Question about protein

meikathadiva
meikathadiva Posts: 16
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Since I've joined I always eat more grams of protein than mfp suggest. It says I should eat 45grams but I always go over. I never go over on calories, carbs, or fat. Is this a problem? Should I eat less protein? Will this affect my weight loss? I am not sure.

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    No MFP has protein grams set a little to low anyway its cool, Your body needs protein especially when you work out and stuff alot so you should be good I always go over on protein:flowerforyou:
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    I am in the same boat!! It's hard to get all fat, calories and carbs in while I watch out for sodium, cholesterol and going over proteins.
    I'm still working on that myself. I'm trying for clean eating all the way, that may help but I'm a work in progress.:laugh:
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Since I've joined I always eat more grams of protein than mfp suggest. It says I should eat 45grams but I always go over. I never go over on calories, carbs, or fat. Is this a problem? Should I eat less protein? Will this affect my weight loss? I am not sure.

Right, like Shanta already told you, MFP tends to go alittle low on their protein allowance. I've been over almost daily in the year plus that I've been here, and I still managed to lose most of the weight that I wanted to. :smile:
    I DID however just read a thread this morning though that said WAY too much protein can cause weight gain, so, you might not want to be WAY over on it. (I'm usually anywhere from 10 to 25 or so grams over a day.)
  • sibetsimo
    sibetsimo Posts: 39
    How many grams of protein should you be consuming at a 1200 cal limit, if anyone knows? And how many grams is everyone eating? Just curious!:flowerforyou:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member

Right, like Shanta already told you, MFP tends to go alittle low on their protein allowance. I've been over almost daily in the year plus that I've been here, and I still managed to lose most of the weight that I wanted to. :smile:
    I DID however just read a thread this morning though that said WAY too much protein can cause weight gain, so, you might not want to be WAY over on it. (I'm usually anywhere from 10 to 25 or so grams over a day.)

Yea she right to Im not extremely over but I do go over and Ive manage to loose weight to...
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    I had to adjusted my protein to 1gram per pound of body weight.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    How many grams of protein should you be consuming at a 1200 cal limit, if anyone knows? And how many grams is everyone eating? Just curious!:flowerforyou:

It depends on your goals and how active you are. Usually the more active the more protein. I lift weights and exercise 6 days a week and try to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of weight. Now this is usually less for females and also less for less activity. So it really depends...but going over is not an issue your fats, sodium, sugar and all of that is still close to the recommended amounts.
  • Thanks you guys, that helped a lot.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    I go over on protein and under on fats every day, and I'm doing fine. I agree, I think MFP lowballs the protein a little.

How far off are you? A couple grams - or 3X?
  • I go over on protein and under on fats every day, and I'm doing fine. I agree, I think MFP lowballs the protein a little.

I usually go over 10-15 grams a day. However today, I went over by 40 grams, I like to eat egg whites and grilled chicken breast a lot which contains a lot of protein. I don't eat things like rice, so I eat more vegetables like broccoli and this causes me to go over but I am still only at 850 calories for today but I am so over in protein.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    I go over on protein and under on fats every day, and I'm doing fine. I agree, I think MFP lowballs the protein a little.

I usually go over 10-15 grams a day. However today, I went over by 40 grams, I like to eat egg whites and grilled chicken breast a lot which contains a lot of protein. I don't eat things like rice, so I eat more vegetables like broccoli and this causes me to go over but I am still only at 850 calories for today but I am so over in protein.

I wouldn't worry about it for now, diva. Just concentrate on recording everything that you consume (even samples) in your food diary. After a month, look it all over, then decide where to adjust your intake, which foods might be better choices in order to stay within the limits.

For a good example of how to choose which foods, check out http://www.zonediet.com.

All the best!!

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.