I CAN'T lose weight!

Options

Replies

• Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Ditch the bread. Wheat is evil and a cause of a lot of diseases and weight gain for a lot of people.
    You eat too many carbs and not enough calories for your weight and activity level. Add more fat to your diet (olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocados).
    I weigh 140 and I eat 1800 calories + I eat my exercise calories. I feel great!

What is your BMR? Have you calculated it yet?
  • Rommel_V
    Rommel_V Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Ask for thyroid and cortisol tests, and explain everything you've been doing to try to lose weight. Bring up the possibility of a thyroid condition or Cushings.
    You may not have either, but it's worth finding out.

I second this, hormones can be tricky sometimes! Hypothyroidism or cushing's syndrome is a real pain in the @ss when trying to lose weight.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What is your height? 140 is not a lot of you are tall. If you have concerns about your appearance and physique then weight lifting may help tone you up. And with that much exercise you probably aren't eating enough and that can put you at a plateau faster than anything. Find out what your BMR and your TDEE is for starters.
  • GreatVibe
    GreatVibe Posts: 87
    Options
    Im in the exact same position as u babe x :(
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You eat gold fish crackers, popcorn, bread, rice cakes, fig newton cookies and cereal. This would cause me to gain, no question. Try cutting these out. These are things i loved eating too. But when i got rid of them the weight started coming off. Good luck!! And drink your water!!lol
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jfinder11
    jfinder11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is your height? 140 is not a lot of you are tall. If you have concerns about your appearance and physique then weight lifting may help tone you up. And with that much exercise you probably aren't eating enough and that can put you at a plateau faster than anything. Find out what your BMR and your TDEE is for starters.

I'm right between 5'4" and 5'5" ...my BMR 1456 and TDEE is 2248.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    me too , it is frustrating, but i am not giving up!:grumble:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How much did you eat when you took the suppressants? Losing and then gaining it back is not quite the same as not losing at all. Do what your doctor told you to do, give it a week or two, and see what the scale says. You won't lose more than 1 lb a week on average, give or take a bit, but that is a normal rate of loss.
  • Chokis
    Options
    So you're eating barely at your BMR. How do you expect your body to function every day on such low calorie intake? Wow... Your body is in a desperate starvation mode.

Subtract 15% from your TDEE and that will be your goal to lose weight.
    You should be eating around 1900 calories a day. And I suggest that you eat your exercise calories (when you have them).
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sorry to read you are disillusioned. Ditch the diet fads and eat as clean as you can. Personally my opinion is if you eat all the good foods, then the carb/fat/protein split shouldnt matter as much as long as you feel satisfied. Have you tried incorporating more weight training in your schedule? This is fantastic for both shaping up and burning calories (although unfortunately trying to get MFP to record cals using strenght training is hit n miss). Maybe split cardio / weight training instead of just walking/cycling. Also, really the walking thing isn't going to do much unless you are getting a good sweat on (uphill). Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

I have LOST 20.9 pounds with Walking being the Main and Only exercise I am able to do. YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT WALKING.
  • jfinder11
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You eat gold fish crackers, popcorn, bread, rice cakes, fig newton cookies and cereal. This would cause me to gain, no question. Try cutting these out. These are things i loved eating too. But when i got rid of them the weight started coming off. Good luck!! And drink your water!!lol

Thanks for the idea - I added these because my nutritionist told me I wasn't getting enough carbs. I was getting headaches at work. The fig newtons I use for fuel before a bike ride, but the gold fish were just a left over snack from the airport and I definitely don't get on a regular basis!
  • jfinder11
    Options
    So you're eating barely at your BMR. How do you expect your body to function every day on such low calorie intake? Wow... Your body is in a desperate starvation mode.

Subtract 15% from your TDEE and that will be your goal to lose weight.
    You should be eating around 1900 calories a day. And I suggest that you eat your exercise calories (when you have them).

I was worried this may be the problem. But I have such a hard time eating 1800 calories. I literally feel guilty!
  • Chokis
    Options
    I would fire or sue any nutritionist who would recommend eating rice cakes and goldfish crackers as a form to add carbs to help you lose weight. You need to eat healthy, natural carbs such as veggies, fruit.
  • Chokis
    Options
    Your weight loss success is 80% food and 20% exercise. So think about your calories and what kind of food you eat.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    It really sounds like you are doing a GREAT job and it's very inspiring to hear that you are sticking with your goals after so long of a "dry spell". I myself am at a plataeu after having lost 30 lbs and would like to 2nd the reading about Eat More to "Weigh Less. It makes so much sense for me personally and by what you are saying a lot of the same signals are there for you too. I have just started increasing my calories (ultimately back up to an appropriate level to increase my metabolism back to where it should be before too many years of "crash diets") and THEN I can adjust my calories for weight loss. I think the proof in this for me thus far has been that I have drastically been able to increase my calories yet not really gain any weight so I take it that my body is learning to adapt. Do the reading it may shed some light on something else to try. It certainly couldnt hurt right?
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you need more information to lose weight. You need to know how many calories you burn each day, then you will know how much you can eat. I would try fat2fitradio.com, click 'All Calculators' to get your 'Military body fat %', then once that is known click on BMR Calculators and follow the instructions. It may be eye-opening to you.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Thanks for the idea - I added these because my nutritionist told me I wasn't getting enough carbs. I was getting headaches at work. The fig newtons I use for fuel before a bike ride, but the gold fish were just a left over snack from the airport and I definitely don't get on a regular basis!
    Make fruit your fuel. Listen to what "chokis" said, i totally agree with both posts.