HRM - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly?

Options
2»

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, my treadmill, as well as the cardio machines at the gym overestimate calories a LOT. Example: Last Saturday I ran on my treadmill for an hour. The treadmill estimated about 900 calories. My hrm said I burned about 500. Since my hrm is programed with my gender, age, height and current weight I assume it's much more accurate. I consider my hrm one of my top three most important fitness purchases (along with good running shoes and a gym membership).

Since I often eat back my exercise calories, having a very accurate count of what I burned is important.
  • mistymorgan1985
    Options
    I have body media...
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ,that seems to be the favored HRM. Do you happen to remember what the average descrepancy was from MFP and the HRM?

For me MFP overestimated my calories by as much as 400-500cals per hour of vigorous exercise. I have FT60 and I love it :)

It varries for individuals. For me MFP was like 30-40% too high, but for my husband its only 10-25% too high. We both have FT40's and love them. Although I'm having to tigthen my strap so much I worry that in six months I wont be able to tighten it enough or keep it UP.

I LOVE My HRM - and I am starting to feel naked w/o it.
  • shortandfaithful
    Options
    I have the polar ft7 and LOVE IT!!!! It even works directly with the machines at my gym. I was suprised at the differences in MFP and the HRM put I already knew MFP was high when I compared it to machine read outs. I did find out that I was way underestimating my bike rides and burn almost double what I thought :)