was accused of using someone else's ID at Costco, 'cause I didn't look like the picture.

I love this!!!!

Thanks for all your replies and for keeping it fun and making me giggle. lisab0319 the rings on the finger - yes! Mine move all around now. I actually have a ring from my grandmother that I haven't been able to wear for a long time and I have said I know I've really reached my goal when that ring fits on my finger again.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    I agree with Lorinalynn...i only see the difference in pictures...when i look in the mirror i look pretty much the same...some days i feel/look better than others....but when i see a picture i can see the difference...i def recommend taking pictures!!!
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    @ajporter007: So true! Well said!
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143

Since then, the experience of meeting up with people whom you've not seen in a while - and them not even recognizing you - is a pretty good reminder that you look different.

Very very cool! Congrats on your success!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member

Very true! This past weekend I ran into an old friend that I hand't seen in about 2 years or so and he didn't recognize me and actually still didn't i had to explain who I was mind you I had known this friend for about 2 years prior to not seeing him, Great reminder that I have changed but kinda crazy that it has been enough for people whom Ive known to just pass me, of and btw i have been carded and questioned about my ID! :) I kinda want to keep my old ID :wink:
  • BobbyDAGLEY
    BobbyDAGLEY Posts: 300
    just like what one of the other people said, I only see the difference when I look at pics of myself, I don't feel any different at a reduced weight.