Healthy living in the deep south

Options

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    1. Georgia is gorgeous....but humid as hell
    2. Not everyone there is over-weight
    3. you do so by making the choices on what you want to eat.

Out west, here, we have the same demons as in the south...its all about what you choose to do
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
  • Misbehavin_Red
    Options

Out west, here, we have the same demons as in the south...its all about what you choose to do

I'm with him! It's all about the choices....no matter where you are....
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

I honestly agree about the choices you make in what you eat. I have lived in several states, Now living in Mississippi
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Well, bless your little heart! If you're moving in 93 days, you really have nothing to worry about, do you?:laugh:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I do not see how the obesity of others, (even your entire state) impacts you.

Do or do not, it's your choice.
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Options
    93 days and GA will be a happier place then?

Do you... Do not worry about the rest!
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    It does come down to choice. I used to live in Oklahoma and moved up to Oregon a few years ago. My sister once asked me if I would have been as agressive with my "healthy living/weight loss" if I was still living in the south. I told her that I probably wouldn't. It was just too dang hot to do much of anything on top of being severely obese. It's just so much easier to drive up to a fast food place than have to cook in a sweltering kitchen! :grumble: But I'd like to think that if I had the resolve I have now, I would have found ways around it. But I totally understand what you mean.
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Unlike everyone else i do feel your pain i live in alabama even though yes we have choices it still freaking hard as hell!! everytime i turn around im being invited to a heart attack fried food festivity and it gripes my soul to go!! but in the south if you dont go to a family dinner your snobby or to busy for your family! i love my granny with more than i have but going to her house is what help put this weight on me!! now when i go i dread to see what she has cooked! so yes i feel your pain and i have done my best in the situations i have been put in
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I live in GA and I don't feel that way at all. Most of my friends work out regularly, the Silver Comet Trail is right down the street and is hopping with people running, biking and walking, and the gym I go to is packed. I
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options

I honestly agree about the choices you make in what you eat. I have lived in several states, Now living in Mississippi

This. I grew up in Mississippi and adored it. I moved away...gained weight...went back and got to my goal weight. It's all about YOUR choices...not your location.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I live in Alabama. Lots fatties here as well, but it helps tht my close friend is in this w/ me & my hubby is also in shape. Honestly, they're goin to b fat ppl everywhere u go. This is America, LAND OF THE FAT!
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I currently live in the fattest city in the country and it really doesn't affect me. If friends want to socialize by going out to eat or to a bar, then I plan by making sure I have enough calories left for a higher count meal or a couple of drinks. Most places you go to have lighter options. If you still want to socialize at these places with your friends then eat before and just have ice water while you're there. I agree with the other posters, just because you are out with people who are making poor food and drink choice doesn't mean you have to.
  • AmyVC123
    AmyVC123 Posts: 13
    Options
    US75 runs you right to the Canadian border - far enough North for you?

If you don't like it so much, then why stay another second, let alone months?

Lifestyle is a choice - are all your other choices so heavily influenced by the "entire" population of Georgia?

I pray you find peace, happiness, and the backbone to make healthy choices even when surrounded by a bunch of fat, fried-food eatin' southern belles sunnin' themselves on the beach drinkin' beer and rubbin' sunscreen on their fat southern gentlemen!!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    As embarrassed as I am to be from NC sometimes, I don't think there is a definitive Southern lifestyle that involves just laying around. I prefer it in the great PNW, but you do have lovely mountains in GA too, and you can actually enjoy pools in May (it's 60 and rainy here today). Take advantage of it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    :smile:

I think it's hilarious when a post doesn't go the way the OP intended.

Hey, OP, were we all supposed to back you up and say how hard and sad it is for you in Georgia? That's ridiculous. It's hard for all of us no matter where we live because we all have family, friends, commitments, obligations, no time, little money and everyone else that wants a piece. Not to mention dinners out, pot lucks, school functions, business lunches and break-room cupcakes. Or in my case, an entire bakery. So, what?
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I moved to FL from New York City and I immediately noticed that. It killed me to see these people eat and watch U-verse all day. The worst part is that I have seen people eating while lying down. Grocery shopping i worse, their carts are filled with frozen dinners and purple drink. My family made fun of my food choices but I don't have a million health problems. But I never say a word. You can't change those around you, you can only change yourself.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I guess OP's original post was edited and deleted the text? I understand what's going on, though. I lived in GA for almost eight years and loved it...moved to Mississippi in 2008 and you know what, I love it here, too. I have chickens, grow vegetables and embrace the slower pace of life. This may not be true in all areas of the state, but I live in a rural community and love it. I can appreciate everyone around me, no matter if they love fried chicken or not. I struggled with my weight when I lived in Texas, Italy, Korea, Georgia AND Mississippi. It's truly not where you are, but how you are living.